+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Roger Waters - Part 2

It's not the same as The Final Cut. That is material left over from The Wall. If you're not sure by all means buy a CD of it. You can listen to the title track (live) on Spotify.

Anyway, responses to my questions to Diverse Vinyl:

'It has been a little confusing for us. Both records are pressed at QRP. Sony Europe have now got on board to handle the European distribution as demand has been incredible. The price is now going to be more in line with a domestic release price wise, rather than import prices, which is nice.'

'Both pressing are going to be identical and they are both being pressed at QRP. I can confirm that it is a double record.'

Which begs the question: WTF is the Amazon listing priced at 65.30? Must be a US import copy.
    Last edited by TIU; 5th May 2015 at 15:33.

Just to add my $0.02 this album is absolutely brilliant, words just don't do it justice, this is on par with Animals or the Wall, it's more Pink Floyd than Pink Floyd.

When it was originally released it was a shame it slipped under everyone's radar, I didn't know it had appeared and I've been a Floyd fan for ever, because of that endless lawsuit between Waters and Gilmour over the rights to the Pink Floyd name the media had little time for Waters, when The Division Bell eventually appeared it was a huge release despite being a fairly tame album, had Pink Floyd put out AtD instead the world would have shit their pants over how good and creative the record was (and presumably the associated tour).

Yes one can speculate that had Gilmour contributed to some of the vocals and the guitar it would have been better (or at least different) but other than that I just can't fault it. It does illustrate that whilst Gilmour is a brilliant musician he just isn't as creative or inventive as Waters.

From the get go the record grabs the listener with the Ballad of Bill Hubbard and What God Wants (God Gets!) and tells the story in the most fantastic way, you have to listen to the whole piece in one go, there are no nibbles here, there's loads going on, every time I listen to it I spot a little sound FX or snippet going on in the background that had alluded me before.

Its nothing like The Final Cut (which was only left over bits anyway) or Pros and Cons or Radio KAOS (the latter was OK but sounds very dated now), this one is a 10/10 any day of the week.

strangely it's an album thats passed me by, I liked the Final Cut, but it really was just an adjunct to The Wall, I love Radio Kaos, but don't get on with Pros and Cons...interesting you say it's like a Floyd album, I have a digital copy somewhere and i'm gonna look it out, FWIW Floyd post Waters leaves me cold, lacks something

Hard to believe that Paul, I thought it would have been a firm favourite. At first you'll hear a lot of sound effects which can dominate throughout so give it time, it is a grower. A highlight for me is both parts of Perfect Sense. The part where the female vocalist comes in always gives me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2y7c1AKyS4

I absolutely Hated Final Cut when it was released though I love it now and find The Wall unlistenable (perhaps due to the fact that I watched it every morning before college for a whole bloody year!) Pros and Cons was and still is an instant hit for me.

I love Amused to death and it would be good to have a vinyl copy though I'm not shelling out big bucks......I'm not.......well.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Hard to believe that Paul, I thought it would have been a firm favourite. At first you'll hear a lot of sound effects which can dominate throughout so give it time, it is a grower. A highlight for me is both parts of Perfect Sense. The part where the female vocalist comes in always gives me goosebumps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2y7c1AKyS4
    Weird I know, but i somehow seem to have missed this one, I knew it existed, but...I dunno, I'm gonna give it a go very soon, might rip it to the car initially, little bits often grab you in the car, warranting further exploration once home...ponders...

Quote Originally Posted by Zygote23 View Post
    I absolutely Hated Final Cut when it was released though I love it now .
    I was young at the time, it was PF and new, but first listen to 'Hero's Return' and i was 'sold' then went 20 years without having a copy, all sorted now though

I liked P&C but it never grabbed me so much. I enjoyed The Wall but it didn't really grab me until I heard the 'Is Anyone Out There' live version they brought out about a decade ago, the production on it is absolutely killer and as it was the first time the album had been released unedited (the original release was too long for the double vinyl so they cut out bits which is why there are lyrics on the sleeve that don't appear on the album) and it finally made sense and I've played the crap out of it ever since.

Not sure which Live version of 'out there' you mean Qube...gotta link?

Here you go http://www.amazon.co.uk/There-Anybod.../dp/B000031X7T

There was a vinyl version but it's very hard to find now

A vinyl version of that is rarer than Keefy opening a new LP within one hour of receiving it.

I prefer that live version over the studio recording in many respects; it's got more balls. I also have a CD copy of the film soundtrack, which is just strange (the recording, not the fact I have a CD copy of it).

Blog Entries

I'm spinning The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.
    Si.

look mommy, there's an airplane up in the sky....

Wrong album quby, it's this one:

There were Arabs with knives
    At the foot of the bed
    Right at the foot of the bed
    Oh my God how did they get in here?
    I thought we were safe home in England
    She said "Come on now kit, it was wrong what you did
    You've got to admit it was wrong."
    Oh god....jesus
    Sleep Sleep
    I know that I'm only dreaming
    Leave her alone..get out..out..get out of my house
    Through closed eyes
    I see West German skies on the ceiling
    And I want to get back
    To the girl with the rucksack
    To feel her flaxen hair
    I want to be there
    See the sun going down
    Behind Krupps steelworks
    On the outskirts of some German town

Guten Abend meiner Damen und Herren Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Willkommen in Konigsburg Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Wollen zie danzen mit mir oder drinken Bier Ha Ha Ha Ha
    Thank you but......
    This young lady and I
    Will just finish this bottle of wine
    It was kind of you...but
    I think we'll just say goodnight.
    Leave us alone
    Goodnight
    Leave us alone
    Could I have the key to one for three please?
    There you are
    Thank you, goodnight

Hello yes I'd like to order breakfast please
    I'd like coffee for two, and toast with marmalade
    No...marmalade.

Could Gilmour or his wife write memorable lyrics like this? This album's concept and most of the songs were presented to the band as a potential follow up to The Wall.
    Last edited by TIU; 23rd May 2015 at 22:26.

And then the Germans kill the Jews and the Jews kill the Arabs as the Arabs kill the hostages and that is the news!

Anyone else apart from qube received this yet? I came back from holiday expecting to see a sorry you were out card.

Yip but you can guess the rest lol.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Who did you order it from?

Amacon. Will catch up with this later on ive got to go out Gary.
    Last edited by KB1; 26th July 2015 at 16:22.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

I bought mine from rogerwaters.com

+ Reply to Thread