+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: Sole VII available now @ 650.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default Sole VII available now @ 650.

    Picture below of Sole VII with Ai logo on't arm-board.


    With a special thank you to the prof for his work on the logo !!

    Of course, according to a certain childish Linn forum member this is "just a pile of shite cobbled together on my kitchen table" Oh how mistaken that individual is.


    John R


    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by John R; 5th October 2013 at 10:58.

  2. #2

    Default

    [QUOTE=John R;


    [B]With a special thank you to the prof for his work on the logo !![/B]

    Of course, according to a certain childish Linn forum member this is "just a pile of shite cobbled together on my kitchen table" Oh how mistaken that individual is.


    John R

    There are a number of "contributors" to forums who rubbish things without examining, Listening to, or indeed having the slightest idea whether or not it functions. Sometimes because they or a "friend" have a vested interest or because it offends some genuine or oft misplaced understanding of physics. there are probably other reasons. Until I hear something like the Professor says " A closed mouth gathers no foot"

    I have on occasion flown in the face of perceived common sense a classic example the Cartridgeman Isolator ie a piece of magic material between cartridge & headshell. I listened to it & it worked for me & have used for several years.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Blackshawhead, West Riding
    Posts
    1,239
    Rep Power
    276700

    Default

    Looks like a qwality bit of kit to me John. Good luck with it

    Andy
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

  4. #4

    Default

    I agree I neither have or want an LP12 but good kit is good kit

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    [QUOTE=Big John;113483]
    Quote Originally Posted by John R;


    [B
    With a special thank you to the prof for his work on the logo !![/B]

    Of course, according to a certain childish Linn forum member this is "just a pile of shite cobbled together on my kitchen table" Oh how mistaken that individual is.


    John R

    There are a number of "contributors" to forums who rubbish things without examining, Listening to, or indeed having the slightest idea whether or not it functions. Sometimes because they or a "friend" have a vested interest or because it offends some genuine or oft misplaced understanding of physics. there are probably other reasons. Until I hear something like the Professor says " A closed mouth gathers no foot"

    I have on occasion flown in the face of perceived common sense a classic example the Cartridgeman Isolator ie a piece of magic material between cartridge & headshell. I listened to it & it worked for me & have used for several years.
    You've hit the nail on the head there Big John. Linn forum members are not my target market anyhow, plus it's the most hostile forum I know of especially to new members who post a valid question but perhaps worded in a particular way, these are met with accusations of "troll"! It's really childish and quite unnecessary and to the likes of me, Bob of Inspire and a few others who have posted, they are positively disgusting in their behaviour and treatment of.. Strange thing is Linn actually don't complain about third party posters, all credit to them but there again discrediting them is their lack of morals with respect to what their loyal say about people they have no respect for.

    Regards.

    John R

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Looks like a qwality bit of kit to me John. Good luck with it

    Andy
    Thanks very much Andy - greatly appreciated !


    Regards

    John R

    Quote Originally Posted by Big John View Post
    I agree I neither have or want an LP12 but good kit is good kit

    Thanks again Big John.

    Regards.

    John R

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    7,867
    Rep Power
    209989

    Default

    Looks ace John. Real quality workmanship. I really hope they "fly" off the shelf.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    Cheers Eddie !

    It helps the LP12 sound every bit as good as an LP12 with a Sole VI sub-chassis and some!

    Just what I was after in all reality -what will become a thorn in the side of the competition, but a real rose in my garden. It has helped turn a Lingo'd pre Cirkus standard LP12 into something very nice indeed. Much more musicality, detail and scale over what was quite a pedestrian TT prior to the transformation.

    Kind regards.

    John.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    scotland, , United Kingdom
    Posts
    5,804
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    351393

    Default

    only 650 earth pounds???? what a bargain
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

    And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

    http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    He heh.

    And even less to any C-O-N forum LP12 owning members!

    They simply have to enquire, though I understand there's not that many members here with a standard LP12 most already have Soles, I think?


    Regards

    John R

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Next door to the Clangers
    Posts
    11,834
    Rep Power
    40369209

    Default

    Looks superb John, and a very fair price, show perhaps that the competition might be overcharging

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Looks superb John, and a very fair price, show perhaps that the competition might be overcharging
    Thanks very much Paul..

    It certainly helps an LP12 to perform as a far less "coloured" turntable. Unfortunately however, it lacks one very important characteristic that may affect sales..



    Linn forum BULLSHIT!


    Regards,

    John R.
    Last edited by John R; 14th October 2013 at 06:06.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    10 acre hayfield with elves
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    65337

    Default

    John,

    Congrats on the Sole V11! Any plans for a discussion on the manner in which the chassis and arm board are attached? I recall you hinting that there were some unique factors in the design.

