+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sole VII almost ready for listening tests

Default Sole VII almost ready for listening tests

Aye, the Sole VII is being installed this W/E for listening tests. I'll post some pics of it in the "white" too..

If it's any good I'll get it anodised or perhaps powder coated.. Clue as to how it's made this time is in its new name of Sole'd (solid).. Although it remains two piece (with very rigid connection) allowing for Linn, Naim, Rega or SME arms to be used.

I'm hoping its projected introductory price will be tempting... 685 complete with arm-board.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 3rd July 2013 at 10:04.

Blog Entries

Looking forward to some pics John.
    Si.

Cheers Si .

Pics up tomorrow.

Regards.

John R.

Here's some pics of the raw Sole VII prototype hot off the mill before development commences. If this performs as good as (or better than) Sole VI I can offer the first 10 units at an introductory price of 625-650.

John R
    Attached Images

Blog Entries

That looks very nice indeed John and I like the way the arm board integrates with the subchassis. In principle this is the total opposite of the original Sole so why the change of direction? I can't help thinking you should have done this a long time ago.
    Si.

Thanks very much Si. I am a stubborn old sod!

I decided to go this route because I feel there may be reluctance by some owners to believe my composite chassis and arm-board actually will improve their LP12's.

Those who did take the plunge and go the Sole route are all very happy and have posted their thoughts and delight. I just felt time had come to make one aesthetically similar to the Keel and GS subs, but still maintaining arm board options which may actually tip the balance for some LP12 enthusiasts, we'll see? I'll be applying some natty ideas to this upgrade, so it'll not be as simple a marriage as some may think betwixt chassis and arm-board, hence my not showing this in the pictures.

I am not expecting a step improvement in sonics with the VII over the VI - and there's still much work to do before this goes commercial, but I'm so chuffed with the performance of the Sole range over Linn steel sub-chassis ( both pre Cirkus and Cirkus variants) that I'll be very happy if this VII is as good as the VI when I've developed it.

Aiming for release early autumn.

Regards.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 7th July 2013 at 06:11.

Blog Entries

FOOOKIN ELLL

looks like youve gone all high tec on us m8!!!!

excellent work

looks as good as a keel now!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Thanks J7!

Well it looks similar to a Keel with the matrix of cells on the underside, (done primarily to catch the eye of LP12 enthusiasts) these may subtly change as my work progresses over the coming weeks. I suppose I could have gone the Greenstreet route, by making a copy, but that would be unethical.

My main thrust here is keeping the cost as low as possible, offering a great little upgrade (there's still loads of LP12's out there at reasonable prices) and versatility.

Regards

John R.

John, this is an exciting development. I always get SUDS when i check in on what you're up to. Sole Upgrade Desiring Syndrome!

Gets worse every episode! The cure is probably an inevitability.

The honeycomb design of the underside of the Keel incorporates 26 different pockets, which differ in size and depth, which I gather (according to a review on Stereophile) is to smooth out resonances without mass damping. How is the design determined? Can you take Linn's design in that respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    John, this is an exciting development. I always get SUDS when i check in on what you're up to. Sole Upgrade Desiring Syndrome!

Gets worse every episode! The cure is probably an inevitability.
    Hi Tubey.

Very kind of you to post your thoughts, you being a Sole and PU7 aficionado.. SUDS - I like it !! I'm sure we can offer you something once I've completed the development- I've installed the new Sole'd and after I've completed set up this afternoon we'll take a listen..

If I can continue to offer a nice little upgrade at a competitive cost to music enthusiasts then I'll be happy.

Regards

John R

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    The honeycomb design of the underside of the Keel incorporates 26 different pockets, which differ in size and depth, which I gather (according to a review on Stereophile) is to smooth out resonances without mass damping. How is the design determined? Can you take Linn's design in that respect?
    HI TIU.

This isn't aimed at you my friend it's just a bit of a rant that's all...

I don't doubt the quality of the Keel both sonically and build wise, the price is its biggest drawback. As such it will always be an exclusive item especially so when coupled with the Ekos SE- - at what price 6K?!! As much as I like the LP12 for the classic it is,6K for an upgrade in my opinion is obscene - of course there are the "snobbish element" who pour scorn on us somewhat more realistic mortals, people who could probably afford it but who perhaps have better uses for 6k .

The crux of the matter for me is this, (I always bang on about) it but some people just cannot accept where I'm coming from. Yes I've deliberately made it to resemble the appearance of the Keel, but that's as far as it goes it 's a visual resemblance - performance wise it'll be Sole VI and some.

Let me stress again, I will never make an exact copy of anything. Similarly, I'm not even chasing the "sound" of the Keel. I am very happy with how the Sole VI helps to make music played via vinyl on an LP12 sounds, I simply want to build on this success whilst giving those who are attracted to the aesthetics of the Keel to have it in a more cost effective package.

