+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The post any subject for when there isn't a thread thread

This holding for five to seven working days by Paypal shouldn't be allowed. They said the payment I made on the 25th hasn't cleared yet, why? Everything is automatic and instant now with banking. The money left my account so I don't have it; my paypal balance is zero so I can't use that money to pay for something else. Just because I decided to pay for something on an auction site and then change my mind, they are keeping my money for a week. Think I'll phone my bank and ask them if the payment has cleared and on what date.

i canot get a post to work in the other thread so , I am in hear ,

so I have today been playing around with various cd players etc, at a pals house , he has a biiig room , so I have a at least 10 year old Marantz 6000 original ki re issue !!! cd spinner, we fired it up with my tannoy dnt 12 speakers at his place, nice and loud it sounded great , lots of everything, but not as good as his sony es thing with the variable filters, but still very passable , not bad for a 15 year old sort of thing, . so then we plug in a original Beresford 7510 dac, it sounded different and perhaps wider , but still not as good as the big sony, mind you we both couldn't decide which filter we liked,

so then I plug in my old , alesis masterdisk hard disk recorder, and I recon it cost new 600 , I brought it used for a about from memory 200 I really payed a good bit over the odds, but it was very low in usage and had a uprated hard drive, etc, I knew the chap who was selling, it , so I would have thought the thing would easily beat the old Marantz , but no it was easily a leaner machine in bass extension ,

so then I plug in a very old , almost 20 year old fostex d108 I have used in the past, but its a old thing, well bugger me in some ways this thing sounds very good in deed , more puchy in the bass and the top end is rich in a lot of recordings, using the thing as a dac , only,

rather like a reel to reel two track running at the faster speed,

the sony w started against is also a rather older thing , but it does have more air in good recordings, to show and the end of reverb tails if doe well just disappear in to nothing, .

the Marantz in some recordings seems a cold thing at the reverb ens of tails,

I know modern cds players will probably sound better again , but in the several almost vintage units we had , there was some good sounds and clear differences, .

I was getting rid of the Marantz but I am know keeping it , I feel it easily sounds better than cds played via the alesis masterlink recorder, and mastering unit,

but bruce my pal digs out a very very cheap sony dvd player , and hooks it up the the Beresford dac , and it sounded very good in deed, I mean he got the dvd player for 12 from the charity shop a cheap sort of slim line thing to play his dvd

recordings, . the little sony runs silent , although the Marantz doesent make much nosie at all , the sony dvd seems to make no noise at all !!!!!

he will be keeping the big sony es thing with the variable filters, . but he is for know also happy to use my bereford and the cheap sony nv dvd player, I am not sure even new if the sony was much more than 70 , .

in fact the digital lead he had it hooked up with cost about 50 , !!!! about 40 more than I have spent on digital leads,!!!

so next month I will bring some other tweeks to his place to see if we can improve on things, funny he might end up buying back the big tannoys he sold me , he has some I think dynamo audio stand mounts he brought for the house , but he seems to hate them more every time he gets to listen to other systems, , but his partner loves them and she hatted the looks and sound of the big tannoy dmt 12 cabs , !!!! still that's the compromise I guess, but he has recently retired so it might be gloves of , round one soon ,

regards

jb

Digital when done well can sound good. In my thread about the valve upgrade, i have posted about changing the power supply of my wee DAC. It is certainly cleaner sounding now and easier to pick out individual instruments. Free upgrade. Just plugged the a USB lead into the USB out on the telly instead of using the supplied ...er......supply.

I've heard about 15.00 supermarket bought DVD players doing a good job with spinning music CDs. Our cheapo slim Philips died the other day - it refused to open its drawer so I threw it out.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I've heard about 15.00 supermarket bought DVD players doing a good job with spinning music CDs. Our cheapo slim Philips died the other day - it refused to open its drawer so I threw it out.
    These items are generally throw away. Not worth repairing. When you can buy a DVD player so cheaply which in some cases can sound pretty close to some "audiophile" players, what's the point?

The fact they do that makes me wonder about the high cost of audiophile players. Anyway, I don't want to knock CDPs and the format in general. I still enjoy my Pioneer and often the car stereo.

