+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Plattamat 2 - now in black!

Hi John
    I'd like to get one of your new mats for my TD150
    Robert
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Drop us a line Robert and we'll sort it out for you. Hoping all is well with you in LA?

Regards

John

Hi

Fancy one of these...will I need to adjust the arm height of my lp12 if I replace the felt mat with one of these mats? It was set up by J7 so don't want to mess about with it....arm and cart are origin live ol1 and dynavector 20xl.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike.

Plattamat 2 measurers 2mm in thickness. Linn Felt mats have come in a number of thicknesses over the years with the latest being the thinnest thus far, being 1.5mm.

Given that you have an OL 1 arm you're obviously not OC about VTA as changing this parameter to accommodate varying LP thickness would be a lot of hassle to say the least.

From my point of view I have found VTA to have a large bearing on playback quality, especially with respect to sibilance which drives me nuts as I'm very sensitive to it. But I have also found hat VTA has a tolerance band- a window if you like where everything snaps into place and sibilance is minimised or eradicated. I am also very aware that sibilance is dependant on the recording or pressing quality too. Basically, I don't feel the difference in mat thickness will give you a problem.

Regards

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 23rd July 2013 at 13:42.

I read this article, or maybe it was one similar, a few years ago.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/vta_e.html

Maybe this is overly dismissive of VTA -- I don't know. It did, however, put it in a perspective that let me relax a little. Suffice to put my tone arm parallel to the record by quick reference to it's reflection off an LP. Stopped in their tracks my obsessive thoughts propelling me to find some fancy expensive gizmo to measure VTA with microscopic precision.

Hi Tubey.

Very interesting article with a pragmatic conclusion and one that I basically cannot disagree with, which is there's no point in being anal over VTA.

Yes, I agree it is important as I for one can hear the effects of it being out of the "window" quite clearly.

When setting up my cartridges, I set the alignment, then the tracking weight and then VTA by eye, as a starting point ensuring the bottom of the cartridge body is level with the record surface. I then double check alignment, (I'm anal over cart alignment) VTW and then I listen carefully making necessary VTA/VTW adjustments to minimise effects of sibilance and to achieve best bass response and overall "joie de vivre".

Regards

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 24th July 2013 at 17:44.

Thumbs up Plattamat-2

I just swapped my original felt mat for a Plattamat-2, what a difference .... fit and finish on the LP-12 platter is first class.

Difference in sound is; virtually silent on lead in, tighter bass, little more space in the imaging and placement.

On another note: Buying from John was a pleasure, easy to work with and safe fast shipping here to Seattle.

Thanks,
    John, much appreciated.

Round two coming up shortly installing the Sole Plate VI
    LP12 Ittok VII - Rega Exact - Hercules - Quad-44 - Quad FM-4 - Quad-II's - Arcam Alpha Gen 1 Klipch Corner Horns with Crites Crossovers and Tweeters

That's great news thx! Thanks for your kind words of satisfaction...

If you're pleased with what Plattamat 2 does for your music you're in for a real surprise treat with the effects of Sole VI and its partnering arm board.

Cheers

John R

Stuck one of these on the LP12 this morning, have to confess to being quite pleased with it. I need to have a proper listen to see if it's altered the sound much but regardless the appearance of the deck is much better, the old felt mat was always full of cat hairs and fluff plus wouldn't always sit flat on the deck. The PM2 looks a lot more engineered and considered, it fits tight over the spindle and needs a reassuring shove to get it in place. Worth the money if all it brings are cosmetic improvements.

You will soon have a turbo charged LP12 XR2 with two white stripes across it. Glad you're enjoying your vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    Stuck one of these on the LP12 this morning, have to confess to being quite pleased with it. I need to have a proper listen to see if it's altered the sound much but regardless the appearance of the deck is much better, the old felt mat was always full of cat hairs and fluff plus wouldn't always sit flat on the deck. The PM2 looks a lot more engineered and considered, it fits tight over the spindle and needs a reassuring shove to get it in place. Worth the money if all it brings are cosmetic improvements.
    Glad you like it qube.. Here's some feedback from a very recent customer who received the full Ai treatment last Thursday.....

"John,
    We are both sitting here stunned, I've genuinely never heard such a big upgrade! Rhythm detail and another couple of octaves. Every album is like brand new
    I'm stunned, far more than I could have hoped for"

Kind regards.

John R.

It's certainly getting there, new cart next.

Incidentally my first car was an XR2 was badass!

Just like this:

That one has been looked after.

Was marshalling at the Lombard RAC rally one year when a spectator pulled up in one of those, white, pepper pot wheels and two girls. Got a bad vibe when I directed him to parking, he was more than a touch cocky. Minutes later he ran back up the track covered in mud asking for assistance. He tried to impress his passengers and handbrake turned in the car park. Hit a rut and flipped it onto its roof in a foot of water. Not so cocky now! I was a Metro Turbo driver so no love lost there!

Come on guys let's please not wander off topic, this thread is for discussion of our products - not cars.

I'm sure your motoring history can be discussed in a more appropriate room

John R

I didn't start it

No harm meant John I'm sure, just a bit of banter. If you want me or another mod to move the offending posts to clean up your thread it's not a problem.

PS. Cars have mats and sub chassis.

I understand that m8 and I appreciate your offer to clean up.

I agree no harm done, I just don't want it to get out of hand as it can make it frustrating for anyone who's not a member of our forum who may be looking for feedback on our products, casual wandering and any associated trimming has the potential to screw up continuity - that's all.

I just hope peeps can get back on track.

Kindest regards.

John R.

Blog Entries

just tested my new platter mat ...and FANTASTIC!!!

the bass has really got a little more firm ...early days yet but I'm loving the test..

and the best thing is i can not worry about the old felt mat lift off with static on the record (and falling down on my xv-1T )

well done John ...really nice product

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Nice one j. I would imagine that the old fruit box will be unrecognisable sonically after all of John's mods.

+ Reply to Thread