+ Reply to Thread

Thread: help to findcorrect fuse.

Default help to findcorrect fuse.

well i have a old set or castle acoustic richmnd2 speakers that i take in to my work occasionally if i am doing a bit of recording for pupils, i run this of a sony amp so hears the thing iwas off work a coupel of days last week,

and some child seems to have driven thethings till the internal fuse has gone ,on the trebble units one side, i have the fuse out , but its impossible to make out the value, even after cleaning the thing , etc,.
    i have looked around the web to get the value of the fuse , but cannot fid it any where , if any one can help with the information , i would be greatfull , and yes i did look at the other speaker fuse and it is also not possible for me to make out the details ,

i will order up a couple from the maplins site when i get the correct values .

so we had a set of yamaha ns 10 plugged in this after noon from anpther room , i have a head ache know!

honestly i have never ever understood these speakers, but i know they did actually inmany places act a a point of real refernace, for a cheap readily available speaker..lots of boom and fizz.

regaards
    jazz bass

Stick a 5 amp in and if it blows then try a 13.
    If that blows then try a nail.
    No dont, only joking.
    seriously, am joking about the nail.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roksoff View Post
    Stick a 5 amp in and if it blows then try a 13.
    If that blows then try a nail.
    No dont, only joking.
    seriously, am joking about the nail.

No, No No!

These will probably be 20mm glass fuses. I'd start with 100 or 200mA slow blow. If these pop then try a larger value, but at the very very maximum no higher than 1A.

the marking should be on the circumference of one of the metal ends. if you can make out ANY numbers or letters, post them and we might be able to work out what they are. if you can get a closeup photo, even better.

many thanks
    i will give the thing another look at , it is indeed a little glass thing, like the slow blow things you often get in the back of amps etc, ! infact ,you have just reminded me i think i got some a long time ago from halfords for a guitar amp i will look in ot it,

jazzbass .

I would go with Kenny's suggestion Ritchie. More likely to be a low current fuse. Had a quick look at google but couldn't find anything.
    Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. (Habakkuk 2:18)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Richie,
    Why don't you get in touch with Castle Acoutics direct and ask the question??
    I'm sure they would supply the correct fuses, or advise exactly what you require....
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    No, No No!

These will probably be 20mm glass fuses. I'd start with 100 or 200mA slow blow. If these pop then try a larger value, but at the very very maximum no higher than 1A.

the marking should be on the circumference of one of the metal ends. if you can make out ANY numbers or letters, post them and we might be able to work out what they are. if you can get a closeup photo, even better.
    Slow blow? For a speaker wouldn't you want it to go as soon as its under pressure? If its slow isn't there a chance of damage?

Ohm's Law rules? Power (watts) = I squared times R. So, for 8 Ohms, 100 Watts, you divide 100 by 8 and take square root of the 12.5 result. So the current would be about 3.5 A. Use a 3 or 4 A fuse for that.

I'm no electronics wizz though.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Blog Entries

A fast blow fuse would go every time there was a heavy transient. Most speakers can handle more than their rated value for very short periods of time, in fact the 100w would be 100W RMS (which is around 200w peak), and going over this for more than a minute or so might burn out the voice coil. However, a brief transient of 200w wouldn't cause damage.

As a rule of thumb, a 1 A fuse should handle a brief transient of 2A without blowing.

For some reason, the number 315 is in my head, but I'm not sure if that's 315mA or 3.15A

315 is a standard so the 315mA or 3.15A would be a normal easy to find fuse.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

well i am goingto give thisa try , i have the fuse , but i cannot even with a little ,magnifier thingy , make outthe writting on thething, so i have found a couple ofsame size glass fuses in my bits box, i want to just getthe speakers going again , hoping the kids havent actually blown the tweeter,

there is also a couple of htese glass amall fuses with what looks like snad in them !!! is this a heat thing , or something special,

i will keep you posted, but if any one knows please advice about these strange looking fuses ,

regards

jazz bass

also iacnnot imagine itwould be 3 amps!! it a littel tweeter protector,

also thestandard main fuseif much biggerthanthe little glass things,

jb .