There's a Panasonic blue ray player out just now that a lot of people are raving about. Apparently lots of people are selling their expensive CD players for this which can be got from Richer sounds for 79. Its got 4 Wolfson dac chips inside. Digital is bonkers.

I didn't know blue ray played red book cd but I'm usually behind with the world of AV, it doesn't interest me.

Finally wrenched my money from paypal and put it back into my bank account. So payment made on 25 Feb, refunded by seller same day and I finally get it back off paypal today, 4 March. Will make me think twice about changing my mind again and I still don't have a copy of TDB.

Oh dear, will have to return my MFSL Atom Heart Mother and have filed a claim on ebay. The seller mentioned a faint click on side 1 about seven minutes in, which lasts for about a minute. That is there and I had to look very carefully to see the offending small scratch. What he failed to mention was the huge scratch on side 2, towards the end of 'Summer '68'. It's so bad it causes the stylus to stick. There are also several large marks on side 2 but I haven't played it through. The record is going back.

Quite right too. The not as advertised function can be handy at times.

Digital has distinct advantages sometimes eh, still love my vinyl but my digital setup gets much more use these days. A decent DAC is a good way to go, add a cheap DVD player or a netbook and great sound quality is possible for very little outlay.

Anyone any experience of central heating systems? We have a problem in that just the upstairs radiators are working. The radiators downstairs are staying cold. What sort of fault does that suggest? There's no air in the downstairs radiators, I tried bleeding them.

Do they have radiator mounted thermostats downstairs?

Have you two circuits? (We have separate up and downstairs heating circuits for example) are all return valves open? (Smaller valves on side of radiator)

Seems weird right enough CH systems are usually a circuit, so for upstairs to keep heating then water has to go through whole system and back up to boiler.

Is your pump working ok? (This might be problem if boiler and pump upstairs.

It's an old system with a back boiler downstairs and the tank above it upstairs on the landing (in airing cupboard). There's a wall-mounted thermostat in the hallway and the control for hot water/ heating is in the living room with its switch in the airing cupboard. All our neighbours in this small row of terraced houses had a new system installed with a modern combi boiler a few years ago. We were left out. It seems to have rectified itself now, the downstairs radiators have warmed up. But I still think there must be a fault somewhere. Thankfully I didn't do any of the wiring, otherwise none of it would work correctly.
    Last edited by TIU; 12th March 2014 at 12:49.

You may have two pumps and one of them is not working. There used to be a two pump system in my mum and dads house until they got a combi boiler. Best thing they ever did.

Could be down to a couple of things worth investigating at no outlay in the wallet. Have the downstairs rads ( as Paul asks) got TRVs ?. If so there may be shite around the valve pin that moves in n out when ye turn the knob. Quite often if the are gunked up they stick in , therefore even though you have the TRV on , lets say No 5, the pin is in the 0 (off) position. I would look at this first. Or the sodding things may need balancing, thats a lovely chase yer arse job.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Tjz134OwiptH0Q
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

I've asked our landlord to send someone out next week. I did cancel the booking but changed my mind. They put it down for next week even though we had no heating downstairs. 'It's just what the system has done', he said, and wouldn't budge. I have no faith in their repairmen. If a problem is not obvious they don't have a clue. They bodge things quickly whenever possible. One example: we had a rotten outside window sill which let the rain inside and soaked the carpet. It was replaced with a roughly cut piece of softwood and then one coat of primer was applied. No overcoat, nothing. Guess how long that lasted?

Does anyone know what 180 microns is in terms of grams? I usually buy heavy 600g pvc gatefold sleeves and can't relate that to microns.

A micron is a measure of distance though. How can you equate it to a weight/mass?

I think you can equate it to grams per square meter but thats for paper/card.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

The company I usually buy pvc sleeves from lists the heaviest ones as 600g. I don't know if 180 microns, as other sellers use, is an equivalent weight. Anyway, I've ordered some now off feepay so I'll see what arrives. I have issues with some I have now, they've gone dimply but not all yet all are near a heat source.

+ Reply to Thread