+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Avondale Alpha 8's

Blog Entries

Default Avondale Alpha 8's

Bit of a foray into solid state recently. I built a pair of Avondale Voyagers for a bit of fun at the beginning of last year to compare with my valve amps but then a pair of early NCC200s came up for sale so I bought them. I didn't realise at the time that they weren't NCCs but one of Les's earlier creations, the Alpha 8. The cases were too big and ugly so I decided to strip them down and refit them into Naim shoebox enclosures.
    Here's one of the original enclosures.

And this is what's in them,

Trial fitting the parts in the new enclosures,

Everything bolted in and wired,

And the finished monos. I turned the knobs myself in the workshop.

These are now in use in the upstairs system and I'm very happy with them so much so that I've bought some genuine Naim amplifier boards to build another pair of killer monos which I'll probably sell on and I have another set of Les's finest to put together for someone else
    Si.

Thumbs up

They look superb Si well done, so much better than the originals.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Look schmook. How do they sound?

Euan.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Ah!! already heard how they sound, they a bloody good.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

Yes they are good. I'm not a solid state man but I can live with these. The chances of me having valve amps in the upstairs system again are looking remote.
    Hell Andy, I went over to Tony L's the other week with Dougie and he using a Quad 306 or something
    Si.

LOL I heard you and Dougie had visited. I was over there myself last week. He bought the Quad a couple of months ago. I am really enjoying mine too Si I have owned one for nearly a year now.

Looking very good chops!

I'm very much an Avondale Audio convert. Les W is a good friend and a gentleman who is a genius with audio equipment. All my amplification, phono stage and power supplies are Avondale Audio, with J7's Pu7 on my Ai LP12 I'm in heaven -- Oh' LS are Acoustic Energy AE1's all of which suits my room to perfection!

I've also bought my mates rosewood plinthed LP12 yesterday - I've just serviced it and going to give it a run tonight.

Regards.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 12th January 2013 at 20:31.

Blog Entries

Are those original AE1s John?

I've got my Napa boards btw. Bought from misterc6 over on the Fish he reckons that with a few Avondale mods a la NCCs these will make a killer pair of monos. Work starts soon
    Si.

Hello Si.

Yes Sir, my AE1's are the original mark 1 in rosewood veneer, they help music sound wonderful in my system/room.

I know Malcolm fairly well, he's a genuine guy and very knowledgeable too, so if he says they'll sound good - sound good they will!

Kind regards

John

+ Reply to Thread