+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hello everybody,

While on ships, I had a good friend of mine from a place called, "Isle aux Morts" (Island of the Dead) on the Southwest Coast of Newfoundland. He was of Irish descent. If he spoke fast, which he had a habit of doing while drinking, that was it, nobody could make what he was saying. One time in a pub in Ireland, playing darts and shuffleboard with the locals, they all though he was from their neighbourhood. They could converse with each other without any problems, except for us, the Canadians, we were all left in the dark.

But you know if one pays close attention, we can always glen a few words here and there.
    Like, "pedie brither shat a swabie frim is punt"
    "pedie" it's kind of funny but, it's a French word, meaning "petit" = small
    Je me Souviens,
    Ŕ force de contempler la mer, on fini un jour par la prendre.

Hi André,

Good to have another on here who shares older equipment.
    I have just returned from a wee gathering last night of some people and we were just discussing Gaelic music as one of them was a piper,Gordon;-) He plays the pipes as well as other instruments and he was saying he sings many songs in Gaelic, although he does not understand a word of it.
    He was taught to sing phonetically though at some school of music, very young.

Carol

A lot of foreign bands such as Abba sung in English phonetically at the start of their careers. Agnetha singing in Gaelic, that would be something.

Not bad, I got two words the first time listening to it, and then, it went down to one word the second time. I had made a mistake.
    Je me Souviens,

Thanks, roslin
    Je me Souviens,

Since it's a forum dedicated to music, amongts other things, I should tell you what I listen to, what I like...

Jazz (most, but especially Latin) Classical (some, not all genre), Blues, Bluegrass, Reggae, old Rock, mainly from the 60s, 70s, and 80s, New Flamingo, Folks, . Instrumental would be, guitar, violin, and Sax, although I also like other type.

Nova Scotia is popular for Celtic music, Acadian music, which at time I tend to favour for a change of pace. Ashley MacIsaac & Buddy MacMaster are two of the best here.
    There is a good mixture of style between the Celtic and the Acadian type of Folks music.... Here is an example,
    Ashley MacIssac & JP Cormier with Marc Boudreau and Allan Dewar Jig... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaHZJvZaAiQ

I will have to get myself better acquainted with your forum, where to post, etc...
    Je me Souviens,

Ach ,just bodge around . Thats what I does .

If you log in and notice that the posts on the home page havnt changed for a couple of days , thats normal. Nowt to do wi the sites software , we pretty much all tend to go awol now and again.

Spinnin today is a good place for ya to bang in some posts.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

OK, Thanks KB1
    Je me Souviens,

If you log in and notice that the posts on the home page havnt changed for a couple of days , thats normal. Nowt to do wi the sites software , we pretty much all tend to go awol now and again.[/QUOTE]

I go awol quite often these days it's more lightly due to not having a proper internet provider, we use a net dongle which runs out far too quickly and is topped up far too infrequently. When i go awol sadly so does the missis (Nikki) same reason obviously

If i can get back to some sort of regular work i intend to sort this but it's the best we can do for now im afraid.

Enjoy the forum though, there are some real characters on here even though it's a small-ish family

Welcome from New Zealand moinau , I've got something here you may recogniseoracle_alexandria.jpg
    ''I doubt, therefore I think. I think therefore I am'' Rene Descartes

Aye, welcome Moinau...... Great read this thread already and some lovely phot's of your gear.

Wot's the name on your ship's badge? Can't read it from here (too far away!), but used to make them things as part of my life in the RN for thirty odd years....

Regards,

Gordon.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Blog Entries

yea nice pics and welcome onboard!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Hello Plinius,
    Isn't she beautiful, where did you get that one.? Extremely rare specimen, I believe from 1983 or so. One of the best belt driven TT
    Take care of this turntable. I collect old TTs, and wouldn't mind having one of those.
    Je me Souviens,

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Aye, welcome Moinau...... Great read this thread already and some lovely phot's of your gear.

Wot's the name on your ship's badge? Can't read it from here (too far away!), but used to make them things as part of my life in the RN for thirty odd years....

Regards,

Gordon.

