+ Reply to Thread

Thread: General classical blog

Default General classical blog

I've been ploughing through and getting to grips with Mozart's last six symphonies, which I have in a box set - EMI SLS 809 four record set - Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic. There's a rehearsal LP in which Karajan speaks in German but there's a useful English translation in the comprehensive booklet. The most familiar symphony in this set is No. 40, which doesn't have a name attached to it (neither does No. 39), whereas four others do and are known as Haffner (No. 35), Linz (No. 36), Prague (No. 38) and Jupiter (No. 41). I wonder what happened to Symphony No. 37.

This list of Mozart symphonies of spurious or doubtful authenticity contains 39 symphonic works where an initial attribution to Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart has subsequently been proved spurious, or is the subject of continuing doubt. The number of symphonies actually written by Mozart is imprecisely known; of the 41 formally numbered, three (Nos 2, 3 and 37) are established as by other composers and another, No. 11, is considered by scholars to be of uncertain authorship. Outside the accepted sequence 1–41, however, there are around twenty other genuine Mozart symphonies,[1] and beyond these, a larger number of problematic works which have not been authenticated as Mozart's.
    I hope this helps TIU.
    ''I doubt, therefore I think. I think therefore I am'' Rene Descartes

Really enjoying Wayne Marshall conducting a French orchestra playing classical music from films, on Sky Arts.

+ Reply to Thread