+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Won't be long now ! 10 Sole VII's ready for powder coating.

Default Won't be long now ! 10 Sole VII's ready for powder coating.

All ready to go off for powder coating on Monday, so they should be ready for release early October as planned.
    Attached Images

Up first - 10 off chassis with Linn cut arm boards, followed by boards for Naim ARO and then Rega, SMe may follow if there's enough interest.

It was gratifying to get this announcement out before Linn announced their new lower cost LP12 chassis - the "Kore". Of course this latest low cost Linn chassis improves on their original pressed steel version and now allows for a rigid (adhesive bonded) arm-board connection - big issue - you can only fit Linn arms or non Linn arms with Linn geometry. It won't be an issue for Linn fanatics, but I believe the PU7 to be a superb synergistic arm for the LP12.

So they've partly copied us in bonding aluminium! Wow!

We have a nifty armboard connection on this latest Sole VII and one which is going to be a winner.

Blog Entries

nice work there J
    for the price its a dam steal !!!!

im sure it will do well m8
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Cheers J7!

Collecting from the powder coaters tomorrow - pictures up asap - then off to the screen printers. Compared to the rest out there, these will be the bargain of the century both in terms of cost and performance.

Regards.

John R.

Blog Entries

yea its basically a KEEL for a fraction of the price

and the main advantage i can see is the fact you can fit different arm boards !!!! what a ADVANTAGE that is !
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    yea its basically a KEEL for a fraction of the price

and the main advantage i can see is the fact you can fit different arm boards !!!! what a ADVANTAGE that is !

That's a little provocative j7

Seriously, Sole VI took an age to manufacture, so I set about producing a chassis to give the improvements of the VI but was more cost effective time wise. CNC time isn't cheap though, but this gives me more time to pursue some other areas of the LP12 where I know (via experimentation) that further improvements can be wrought cost effectively. My work will now involve platters, sub platters and motors.

Sole VII looks similar to the Keel on the underside, it isn't a copy but perhaps we could say it was inspired by the Keel.

And here it is powder coated. Nice finish and quick turnaround too.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Blog Entries

JESUS that looks mint m8 !!!!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Aye just got to shift the buggers now!

So how does it compare with Sole VI?

Well it's early days, we installed it today and initial impressions are that the LP12 sounds bigger, clearer and further extended in the treble. Bass however is not a dry as with Sole VI, but some may actually prefer this presentation.

Overall, not too dissimilar to our usual Sole "sound" and the LP12 "swing" remains of course; plus the overall presentation of finish is exemplary.
    Last edited by John R; 1st October 2013 at 21:59.

Very Nice!
    Robert
    SE LP12/Sole SubChassisVIII/SSP12/Hercules-Mober DC&PSU/Roksan NimaUnipivot+sKale/ZYX R50 Bloom3 L/Whest PS30R /CambridgeAudio Azur 851A/MerlinTSM/Mytek St192DACTascamDA-3000

Cheers Robert, very kind of you to say!

Kind regards

John.

Blog Entries

does look Fantastic
    my hats off to you john...1st class job....proper big company quality of finish

im sure certain dealers would even love get some of that action !!
    Last edited by j7; 24th November 2013 at 11:36.
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Cheers j7! Vey kind of you to say m8. I think we'll forget about the dealers as they'll have their work cut out selling the sub standard kore. Of course they'll make a killing from it - it's the poor brainwashed souls I feel for.
    Last edited by John R; 24th November 2013 at 12:27.

WOW! That does look well made & familiar! Could this possibly be (nearly) as good as the Keel?

Looks a massive step forward design wise.

Are you doing trade in's John or are you dishing out Christmas presents this year ?

Quote Originally Posted by per-Sony-fied View Post
    WOW! That does look well made & familiar! Could this possibly be (nearly) as good as the Keel?

Looks a massive step forward design wise.

Are you doing trade in's John or are you dishing out Christmas presents this year ?

He heh he pSf. It's better than the Keel old chap, simply because one can change arm boards and it's a 1/4 of the cost.

Put it this way, with a PU7 on board I have no desire to aspire to a Keel. That's a total cost of 2375 for one of the best tonearms available and a real world sub chassis for the LP12 - it's a no brainer.

My sub chassis is enthusiast designed, built and developed by serious listening - it's not some corporate money making kit. It may look similar to a Keel but that's it, there are both subtle and significant differences.

Returning customers will receive special consideration for sure - all by PM of course.

Regards

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    He heh he pSf. It's better than the Keel old chap, simply because one can change arm boards and it's a 1/4 of the cost.

Put it this way, with a PU7 on board I have no desire to aspire to a Keel. That's a total cost of 2375 for one of the best tonearms available and a real world sub chassis for the LP12 - it's a no brainer.

My sub chassis is enthusiast designed, built and developed by serious listening - it's not some corporate money making kit. It may look similar to a Keel but that's it, there are both subtle and significant differences.

Returning customers will receive special consideration for sure - all by PM of course.

Regards

John R.
    I was just doing a side by side comparison & it sure does look remarkably similar machining on the underside although the armboard does have some differences.

It sure is tempting.

You mention the bass is not so dry on this revamped design which is something I was not over joyed with the MkV ?(can't remember which version I have).

If it is any where as impressive as the Keel then I might just have to change

If only one could get a demo.

Yours is very early, a V2 I believe, things have moved on a great deal since then pSf.

The bass not being as dry was with the prototype Sole VII, which I feel I've addressed with the production version via changes to the pocket sizes and depths, plus a modified arm board interface.

The demo is - you pay for it, install it and if you don't like it, send it back after 60 days (undamaged) for a refund - you get a 2month demo in ones own home! Surely this is better than listening to a Keel in a unfamiliar surroundings i.e. set up in a different room and system to ones own at a dealers with the dealer telling you what's fantastic when perhaps it's not to your ears.

Regards

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post

Well let's say given design etc it has to be at least the equal of the keel before costs taken into consideration. But let's say you have an Ittock and are considering a Keel, you can have this and a PU7 for less than the price of a Keel

Cost 2375 less minimum second hand price for tik tok at around 400 more if you have a box for it, think that's what we used to call a no brainer, and enough money left over for a nice bottle of Malt.

John be as bold as you like with your claims, others are, and as for copycat claims you will no doubt recieve, well let's just say Linn built a company on copy....I mean paying homage to an existing design

Thanks for you thoughts Prof..

And if a prospective Sole/PU7 customer has a Tik-tok in great shape he/she can possibly realise 450-500 for it sold on to offset the cost of a spectacular upgrade, which then costs 1875.

The Sole / PU7 combination has a synergy to die for, they really have.. Get a top plate that places the motor at 07:30 and use an Armageddon, Norton Airpower or Avondale TAPS to great effect- for even more gratuitous listening pleasure. I have also heard that Les W is seriously considering re-introducing his TAPS PS.

To my mind, folk buying the built down to a price Kore just want the Linn name on the arm-board.

Regards.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 1st December 2013 at 17:59.

+ Reply to Thread