Hello Gordon,

Was in for 37 years, we might have done a few exercises together. Sailed on HMCS Bonaventure, HMCS Fraser, HMCS Skeena, and finally, my last ship, HMCS Athabaskan (DDG), first launched as a Tribal Class then renamed, the Iroquois class.
    This is the badge, a better view of it, She is the third of her class, hull # 282

Edited: 07/02/2013 23:24hrs
    Last edited by moinau; 8th February 2013 at 03:26. Reason: Smaller Badge
    Je me Souviens,

Thanks j7
    Je me Souviens,

Quote Originally Posted by moinau View Post
    Hello Plinius,
    Isn't she beautiful, where did you get that one.? Extremely rare specimen, I believe from 1983 or so. One of the best belt driven TT
    Take care of this turntable. I collect old TTs, and wouldn't mind having one of those.
    It sits beside a Sota Sapphire in my main system, other t/ts are 2x Thorens 125mkII , TD160 Super , Denon DP790 & Luxman PD277.
    The photo is off the net , mine is in better condition , I bought it from the importer at special dealer price in 1984, choice of cartridges at the time were a Dynavector Diamond Karat or Supex 900 SuperEVII , I chose the Supex ! The worst part about it was that I was reasonably happy with my Linn Sondek / Ittok - Denon 103D , until I heard the Oracle.
    I'll get some actual images up next week if you are interested , I have a friend coming around to show me how to reduce my photos to the acceptable size.
    On another note , I had a pair of Dynaco Aperiodic 25s in 1979 & still wish I hadn't sold them
    Last edited by Plinius; 6th February 2013 at 06:29.

Quote Originally Posted by moinau View Post
    Hello Gordon,
    You think I could of found a smaller badge
    Yep, but I'm sure one of the Mod's can reduce it down a bit.....

If you open a photo like that in MS Office Picture Manager, it's quite easy to reduce down (or enlarge) and not lose any of the detail...

I suspect we could have crossed paths on some exercises and I served on two of the UK Tribals in my early days. None left nowadays, although I suspect that Indonesia may still be running a couple!!!!! The rest were either sold elsewhere, or used as target practice.

G
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Yep, but I'm sure one of the Mod's can reduce it down a bit.....

If you open a photo like that in MS Office Picture Manager, it's quite easy to reduce down (or enlarge) and not lose any of the detail...

I suspect we could have crossed paths on some exercises and I served on two of the UK Tribals in my early days. None left nowadays, although I suspect that Indonesia may still be running a couple!!!!! The rest were either sold elsewhere, or used as target practice.

G

Hello Gordon,

Finally found a way to conform,

Regards

André
    Je me Souviens,

Quote Originally Posted by Plinius View Post
    It sits beside a Sota Sapphire in my main system, other t/ts are 2x Thorens 125mkII , TD160 Super , Denon DP790 & Luxman PD277.
    The photo is off the net , mine is in better condition , I bought it from the importer at special dealer price in 1984, choice of cartridges at the time were a Dynavector Diamond Karat or Supex 900 SuperEVII , I chose the Supex ! The worst part about it was that I was reasonably happy with my Linn Sondek / Ittok - Denon 103D , until I heard the Oracle.
    I'll get some actual images up next week if you are interested , I have a friend coming around to show me how to reduce my photos to the acceptable size.
    On another note , I had a pair of Dynaco Aperiodic 25s in 1979 & still wish I hadn't sold them
    Hello Plinius,

Bar none, I like them all. This is the type, and style of TTs that I like, Denon, AR, Thorens, Sota, Linn, and others of the same looks. Although modern looking TTs are excellent, their look does not appeal to me, nothing against them mind you, just a matter of taste.
    I'm now looking to acquire another TD-125 or the MK II, the last one I had went to a good friend of mine, should of kept it I suppose, but...
    I would like to see more pics of your turntables, especially the Oracle and one of your TD-125 MK II, if you don't mind. Did you keep the original tonearm on your 125, the TP16, or did you try something else. "Peak Audio" a dealer here in Halifax has the same Denon; It's not for sale, he uses it to demo cartridges and as a way to start conversations.
    Although I though I knew a lot about cartridges, I had to read about yours, the Supex 900 Super Ev II, and found out that Supex and Koetsu are family. This will them make it an excellent cartridge, I think.

Later,

André
    Je me Souviens,

High Andre' , the EVII has an all metal bodied cartrdge with a Vital II stylus & weighs 11 grms. A limited number were available with wooden side panels, this is the rare Supex Rosewood.
    I had a Koetsu Black for a while , but it couldn't come close to the Supex , ironically of the various flavours of Koetsu, it sounds most like the Rosewood.
    I haven't owned a TP16 for many years although I still have a headshell & fews screws for one
    The TD 125 DESERVES a much better arm!
    ORACLE 2 RESIZE.jpg
    THORENS RESIZE.jpg[ATTACH]7417
    DENON RESIZE.jpg

I am sorry for the poor quality of the photos , I only have a snappy digital camera.
    Regards Peter.
    ''I doubt, therefore I think. I think therefore I am'' Rene Descartes

+ Reply to Thread