+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SME 3012

Blog Entries

That's where all the money is, in the stylus. I'm still trying to get my head around a Red at eighty odd quid and a Black at five hundred quid. Is the difference just down to the stylus or is there something more going on inside? I'd be miffed if the price difference was purely down to the stylus.
    Si.

No its not, if you read the Ortofon website the mechanism inside a bronze / black is considerably more complicated than the red / blue.

You can turn a red into a Blue simply by swopping stylii. ( you may remember a few years ago I did this) You can turn a bronze into a black by doing the same but you cant turn a red or a blue into a bronze or a black as the motor is different.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

Apart from a bit of silver plated copper wire and different plastic for the body ( Lexan is it? ) I can't think what the difference between engines is. All styluses are interchangeable and that has been done ie a Black stylus in a Red body. The outcome was reported as not being as good the Black stylus in its own body and this was put down to the different body material. My own opinion is that Ortofon are making a big profit on the Black to counter the much smaller margin on the lesser models. Irrespective of all that I'd buy one myself at the right money as I'm fast becoming disillusioned with MCs. I'm looking forward to listening to yours.
    Si.

"The 2M Black uses a special upgraded engine, featuring split pole pins with a silver plated copper wire."

But of course that could just be a load of old HiFi bollox for" we have you by the short and curlies now pay up, this upgraded engine costs us hmmmm an extra 5 to produce" and thinking about it it likely is LOL
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

They all have split pole pins. It just makes me think because they didn't want to pony up to alter the tooling slightly so that the two top styluses wouldn't fit the two bottom line carts. I certainly think they missed a trick there.
    Si.

So as suspected "Hi Fi bollox" LOL

Blog Entries

It's maybe not all " hifi bollox" Andy but I think most manufacturers are guilty of a bit of BS.
    Si.

Blog Entries

Hey Andy, if you're still on for tomorrow afternoon what times kick off?
    Si.

Hi mate, can we give it a miss I am completely snowed under. I will give you a shout next week if its any better then.

Si unless you just fancy a couple of hours, I can't afford to do the full day but if you fancied say 2.00pm while 4.30pm then I can probably manage that?

Blog Entries

Andy, if you're too busy don't worry about it mate. We'll do it another time.
    Si.

Si I would actually enjoy a couple or three hours as a break from this workload, "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" and all that, So if you came across at 1.00 to 1.30pm we could get a good 2 or 3 hours in. I will be working most of the weekend anyway. So if your up for that, then lets do it.

Andy

Blog Entries

Ok for me Andy, I just didn't want to stop you from working. I'll set of at one o'clock.
    Si.

Good to see you pal your knees get better everytime I see you. I guess you will be back to work by the end of the year or maybe even sooner

A

Blog Entries

Hey up Andy, I enjoyed our bit of a session yesterday mate. Have to say that the Stanton didn't disgrace itself did it. Ok not the last word in finesse but I didn't feel there was that much wrong with the music. Get that Black fitted and set up and I'll be back over for another go.
    Aye my knees are improving every day. My left knee is fine after just four months and my right knee is so much better after just one month so I'm setting my sights on a return to work around the end of October.
    Si.

I know timing is bad but could this be what we spoke about last week?

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread...Black-Goldline

Blog Entries

Yes indeed Andy. I looked at similar on ebay the other day, it could even be the same cart but something put me off. I think it was the positioning of the plate underneath, though this one looks ok.
    I can afford it though I doubt Jean would be impressed after my recent spate of therapeutic spending.
    Si.

+ Reply to Thread