+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Experimental turntable

Default Experimental turntable

Well I eventually succumbed to trialling some low cost Direct Drive turntables of late, two TT's which are reasonably well respected non QL servo drive. Namely a Pioneer PL71 and Technics SL150 Mk 1.

I just wished to have some fun and whilst the old LP12 takes some stick on some of the forums, it has acquitted itself really well against these two - but then again perhaps one would expect it to given the chassis mods and arm in use: chrome PU7!

Anyhow, I only have the time to post a few pics of the modded SL150: It has an off board well regulated power supply, a custom plinth, made by a good friend of mine and an SME IV and AT33ptg -all caps, pots and switches have been sorted so a very nice TT with good speed stability, certainly better than a Valhalla'd and Geddoned LP12.

Just thought you Gents may like to see the old souped up Techie?

But nah its' not as good as the LP12 in my honest opinion!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by John R; 18th June 2013 at 10:34.

The money spent on all those mods could prolly have procured a none too shabby, LP12, or any number of decent tt's, I wonder why people do this. It's like buying a scooter, and adding a little engine to keep up with your pals on bikes, why not just buy a bike in the first place, you never realise the money spent, in either performance or resale, in fact often modded hifi gets less Han the billy bog standard model.

Blog Entries

I think John's just playing around like I do Paul. I do think there's a market though for hot ridding a customer's deck but I take your point about the resale value. This is one of the reasons I've left my 3012 untouched apart from a rewire.
    I happen to like the PL71 so let's see what you've been up to John.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    The money spent on all those mods could prolly have procured a none too shabby, LP12, or any number of decent tt's, I wonder why people do this. It's like buying a scooter, and adding a little engine to keep up with your pals on bikes, why not just buy a bike in the first place, you never realise the money spent, in either performance or resale, in fact often modded hifi gets less Han the billy bog standard model.
    Hi Paul I don't disagree, but a couple of points by way of a response. It's a quest for knowledge, being an engineer I always strive to reason why - "what if" so to speak? It comes naturally to me. In my day job for example, I among others are always being challenged to constantly improve machinery to maintain the competitive edge. In my younger days club racing motorcycles, I took a workaday two stroke single - an MZ 250 and but l turned it into a little race bike that often beat the Japanese competition, Suzuki RM 250's, Kawasaki KX 250's and Yamaha YZ 250's - the class I raced in was a 250 single class where most guys took Jap engines and put them into small lightweight frames but the little MZ was a blinder - still got it in fact!

This Techie cost me the princely sum of 25; the plinth was free, as my mates hobby is cabinet making and he has loads of wood available. The off board power supply I put into a Hammond case costing 13 removing the transformer from within the TT and cutting out the piss poor on board regulator, installing a simple bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitor with a nice little superior regulator I had hanging around - bingo - that little lot didn't cost much. The SME IV was a SH bargain which I doubt I'd lose any money on when sold on, the AT 33PTG was already in my cartridge armoury anyhow. All in all a very nice TT for very little dosh. So what have I learned? Well for starters my modified LP12 blows it into the weeds as far as I'm concerned - but you know why - J7's PU7 with my Sole and arm-board along with a cheap and cheerful ebony wood bodied DL103 on board - you want dynamics, transients, bass lines ? - WOW it's really no contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    I think John's just playing around like I do Paul. I do think there's a market though for hot ridding a customer's deck but I take your point about the resale value. This is one of the reasons I've left my 3012 untouched apart from a rewire.
    I happen to like the PL71 so let's see what you've been up to John.
    Hi Chops.. Bang on the money.

Yes I agree, the PL71 is very good, no doubt about it. I trialled this with a Sumiko head shell and the ebony wood bodied DL103- not as good as the modded LP12 but more to come I expect. In standard form it's not as well isolated a TT as the LP12 and Techie but/ I have some Sorbothane to trial when I get the time to make some nicer feet for it. More in due course.
    Last edited by John R; 18th June 2013 at 20:11.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    You mean, like one of these?????

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/lp...eck/1022061669

Worth every penny.....
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Blog Entries

I not sure that a wood bodied 103 is the right cart for a PL71. I've must admit I've never tried a 103 in a wood body but I've had a few in aluminium housings, acrylic and on brass plate and they're much of a muchness imo. A Benz Ace will show a well fettled 103 a clean pair of heels and I think that's a good starting point. Using a modded cart for assessment, especially something like a 103 can cloud the issue. I believe that old stalwart Richard Dunn uses a PL71.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    I not sure that a wood bodied 103 is the right cart for a PL71. I've must admit I've never tried a 103 in a wood body but I've had a few in aluminium housings, acrylic and on brass plate and they're much of a muchness imo. A Benz Ace will show a well fettled 103 a clean pair of heels and I think that's a good starting point. Using a modded cart for assessment, especially something like a 103 can cloud the issue. I believe that old stalwart Richard Dunn uses a PL71.
    Hi Chops.

To be fair the modified ebony bodied DL103 isn't the best cartridge, I didn't expect it to be great costing me a total of some 250 with the body, but it's been a whole load of fun so why not? It's not the best balanced cartridge for sure, but I've got it producing some very nice music both in the PL71 and latterly my LP12. In my opion in my modded LP12 has the edge over the PL71 by quite a margin & many will agree with me, I guess Richard Dunn may not given his views on LP12's, but he has said in the past that he was surprised by a Soled LP12 he'd heard at a bake off and the LP12 was not best sited on the floor! One day I will try a Benz - once I've sold all this surplus equipment!

Richard D is very knowledgeable on the PL71 and uses an Ortofon SPU cart I believe. I once got into a tangle with him over the arm on PL71. I mistakenly thought is was the basically the same as an R200 but now that I own one I admit Richard D was right. It may look similar to the R200 but the PL71 has the superior arm and not only in the case of a far better, ie a reliable and accurate bias system.
    Last edited by John R; 18th June 2013 at 20:13.

+ Reply to Thread