+ Reply to Thread

Thread: battery chargers !!! i busted another any advice recommeds,

Default battery chargers !!! i busted another any advice recommeds,

so I seem to use a lot of gadgets with batteries , but I cannot get the battery charging right, it seems a lot more complicated than I thought, have looked a little in to things, seems accuphase q1 thingie is a good start, , but I need some idea of what and why to buy, I cannot seem me spending too much , but my charger gets warn and the batteries I suspect are cooked, again , !!! I need 4 aa and some discharge , cycle information apparently!!!

just something I can use with confidance, I have a small pile of ni hi drate batteries and a load of mixed others

I would just like to go to the shops and pick a thing up with 4 batteries and be done with it ,

reccomendations ,

jb

Blog Entries

You need a smart charger that conditions the batteries and ensures they aren't overcharged. I don't have time right now but I'm off to the workshop later and I'll have a look at mine and send you the info.
    Si.

thank you I will be glad to get some advice, it seems a good bit more complicated, I have found a couple of bits about it on tinternet, but also found some chargers for about 25 that seem to read the batteries etc, and do a good job ,

it driving me bonkers, and the batteries aint cheap ,

regards

jb

Ritchie, if you want to save on batteries in the long run, then spending good money on a good battery charger/conditioner makes good sense. I bought one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maha-MH-C900...attery+charger fabulous thing, and my batteries are never fried, can recondition batteries that aren't working well and get some more use from them.

I also junked my NIMH batteries for some Sanyo Eneloops, don't discharge if not used, keep power right up until they discharge, some batteries get flakey when below 30% charge! and offer many recharge cycles that are possible if used with a good charger. Eneloops also might not show same power as some batteries, but often those claims are bordering in pie in the sky optimism, and are only available when batteries are new and then only on initial use,and power drops considerably as charge does, and also as they get older, Eneloops are far more consistent, and rarely much more expensive than normal NIMH, especially if AA sized.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanyo-1900mA...=sanyo+eneloop

Invest in the best and you'll save in the long run, for hobbyist use I expect to get many many years from my Maha charger. My current set of Eneloops are used in large camera flash, and I get many more flashes than I did with higher rated NIMH batteries.

Blog Entries

Apologies Ritchie, I've been busy. I use an Ansmann charger and it does the job fine. This is a newer version and comes with batteries.
    http://www.buyabattery.co.uk/ansmann...FaEewwodqVQAUA
    Si.

thanks for that I am looking in to these things, there is a ansmann digital thing , as well for about 30 pounds, with the 4 batteries so I will look at this as well , it seems to have a couple of extra funtions , not sure, but also looking at pauls recommends ,

jb , .

so I am going to order up a set of the sanyou things, 4 for a tenner , I wonder what sort of charger I need , or will the amsmann type thing do the job , ???

jb .

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
    so I am going to order up a set of the sanyou things, 4 for a tenner , I wonder what sort of charger I need , or will the amsmann type thing do the job , ???

jb .
    The Anssman will probably do the job, but it's a charger only, the Maha one I suggested is a conditioner also, meaning it can breath life into some batteries that are not so hot, it will also tell you how much power your batteries are taking and not only that will tell you when they are beyond useable. The Anssman seems to offer slightly different charging rates, if you go that route I'd suggest using it on the slowest setting, that way it's less likely to cook your batteries, with the Maha you can choose how much to charge it in 100mah steps, from 100 to 2000. It also switches off each battery when it's done. Cracking bit of kit that's more than just a charger, and will last for many years. It will pay for itself in batteries saved IMHO.

Ps the Eneloops will come charged, but I suggest you wait to recharge them until you get a new charger, old cheap rapid chargers of the type that come with energizer batteries etc can destroy new batteries within 20-50 charges, I speak from experience, before shelling out for yet more high power NIMH batteries I did some research and arrived at the Maha and Eneloops, so far they have performed flawlessly. Seems you still do, sometimes, get what you pay for.

+ Reply to Thread