Yes here will always be those who want to spend on Linn upgrades - fine, who am I to stop them? I just wish those who can afford Linn upgrades would stop bitching on negatively about other 3rd part upgrades whoever's they are. I am not competing with Linn nor taking business away from them, quite simply because to people who buy 3rd party upgrades would not be in a position to buy Linn upgrades at their grossly inflated prices.

Anyhow, regarding my products I have sold over 250 Soles, 300 Plattamats and countless other bits and bobs - not bad I suppose for a cottage industry, because all our customers appear to be very happy indeed and we're proud of that.

Regards.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 15th July 2013 at 20:16.

The honeycomb design of the underside of the Keel incorporates 26 different pockets, which differ in size and depth, which I gather (according to a review on Stereophile) is to smooth out resonances without mass damping. How is the design determined?
    Well it would weigh a fucking ton for starters if twasnt hollowed out, so guessing here, the springs would be close on bottoming out. Also guessing, that the pockets are different depths to balance out weight distribution due to the coffin type shape.

Just my take from what I can see on Linns and Johns foaties.

Glad sales are going well for you John , lends a tenner .
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Let me stress again, I will never make an exact copy of anything.
    And no one has accused you of that John. Your products look very professional, good luck with the new design.

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    Well it would weigh a fucking ton for starters if twasnt hollowed out, so guessing here, the springs would be close on bottoming out. Also guessing, that the pockets are different depths to balance out weight distribution due to the coffin type shape.

Just my take from what I can see on Linns and Johns foaties.

Glad sales are going well for you John , lends a tenner .
    Thanks KB1. Heh he! One day m8!

The prototype has already cost me a bomb and the first batch will go at a special rate (well the first 10) then I've got to start recouping my investment.

Regards.

John R.

And no one has accused you of that John. Your products look very professional, good luck with the new design.
    Thanks TIU much appreciated!

Regards.

John R.

Just completed the first listening test with my Son who has a very good ear,sound staging is holographic, treble very good indeed, bass aplenty though not as I'd ideally want it. But transients, imaging and dynamics to die for! Set up is LP12, Armageddon, prototype Sole'd , PU7 Goldenageaudio re-bodied DL103 into Avondale phono (Naim 323 heavily modified) and Avondale amplification.

All in all, showing great promise... More to come as development progresses.

Regards.

John R.

That's a good report. Keep the good news coming, John.

Thanks Tubey..

Music used for the session included Paul Simon - Graceland: You can call Me Al, Under African skies (boy did Linda sound fab here). Bill Bruford: - Feels good to me, Back to the beginning. Bob Marley - Legends: No woman no cry, Buffalo soldier. Bob Dylan - Modern times: Thunder on the mountain, Rollin' and tumblin' Booker T & the MG.s. - Green onions. Rodrigo: Concierto de Aranjuez . - Ooh! did that play well..

We'll stick to these album tracks and report back as development progresses.
    Last edited by John R; 15th July 2013 at 06:10.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Thanks very much Si. I am a stubborn old sod!

I decided to go this route because I feel there may be reluctance by some owners to believe my composite chassis and arm-board actually will improve their LP12's.

Those who did take the plunge and go the Sole route are all very happy and have posted their thoughts and delight. I just felt time had come to make one aesthetically similar to the Keel and GS subs, but still maintaining arm board options which may actually tip the balance for some LP12 enthusiasts, we'll see? I'll be applying some natty ideas to this upgrade, so it'll not be as simple a marriage as some may think betwixt chassis and arm-board, hence my not showing this in the pictures.

I am not expecting a step improvement in sonics with the VII over the VI - and there's still much work to do before this goes commercial, but I'm so chuffed with the performance of the Sole range over Linn steel sub-chassis ( both pre Cirkus and Cirkus variants) that I'll be very happy if this VII is as good as the VI when I've developed it.

Aiming for release early autumn.

Regards.

John R.
    I've never had or wanted an LP12 however I do know good machining when I see it, superb is all I can say...

Hi John,

I think we have some similar tastes in music. I 've enjoyed Graceland so long and so well, and for all of the $.50 I paid for it at a garage sale. But I was delighted to spend much more, in recent months, on the new pressing. Remastered too, I think it was. Still, what's $25. for an audiophile pressing of a record like this?!

Now that you have me thinking of it, I think I better have a listen to it today!

Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    I've never had or wanted an LP12 however I do know good machining when I see it, superb is all I can say...

Very kind of you to say Big John! Unfortunately though it'll be disguised by powder coat on the arm-board and the chassis will be hidden with the LP12.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    Hi John,

I think we have some similar tastes in music. I 've enjoyed Graceland so long and so well, and for all of the $.50 I paid for it at a garage sale. But I was delighted to spend much more, in recent months, on the new pressing. Remastered too, I think it was. Still, what's $25. for an audiophile pressing of a record like this?!

Now that you have me thinking of it, I think I better have a listen to it today!
    It seems so Tubey! Glad my posting has prompted you into listening to it again - it is a superb album and one that I often use for listening tests.

I've done some tweaks and bass is dryer as a result. I know what I've got to do to now to get where I want to be with it.

Regards.

John R

+ Reply to Thread