+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sole VII almost ready for listening tests

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Unfortunately though it'll be disguised by powder coat on the arm-board and the chassis will be hidden with the LP12.
    I'm sure a transparent LP12 could be made!

[QUOTE=John R;112630]Very kind of you to say Big John! Unfortunately though it'll be disguised by powder coat on the arm-board and the chassis will be hidden with the LP12.

You can never disguise good engineering with powder coat or paint, look at j7's arms brilliant in any colour, as for hiding in an LP12, !the quality of engineering will still be AUDIBLE !the whole point of the exercise... !

!

[QUOTE=Big John;112634]
    Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Very kind of you to say Big John! Unfortunately though it'll be disguised by powder coat on the arm-board and the chassis will be hidden with the LP12.

You can never disguise good engineering with powder coat or paint, look at j7's arms brilliant in any colour, as for hiding in an LP12, !the quality of engineering will still be AUDIBLE !the whole point of the exercise... !

You have a very good point there Big John and certainly one that I won't complain about !!

Regards

John R

Over the last week, I've been undertaking some tweaks to the attachment of arm-board to sub-chassis and can now confidently state that to our ears, Sole VII has the edge over Sole VI, there's just more of everything Sole, so a natural progression that I was quietly confident we could achieve - now we have to decide on a suitable finish for the chassis and arm-boards....

Wink A stainless steel Sole

John,

Have you tried experimenting with stainless steel? I have wondered if stainless would sound better than aluminum. Would not require a coating.....of course the CNC may be more expensive....I guess it depends on what method you are using. A polished top plate and armboard would be stunning. I have never been a fan of the two-tone top of the LP-12. Make it all black or all silver but don't mix them together.....

All is well!

James
    Guilford, Indiana USA
    LP-12, Ittok, Klipschorns, La Scala, Bottlehead Paramount tube amps, Welborne Labs Ultra path tube
    BP line stage, Bottlehead Eros tube phono amp. Beautiful wife, ugly dog and 6 grandkids

Hi James.

No, I've not done anything in S/steel for the LP12. Mainly due to cost implications of protoypes,R&D and current workload on Soles etc. but also due to the physical properties of stainless steel, one such being the addition of chromium, this is makes stainless steel a little tougher to machine than carbon steel varieties let alone aluminium, though I agree aesthetically stainless steel can be fabricated and finished to look very good indeed, but I have heard the result of aluminium in place of stainless steel for the top plate - the effects are not subtle.

Regards

John R.

+ Reply to Thread