The sand filled fuses are anti-surge fuses IIRC. The sand is uses to stop the fuse overheating at switch-on and blowing. I would try the lowest current glass fuse first Ritchie. Usually the low current fuses have very thin wire in them. Also, use a slow blow fuse. Slow blow fuses usually have a "T" on them to signify Time Lapse whereas a fast blow fuse has an "F" on it.
    Of what value is an idol carved by a craftsman? Or an image that teaches lies? For the one who makes it trusts in his own creation; he makes idols that cannot speak. (Habakkuk 2:18)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

Blog Entries

Just a thought, don't suppose you can take a look at the working fuse in the other speaker?

it's hard to explain but you could look at the filament inside the working fuse to see how thick it is. if it's extremely fine, then it's going to be a lower rating.

as a rule of thumb, if it's as thick as your beard or baw hair, then it's probably more than 1 Amp
    if it's as fine as a spider's web, then it's more likely to be 0.1 to 0.3 Amps.

Thumbs up thanks sorrted

well thanks for al theadvice , learnt a lot, so i gotthe glass fusein, found it worked fine, so i have sounds again

funny i havent used these spaekers for agood while at homeso igot em fired up . well they dohave it seems a bit better tweeter than a lot of the other old cheaper stuff, but there it seems is very little definition , inthe bass dept, but then again its a asking a lot of a small little thing , but pleasant enoughfor casual listenning,

from memory they cost me £30 which was about £15 morethani really wanted topay , about 6 years ago

they have what i think could be described as a old fashioned , sort or sound, but the littel boxes are solid enough and braced ,

nice big sort ofmagnet motor on the bass and also a fair sized magnet at theback or the tweeter, certainly about four times the size of the magnets,onaoldset ofkef bigcabinet things iused to own, theones with a extra non attached bass speaker!!!! GOOD PLANT POT stands , and strummingalong bass, butboyithadbasicdrivers in it.

thanks again ,

castle richmond 2 nice cheap litelboom box .

jazzbass

I have a pair of 2002 Castle Richmond 3. Nice speakers for the outlay.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

I used to have a pair of mission 770's, I'm sure that the fuses were 100ma. I did have spares but where they are,,,, if I can find them there yours, but I don't hold too much hope.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

hiya mate
    how you doing, i havent got a listenning rig , but would be good to pop overr and have a pint if you fancy it , busy as hell next two weeks,

i have a fuse in the little speakers, sounds like youve beenp grading you spinner , did you keepyou speakers or change em ,

i havent spun a record for ages, and i have several other decks that i ended up with ?? i was going toget a little rig in teh house and ne in my jazz shed , but its all gone petetong.

hope work isnt getting in the way too much

if you fancy a concert and find yone you like the sound of give me a bell,

i wil send you my phone via pm

jb.

Sure thing Jazz, you know where I am and your welcome anytime you like, bring the lovely Shirley with you.

No work isn't getting in the way, the job I had finished about a year ago, they moved to the Proffs local, and what with the wages they were paying it wasn't worth considering the move. I've only managed to pick up a couple of months work since then. I suppose that my age isn't helping things. As we all know ageism is illegal, but it happens every day.

My speakers are still the same, I'm finding that the better the front end the better the result. No folks I'm not useing a Linn/Naim system buy it doesn't stop it being true. Nomatter what improvement I make to the source the better the whole thing sounds.

I have also put a M2 Young DAC in mainly for a computer based system, but I can also now listen to morer than one cd without cringing.

Good idea about a concert I haven't been to one for a while, I'll look foreward to one.

Speak to you later, All the best.
    Coincidences - Gods way of reminding you that he's here.

+ Reply to Thread