    The late great Paul Klipsch wore a BULLSHIT button on the inside of his coat pocket which he would
    flash when someone would make a statement that violated the laws of physics or for that matter anything audio which he thought was wrong! ..........He was rarely wrong
    LP-12, Ittok, Klipschorns, La Scala, Bottlehead Paramount tube amps, Welborne Labs Ultra path tube
    BP line stage, Bottlehead Eros tube phono amp. Beautiful wife, ugly dog and 6 grandkids

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wylymon View Post
    John,

    Congrats on the Sole V11! Any plans for a discussion on the manner in which the chassis and arm board are attached? I recall you hinting that there were some unique factors in the design.

    The late great Paul Klipsch wore a BULLSHIT button on the inside of his coat pocket which he would
    flash when someone would make a statement that violated the laws of physics or for that matter anything audio which he thought was wrong! ..........He was rarely wrong
    Thanks Wyly..

    With respect to the arm-board attachment method, experimentation with many incarnations of Sole has shown that minimal contact area and a resultant higher torque than one would expect, I have found this has a profound influence on sound quality.

    The new Sole VII arm-board is direct coupled but has provision to accommodate a potential future modification that will be retrofittable to all Sole VII's and unlike Linn, this will be at modest cost.

    The Paul Klipsch bullshit button is a fascinating story!

    Regards

    John R.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Thanks Wyly..

    With respect to the arm-board attachment method, experimentation with many incarnations of Sole has shown that minimal contact area and a resultant higher torque than one would expect, I have found this has a profound influence on sound quality.

    The new Sole VII arm-board is direct coupled but has provision to accommodate a potential future modification that will be retrofittable to all Sole VII's and unlike Linn, this will be at modest cost.

    The Paul Klipsch bullshit button is a fascinating story!

    Regards

    John R.
    John,

    As a Mk VI owner with AI arm board can you expand further on your comment about using a higher torque to fasten the arm board than one would expect..?

    I'm wondering whether I need to get my torque screwdriver out!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    Hi Sondekker.


    Be very careful..!

    Because the steel inserts bonded into the MkVI arm board are bonded into sealed MDF and will not take too high a torque.

    By all means try experimentation but don't go too far. I found that mating the two components - arm-board and sub-chassis via three bobbins of small diameter (12mm) improved matters sonically over just a simple face to face union. If one also remembers the screws used are 4mm diameter then the annular "interface" of each is quite small, so the resultant force at play at each joint is much higher than it would be with the full face union.

    This has been taken a stage further with the VII, though now the arm board is aluminium so the steel inserts are bonded into a stronger material, therefore torque can be increased significantly over that of the VI arm board. I have made small changes to the size of the annular interface too - using a larger diameter stand-offs (bobbins) but relieved to reduce surface area at each fixing/joint.


    Kind regards

    John R.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    10,924
    Rep Power
    1792653

    Default

    Great looking piece of kit John and at an affordable price for most. I know very little about the Linn Forum but don't take any notice of inane and unqualified comments.

    Good to see the Prof getting his crayons out too.
    Last edited by TIU; 13th October 2013 at 21:14.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Hi Sondekker.


    Be very careful..!

    Because the steel inserts bonded into the MkVI arm board are bonded into sealed MDF and will not take too high a torque.

    By all means try experimentation but don't go too far. I found that mating the two components - arm-board and sub-chassis via three bobbins of small diameter (12mm) improved matters sonically over just a simple face to face union. If one also remembers the screws used are 4mm diameter then the annular "interface" of each is quite small, so the resultant force at play at each joint is much higher than it would be with the full face union.

    This has been taken a stage further with the VII, though now the arm board is aluminium so the steel inserts are bonded into a stronger material, therefore torque can be increased significantly over that of the VI arm board. I have made small changes to the size of the annular interface too - using a larger diameter stand-offs (bobbins) but relieved to reduce surface area at each fixing/joint.


    Kind regards

    John R.
    Hi John,

    Thanks for the cautionary note and detailed explanation!

    Out of pure curiosity, is it feasible to affix the latest arm board to the Mk VI sub chassis? If yes, is there likely to be any audible benefit?

    Regards

    John

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    Hi Sondekker.

    It may be feasible, but I've not done any work on it, plus I changed the hole centres slightly because of the "webbing" design on the understaide of the arm boards.


    Kind regards

    John R

  19. #19

    Default

    Oh I see. Well based on what you've said it doesn't appear to be an option after all.

    Good luck with the new sub chassis by the way. It certainly looks the part and if you feel that it out performs the Mk VI then it must be good :-)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Carmarthenshire, West Wales.
    Posts
    995
    Rep Power
    155400

    Default

    Oh so you perhaps wanted a VII arm board for your VI? I'll have to see what I can do.

    Kind regards

    John R.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts