+ Reply to Thread

Thread: computer softwear advice right direction basic stuff

Default computer softwear advice right direction basic stuff

so i am in hear again looking to pick a few brains,
    i have a computter ! it a reasonably up to date thing running windows xp home version , but i dont have any usefull word processing , it has a little note pad thingy, but i cannot open anu of my work stuff, am i rihght to think the most common /used is microsoft word, . if so , i only need a basic version to open attachments from work , what do i ask for , and a idea of the cost of said programme, i have also loaded on the computter , adobe but not sure how to use it , or what it is /does .

a mate also loaded a open office rpogramme which was supposed to get me going , but i cannot sent anything back with this as my work doesent open it , at all , .

do computter shops charge much to load the programmes etc, . i am also it seems missing a dl3 ??? it comes up at the start of every session i open the computter, . it recomend i load ths or that back , i havent a clue, i did get the computter from a propper shop , but every time i go in i get stung for this and that, .

it took about 20 hourse to upload the first set of up loads i wasent told this so i ended up unplugging it , as i didnt know what was going on , took it back to the shop and the buggers charged me to load it up again at the shop , so sadly i will not be using them , andhave told my mates also , .

i had hoped if i brought a new computter rom a shop it would be up and ready to go from the box !!

anyway

thank you guys for any suggestions etc,.

jb

Check out 'open office' Ritchie. It's free and works like Microsoft office.

Google it.

Oh and if you need to dowload stuff bring it to me at shop or home, we have fast broadband in both places.

RE your problem of opening stuff at work which you have done at home with Open Office - thi_s is probably due to an option in the "save as" function which you have not clicked on. Look to open (by clicking on the arrow to the right) the "format" choices when you save work to choose Word (.doc) format.
    The word processor in Open Office is not that bad (I have had problems with the spreadsheet with Excel files though)
    As many concerts as I can afford, preferably abroad.

oops i missed the bit about open office already, Nigel is correct of course. for documents already on work computer try right clicking on the file and using the command. 'open as' and chose word document.

well what a helpfull bunch you are all in hear , thank you very much , i will try all the various advice,

yes i have the open office, i will do some trying out to get used to opening the files, but when the attachment says down load and then play of save i have done both but i doont have a clue where it goes to , but some times it does open up a a pile of jumbled letters and signs, so i guess i still have to work out how to use the computter,

i know i should not go any were near the things, a pencil is plenty for me , .

mind you i am pritty good at me tunes etc , it must make some of you laugh you bum off with me struggling to do basic putter stuff,..

i recon putters should be made a lot smarted than they are ,

many thnaks proff for the kind offer, very nice,i am just going to try to keep on with the programmes etc, .

so any advice re microsoft word, which version , can i just get a version form say 3 years ago , hope to get something for a but of a reduction ,

also what do i need to buy , there is student./home etc, i am literally after just the very basic thing it will be plenty , no graphs etc, needed..

regards

jb

+ Reply to Thread