+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Start me off, please

Default Start me off, please

OK guys. I'm old enough, big enough and ugly enough to do this. Oh yes, I can do it. No problem. Easy. Hey, we've all been there, right?

Well, here it is. Yup, no more beating around the bush. I'm coming out. For years I've like Country and Western. See, I've said it. Feel a bit odd now!

Never bought any, but really enjoyed it when it's been on "acceptable" albums.

Listening to "The Grateful Dead" doing "Me and Bobby McGee" has convinced me I need to buy some stuff. See, you've gone right off me now, haven't you?

Yes, I do like the old corny stuff, but wouldn't want to buy it.

What's current in C&W? Where should I start.

All help gratefully received.

Guy
    Know what's important, go for it, and value it when you get it.

The proper term is Country Music I believe. Why not do what all the other closet Dolly fans do and call it Americana

I'll call it whatever you like, if someone can tell me what to buy. Vinyl only, of course !

Guy

You want to get yourself some Brad Paisley for real twanging country but very well played guitar.

Union Station and Nicklecreek for Americana.

Rascall Flats have their moments but it can be a bit R&B for me. I'm told Kenny Chesney is also big at the moment

Check out this (LINK). Its the CM charts with an option to listen before you realise what a dreadful mistake you've made and you really should've sought out therapy.

If you go down this route, you are only a short line dance from a stetsun, cowboy boots and a sparkly shirt...

Few years ago there were Diamond Rio and Blackhawk.... god I'm off for a lie down...
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Whoops i mis read a bit Guy. I thought you said ' for yrs i've liked some cnut from preston'.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

This is essential Americana Guy, playing it right now.

HMV has Adams first album, Gold going cheap.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleMultiSea...yl&primaryID=0

Ryan Adams is about as far as I dare ventured into the genre incase I turn into my dad.
    Last edited by Roksoff; 24th December 2011 at 23:12.

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/search....x=0&submit.y=0

Ashes and Fire from What Records......good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    Whoops i mis read a bit Guy. I thought you said ' for yrs i've liked some cnut from preston'.

aye...the old ones are the best eh

Isn't chops into female vocal country-type stuff?

Guy as a bit of a Deadhead myself, check out anything by "The New Riders of the Purple Sage" Gerry Garcia solo albums, Buffallo Springfield, Poco also anything either individually or collectively by members of CSNY, thats assuming you are liking music with a country flavour rather that out and out C&W, (I assume you have been listening to American Beauty, or Workingmans Dead)

I also enjoy most of Alison Kraus and Union Station stuff which has more of a Bluegrass feel to it, Oh and don`t forget The Cowboy Junkies especially the Trinity Session. I am also partial to Kurt Wagner with Lambchop with is supposed to be Country but I do struggle a bit with that tag when applied to that style of music.

My out of the closet Country moment was when I realized I had just paid out good folding wedge for a Merle Haggard record. Proper C&W.... but I would not be without it in my collection.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Thanks for the advice, Guys. Much appreciated.

Andy; it was the "Skull and Roses" album I was listening to. All the Cowboy Junkies and most of the Lambchop are already in my collection. NRPS has passed me by though, so thanks for the reminder.

Thanks also ESK and Roksoff. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Looks like my ebay fingers will be busy this afternoon. My wife and I don't bother with Christmas---although we have made a prawn cocktail starter for our dinner in an attempt to be festive!

Guy

Hey Guy. Sorry i couldnt add anything consrtuctive to your thread, that genre aint my bag,but....
    I would imagine that you use Discogs but if not tis well worth registering. Ive found on numerous occasions albums being sold by ebay 'shops' in particular, selling the same album for quite a bit less. Also ive never yet bought an album off there that hasnt lived up to its listed condition.

keef.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Hi Keef

Only ever had bad experiences with buying through Discogs.

It's a pain waiting for the seller to contact you with an invoice. The process is clunky and there seem to be some very odd sellers on Discogs.

Every time I try to buy Drum'n'Bass there's a problem. Last one was "sorry, I dropped one of the 12" ers (it was a triple 12" set) when wrapping it and cracked it. You can have the others half price, though". Rubbish !

Just bought 3 x NRPS on ebay. Back soon to look for the other stuff.

Guy

Cripes ,hope i havnt spoken too soon then ,lol. Yip waiting for the invoice is a pain tbh. You start to think 'shite has he still got it, did my order get through etc etc'.

Have fun emptying yer wallet Guy.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by guypettigrew View Post
    Thanks for the advice, Guys. Much appreciated.

Andy; it was the "Skull and Roses" album I was listening to. All the Cowboy Junkies and most of the Lambchop are already in my collection. NRPS has passed me by though, so thanks for the reminder.

Thanks also ESK and Roksoff. Your recommendations are appreciated.

Looks like my ebay fingers will be busy this afternoon. My wife and I don't bother with Christmas---although we have made a prawn cocktail starter for our dinner in an attempt to be festive!

Guy
    Now there's a sensible couple. But each other something nice in the sales.

+ Reply to Thread