+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Squeezebox

Quote Originally Posted by Ems View Post
    As the wee fat man said only when the sun melts the rocks. You can have first dibs. lol
    Forecast is for a long hot summer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ems View Post
    Kenny I bought my one from Mr Logitech as a half price damaged box. There was nothing wrong with the box when it arrived so a bit of a bargain. Also when I am not using it I now have a digi clock with date etc.

Now pretend you are someone new to music/hifi and not an old head with baggage. Would you seriously buy a record player/ fancy cd player when you could have a streamer for a 120?

Ems
    I took the same plunge as you, and was similarly rewarded with a pristine box.

It's phenomenal. As I rip my CDs I'm mainly streaming internet radio, in particular the hypnagogue podcasts which I suspect Zygote will love, if he hasn't heard them already.

As a means to an end it's great. my problem is, and has always been that I've been so engrossed in something that I lose track of time. Usually I spend 20 minutes listening to one side of an LP, then 3 hrs later I realise that the stylus is still in the runout groove. With the squeezebox I can just move to the tab where the server http page is (ip address of the server, port 9000) and put another album on, or stream another radio station. The result is I'm listening to far more music than ever before. That's a result in my book!
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote23 View Post
    If you are having trouble with getting EAC to rip some dodgy discs give Dbpoweramp a try for just those discs.....works for me sometimes. I try to stick to EAC though as it's the bestest!
    yeah, it's discs that seem to have picked up a bad scratch. I'll be getting hold of some micromesh soon so hopefully I can repair them with that.
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

I do like hypnagogue though haven't listened in a while.
    Look up the following if you are after some nice electronica and floaty stuff:

Limbik Frequencies
    Cryosleep
    Bluemars
    Fluid Radio
    Soma Fm (they have shed loads of stations)

I listen to 'planet rock' on the internet radio quite a bit these days.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Blog Entries

Any particular somafm you'd recommend?

On a side note, I'm having some trouble with the media server under windows XP. the LMS is flaky and sometimes crashes for no reason, and can take up to 20 minutes to successfully restart opening the http port (9000) though the other ports are ok. think I'm going to have to build a dedicated box for the server at this rate.

I like Drone Zoone on Soma (theres a surprise!)
    Groove salad i
    Secret Agent
    Space station
    Sonic Universe

All good.

Blog Entries

Funny you should say that. currently on Drone Zone (using a softsqueeze emulation on my laptop, and got some rather tasty Ultimate Ears TripleFi.10 earbuds in)

Loving this ambient zerobeat/bleeps etc stuff. will try the other stations too. Cryosleep is still one of my first ports of call!

Blog Entries

Into mid April and I've only just made it to 'M' with the flac ripping. I've got nearly 130Gb on the laptop which I need to transfer over to the main drive at some point. I'd intended to do it at 100Gb but didn't get round to it.
    So I'm onto the fifth row of cds, each row comprising 8 benno racks and another wall mounted old Ikea rack roughly 2 bennos wide (though it's only got 10 shelves instead of the benno's 12.)
    Need more cd storage space :-/

Blog Entries

Finally completed ripping my main collection, A-Z artists. that's around 1700 discs. it was only when I got to 'R' I realised I could have multiple instances of EAC running and that has sped things up a bit, ripping from 2 drives on the laptop, rather than having the external hooked up to my old Xp machine and crashing EAC every time I tried to retrieve cover art.

I've still some 'mopping up' to do, various compilations, singles etc before I attempt, with some trepidation to make some sense of tagging my classical collection as I rip it. The bulk being those 'Brilliant Boxes' of Mozart and Bach.

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    Finally completed ripping my main collection, A-Z artists. that's around 1700 discs.
    You should have used dbpoweramp.......I got to about 200discs using EAC in two months and thought bollocks to this, tried dbpoweramp and polished the remaining 800 off in less than a month. It averaged about 3-5 mins to rip and Flac most discs....highly recommended (And free for a trial run of a month, but its so good I ultimately will pay for a licence)
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

I could set EAC to rip that fast as well, but I preferred accurate rips of discs over speed. Most of the ripping was done during termtime at college in between evenings I wasn't working. In fact I put it on hiatus for around 6 to 8 weeks while I finished off college work. even still, I've averaged 10 discs a day since February, which is not bad going. my CD directory is sitting at 507 Gb

+ Reply to Thread