+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Farkin computers!

Default Farkin computers!

I have a love/hate relationship with em, mainly these days i hate the bloody things.
    About a year ago i got a nasty trojan virus from somewhere, thought it might have been either here or another forum but i now suspect facepuke, it required a complete bloody re-install, lost a whole load of pictures i hadnay got around to backing up externally. So much for avg

Anyhow i threw a braxy and wiped/deleted everything from forums etc, then fell out with my broadband/phone suppliers, they raised the price halfway through the year, not so much a contract as a con.

Im now using a net dongle thingie and mobile phone, when they run out thats it for the month but i dont get an escalating monthly bill, so far so good, it means i can come here for a winge/laugh etc again. It's good to talk eh

Just re negotiated my broadband deal with BT. Unlimited (? Don't suppose I'll ever be putting that to the test) downloads, free weekend an evening calls for £13 a month for the year. Just need to remember to phone in a year to re-negotiate.

Don't need the telly deal and can't get Infinity yet.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Know what you mean Davy. I've had to wipe/reinstall everything twice because of a virus. I recently bought a new computer and the memory was faulty, then the graphics card was found to be faulty aswell. Sent it back and they charged me £40 for the privelidge of looking at it and then i got it back with a new graphics card. All working fine since but sometimes i wonder if computers are worth the hasssle. I have a fair amount of knowledge regarding them but i don't wish to imagine what a novice would do if they were faced with the same scenario.
    Do to others as you would have them do to you. (Luke 6:31)

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

if all you do is surf, email, WP, some simple games, and social media, then a tablet device is all you really need. My Ipad is used more than my Macbook Pro, a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    if all you do is surf, email, WP, some simple games, and social media, then a tablet device is all you really need. My Ipad is used more than my Macbook Pro, a lot more.
    Yep. I reckon the days of the big desktop computer are numbered.....and i reckon microsoft should be quaking in their boots. Windows 8 probably the last add-on OS ???

From that time on Jesus began to preach, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven has come near.” (Matthew 4:17)

With luck eddie, i cant keep up with all this bullsh*t, how many new OS in the last few yrs?

The big desktop (now in the loft) had XP, the laptop has Vista, the wee netbook has 7 (it's only used for playing flac music files it's all it's good for) id probably get a mac book if i started from scratch, it's a bloody mess of OS then theres the nerds constantly trying to shut the net down with viruses.

Anyone remember CB radio, those were the days eh

Quote Originally Posted by davym View Post
    With luck eddie, i cant keep up with all this bullsh*t, how many new OS in the last few yrs?

The big desktop (now in the loft) had XP, the laptop has Vista, the wee netbook has 7 (it's only used for playing flac music files it's all it's good for) id probably get a mac book if i started from scratch, it's a bloody mess of OS then theres the nerds constantly trying to shut the net down with viruses.

Anyone remember CB radio, those were the days eh
    Oh yes. I remember it well. You could talk to someone at the end of the street!

I did meet a good mate of mine on CB radio. Known him since i was 15.

It was all so innocent in those days. I also remember the big rallies to make CB radio legal

Aye it's wierd what motivates people to demonstrate in this country, i recon it was the legalisation that killed it, no more up yours to the government. Maybe they should have learned something there eh.

Totaly off topic. Tried to pm you davy but you either cant be arsed with pms or you cant be arsed ,lol.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Thats odd, no wonder i dont get any messages, no one can be arsed

Ah just checked out the messages settings, seems to have been turned off but i dont remember doing it. Should work ok now, let me know if it does'nt eh.
    Last edited by davym; 16th January 2013 at 20:40.

Anyone know how to copy music files (or any files) onto a tablet? I connected a memory stick and a message briefly appears to say it's mounted but I can't see or access what's on the stick. It's an Android OS.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Anyone know how to copy music files (or any files) onto a tablet? I connected a memory stick and a message briefly appears to say it's mounted but I can't see or access what's on the stick. It's an Android OS.
    not 100% sure how you do it with an android tablet, but best way is probably add it to desktop music client, and sync it across to the tablet. As for a memory stick, not sure i can only use one of them with an ipad and an extra connector which i don't have

The tablet is supplied with two short USB cables - one female and one male. I've now tried both (I connected it to my mac) but to no avail and I'm reluctant to (attempt to) connect it to the PC because I had a hell of a time last night getting the music off the PC and onto the memory stick, which is the reason I bought Alison the tablet - the PC is the biggest pile o shite I've ever used. With my phone, I connect it to my mac and the memory card appears on the desktop so I can add or delete files. I presumed the same thing would happen with the tablet but no. It seems odd that the only way of getting music on there is to download it from the web.

The apple stuff does it all the syncing wirelessly now, i can't remember the last time I connected either of them directly to the computer, so I'm not much help with your android one, Charlies Samsung phone uses a dedicated program that includes clients for pics, video, music etc, that has to be installed first, and you import or rip your files into the program, called 'Samsung Kies' i works fine for Charlies phone and loads all the media onto the user replaceable Micro SD card in the phone, I think you can choose to use the internal memory, but it's not large enough in our case.

You can use Kies to transfer stuff to and from your phone when plugged into your computer. Not sure it can be used for a tablet though. My android tablet came with a short female usb lead. You can plug a memory stick directly into the lead and the mini usb connector into the tablet. That should work. You may have to do a little jiggery pokery with the tablet (think its in settings....usb).

Bloody computers, adobe flash player updated itself and my internet slowed to a crawl, un-installed it and everything is back to normal - poor but working!

How much of our lives gets wasted trying to get these dam things to work!

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    You can use Kies to transfer stuff to and from your phone when plugged into your computer. Not sure it can be used for a tablet though. My android tablet came with a short female usb lead. You can plug a memory stick directly into the lead and the mini usb connector into the tablet. That should work. You may have to do a little jiggery pokery with the tablet (think its in settings....usb).
    That's what I did Umberto - plugged the stick into the female USB, a message appears briefly saying the USB device is mounted but there's nothing in the settings or anywhere else to access what's on the stick. When I pulled the stick out it reports something unexpected occurred but there's nothing there to unmount it.

Quote Originally Posted by davym View Post
    Bloody computers, adobe flash player updated itself and my internet slowed to a crawl, un-installed it and everything is back to normal - poor but working!

How much of our lives gets wasted trying to get these dam things to work!
    Skype, which I never use, updated the other day without any problem and then wouldn't open, reporting 'this version is not supported on this architecture', LOl.

Aye thats typical, i hate it when i hav'nt used the bloody thing for a week or so. Switch on, go online and have to wait ages while half a dozen updates come in.

I figured how to copy the music files onto the tablet. Firstly it was registering the memory stick as a USB storage device in the Storage settings and then using the File Manager and tapping and holding briefly to bring up contextual menus.

+ Reply to Thread