+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Si gets a Systemdek lol.

Blog Entries

Default Si gets a Systemdek lol.

Hugh donated a nice Systemdek a few weeks ago. It has obviously had motor problems as it came with a spare and it was all stripped out so I decided to fit an old Premotech dc motor I had lying around. Stuck my Audiomods arm on it and boy does it sound good

The motor sits a bit low but I'm loathe to butcher the mounting plate

Si.

hey snap!!!!

I have a black systemdek and chrome arm too

welcome to the world of proper bouncing

Blog Entries

The thing I like about this Systemdek is the even bounce. You can push the platter down pretty much anywhere and the bounce is just straight up and down. Very unLinn like and feels so right aye?

My Empire hangs off the springs and bounces correctly too. It also predates the Systemdek but I don't know of any other deck of this era that does it this way. Oracle maybe?

Next stage is to turn an aluminium or acrylic platter out to fit the mdf hub.
    Si.

I think the old Duals bounce evenly, My CS505 did IIRC.

My Lenco is making a noise when spinning and it's not the screw head catching the lip of the platter because I removed that.

It's not about and even bounce, it's because it's hung, systemdek aren't the only hung deck, nor the only one with straight springs, but I think they are the only current ones doing it.

Blog Entries

Aye but Duals sit on top of the springs like old Lencos did. They weren't a bad deck in their time though and I still have a friend who uses one in his system which I occasionally service. A lot of plastic bits and pieces in it though and stands no comparison with a Lenco.

I did find out that the Oracle does indeed hang off its springs as do all the suspended Michells. I'm sure there must be others out there besides the ones mentioned on here but I can't remember.

Gary, have you had the platter off your Lenco and checked all the revolving bits and pieces? There's a braking mechanism on the right I think that may or may not be there as I can't remember if I removed it. It could be catching something.

Maybe it's time it came back here for a service/check over and have the arm removed from the top plate and refitted to the plinth.
    Si.

The Michell springs are too stiff, and are conical, most of the current hung decks are too "coupled" to work the way the systemdek does, I can think of a couple of others from the past, they sound good too.

Blog Entries

I can't think of another deck that used straight springs Paul. Most used cone shaped springs with a rubber grommet up inside like the Oracle or my Empire.

Many deck manufacturers gave up on bouncers because a solid deck is more predictable and speed stability is not so much of an issue. Oh and they're cheaper to make so ensuring a bigger profit margin lol.
    Last edited by Chops54; 7th July 2011 at 21:45. Reason: spelling
    Si.

I hear ya Si, and you are preaching to the converted, wasn't the Alphason straight springs in towers?

Blog Entries

I don't know Paul. It's one deck I've never had any dealings with though I do recall the towers sticking up. Some research is called for.

I bought my first suspended deck, an Empire 689 in 1984, second hand from Badger Sound Services in Lytham St. Annes so I've been at it a long time. Every deck I've owned since then has been suspended though I've built several that were either solid or semi decoupled. Done right a semi decoupled deck can be very good. There's always good and points in either and trick is to minimise the bad bits which I think the Systemdek does well. ( Both mine and yours though I've never had the pleasure of your newer deck )

I'll be honest here and say that with my limited ability I've found it very difficult to build a suspended deck and I've been less than successful up to pres. Spring selection is the hard bit and not having access to a large range of springs makes it all the more difficult hence the reason I tend to stick to a solid or semi design.
    Si.

Well the new deck is here, next time yer up this way.....

Re springs, yes I agree, the Dunlops get their springs made to their spec, but you cant just buy 3 or 6 in the case of the new TT

Looks very similar to my old Systemdek. Hugh didn't get it off a chap in Edinburgh did he ?

Jeez a bit of a nostalgia trip. Mines had a rectangular armboard as well. Nice deck Si.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Blog Entries

Hi Eddie, how's it going?

I don't know where Hugh got it from but I do know it sounds pretty good. I've altered the motor mount to lift the dc motor up so the base board will go back on and the belt now sits in the centre of the hub. I'm going to cut a new base board from birch ply and build a new dc psu before I move it on. I think Hugh and his mate Martin were a bit taken aback when they heard it last week, well ok quite a bit really

I have the lid and it's in very nice condition. I also have the original box and I'll be open to sensible offers when I've finished it. The arm stays with me though I'm afraid
    Si.

It did indeed come from a guy in Edinburgh and served me well till I got my Linn, great to see it back in use. I had the pleasure of hearing it in it current form and it is bloody good.

Hugh

Blog Entries

OHHH OHHH

if its eddies old unit then its one of the best units i EVER seen ...bearing was perfect when i tested it!!!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

The bearing is still perfect, in fact the whole turntable is in great condition, still has original lid and even the packaging. If I had not got the nostalgia bug to go back down the Linn route, it would still be doing sterling service in Yorkshire.
    It was sitting around doing nothing, so it is great that Simon has got it up and running. When I heard it on his system it was very good indeed, better than a Linn? I reckon it would give the Linn a good run for its money, dare I say better it?

Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by hugh View Post
    It did indeed come from a guy in Edinburgh and served me well till I got my Linn, great to see it back in use. I had the pleasure of hearing it in it current form and it is bloody good.
    Wow. I think it is my old dek. I sold it to a chap called Anthony. Spooky as I sold you my old Linn as well .

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    Hi Eddie, how's it going?
    Hi Si. Things are going well at the moment. Getting used to married life and the financial changes it brings (there will be no hifi upgrading for a while ). Everything went at 100 miles an hour before the wedding and things still haven't slowed down yet. Hopefully when we get all the finances sorted things will settle.

Cheers

Ed.

Blog Entries

I'm really pleased for you Eddie, and your missus too. Give her my regards won't you.

Aye that history lesson about the Systemdek is very interesting. Spooky too as you say. I'll bet it's never sounded as good as it does now though. Someone will end up with a very nice turntable.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    The thing I like about this Systemdek is the even bounce. You can push the platter down pretty much anywhere and the bounce is just straight up and down. Very unLinn like and feels so right aye?

My Empire hangs off the springs and bounces correctly too. It also predates the Systemdek but I don't know of any other deck of this era that does it this way. Oracle maybe?

Next stage is to turn an aluminium or acrylic platter out to fit the mdf hub.
    That systemdek i got of you simon sound's fantastic, i can't believe the jump in sound quality compared to my clear audio concept i was using. It just sounds so sweet & unforced & better base, Dougie is comming over the morra for a we listen. I have to say it has to be 1 of the best upgrades i have done to my system & that's just with the standard rega arm, god only knows what it will sound like with a realy good arm & stylis but i'm also thinking about upgrading the platter to the audio note acrylic 1 what do you think simon?

+ Reply to Thread