+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre-cirkus bearing magic

Default Pre-cirkus bearing magic

Are you going to tell all John, or leave it to a delighted Sole V user? Steve.

I couldn't possibly say too much Steve.. I'd prefer to leave it to a satisfied customer.

However, for those who may be inquisitive I'll go this far, we were able to save Steve's pre Cirkus Peek bearing and his motor, which had allegedly been damaged by another party and I think it is fair to say that Steve is very happy with the result of our initiative in creating the sucessful repairs without rercourse to high cost or perceived reduction in performance. Should create a stir on the Linn forum !

Regard's

John R

Aa s delighted Sole V / AI armboard / Blue Lube / Plattermat 2 user, I thought it was about time I treated my 32 year old fluted afromosia LP12 to a new lid and the 'cirkus' bearing upgrade. When I contacted John for a new bearing collar for my Sole V he told me about a new process he was working on to refurbish pre-cirkus bearings. Something about bonding on PEEK thrust plate whatever that is. (I'm not a technical expert). The upshot was that I now have a refurbished pre-cirkus bearing and matching re-polished spindle running for a fraction of the cost of a new bearing/inner platter. The difference? The deck is singing again and I'm spending my hard earned on vinyl instead of metal.

SteveM

Peek is a brand name for an engineering polymer (plastic) it's pretty stiff, Blumenhofer loudspeakers use a Peek material in the mid bass cone of one of their drivers, there are plenty of other applications, the company who invented it are British.

Quote Originally Posted by fan1243 View Post
    Aa s delighted Sole V / AI armboard / Blue Lube / Plattermat 2 user, I thought it was about time I treated my 32 year old fluted afromosia LP12 to a new lid and the 'cirkus' bearing upgrade. When I contacted John for a new bearing collar for my Sole V he told me about a new process he was working on to refurbish pre-cirkus bearings. Something about bonding on PEEK thrust plate whatever that is. (I'm not a technical expert). The upshot was that I now have a refurbished pre-cirkus bearing and matching re-polished spindle running for a fraction of the cost of a new bearing/inner platter. The difference? The deck is singing again and I'm spending my hard earned on vinyl instead of metal.

SteveM
    Really nice to hear we've saved you much dosh Steve and of course, that your LP12 is performing really well and singing like a good un thanks to us small enthusiastic cottage industries!

Regards

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    Peek is a brand name for an engineering polymer (plastic) it's pretty stiff, Blumenhofer loudspeakers use a Peek material in the mid bass cone of one of their drivers, there are plenty of other applications, the company who invented it are British.
    Indeed it is Paul..

We've been looking at ways of extending the life of the pre Cirkus LP12 bearings for a while and now we believe we may have it sorted !

Ketron Peek bearing grade is an exceptional low creep, low C o F material that is often used in industrial applications.

Kind regards.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 1st March 2014 at 10:18.

Well this shameful repair seems to have caused a ripple on't Linn Forums where they view lil ole me as heretic.. Poor disbelievers.

Regards

John R,

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Well this shameful repair seems to have caused a ripple on't Linn Forums where they view lil ole me as heretic.. Poor disbelievers.

Regards

John R,
    Very sad. They need to get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Very sad. They need to get a life.
    Indeed eddie !

They ought to try something different once in a while to expand their minds.

Regards.

John R.

It's like Sauron looking down from his tower at the Hobbits.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    It's like Sauron looking down from his tower at the Hobbits.
    Indeed it is m8 but they're playing the ignore me game now, but they're sadly mistaken to ignore me.

Ah yes. I must be irking the purists as one of our customers so eloquently puts it.

Regards

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Indeed it is m8 but they're playing the ignore me game now, but they're sadly mistaken to ignore me.

Ah yes. I must be irking the purists as one of our customers so eloquently puts it.

Regards

John R.
    They make it sound like a religion. It's a wooden box of bits, that's all. Any improvement to it is worth it imo

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    They make it sound like a religion. It's a wooden box of bits, that's all. Any improvement to it is worth it imo
    It certainly had the makings of a cult eddie.

There was a small number who had regular love in's, although a few have thrown their toys out of the pram now and left after one odious individual got himself banned for good ,due to him insulting other members over a period of years; he obviously felt he was untouchable because he licked Linn's arse but they shot him down in the end and rightly so.

I think it'll all come crashing down due to that one individual member who thought he was God and who was left unchecked for far too long. Though Linn may actually end up with a far better behaved and more adult group of members who may actually be willing to discuss all makes and mods. It remains to be seen..

Regards.

John R.
    Last edited by John R; 4th March 2014 at 23:13.

Blog Entries

just a slight correction, Prof. PEEK is an acronym for poly ether ether ketone, not a trade name, but the chemical name (although not specific). It is an engineering plastic which can be machined well. It is the same as acetal and delrin. It has no magic acoustic properties.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post
    just a slight correction, Prof. PEEK is an acronym for poly ether ether ketone, not a trade name, but the chemical name (although not specific). It is an engineering plastic which can be machined well. It is the same as acetal and delrin. It has no magic acoustic properties.
    I stand corrected, thanks.

We've also sprinkled a little of our magic on a MRM Source turntable bearing. More detail will follow in due course, but we're chuffed that we managed to meet this challenge, or in our way of thinking rising to an opportunity to succeed..

Kind regards.

John R

I do not & never have owned a Linn, I own an original Transcriptor Hydraulic Reference turntable, made just prior to the acquisition of the design and Borehamwood premises by John Michell it has a J A Michell label affixed. Since then it has been modified using J A Michell made parts some made by me & it uses an aftermarket motor. I also made the drive belt. It reproduces music from LP or Single better than it did when new, still looks ostensibly the same. Does it matter that it is not absolutely original, I am sure had he not moved to Ireland David Gammon would have evolved the Hydraulic Reference.

Linn have upgraded the LP12 to the point where only the wood carcass would be recognised as the same as the earliest model.

The National Trust when renovating/rebuilding important old properties now refurbishes even hidden parts as found; then building over them in a later style, because as they say it is part of the history, the same goes for important classic cars they no longer attempt as it left the factory rebuilds other than of old nothing notables.

One of the things I am painfully aware of reading any forum from shooting, hi fi to cars is that closed minds dismiss out of hand anything that they can't get their heads around, ok I have trouble with some like Peterbilt ones, so I keep quiet because I don't know have not heard "quote" a closed mouth gathers no foot. At the start of the CJD disaster, most "experts" particularly the armchair variety & the Minister said it was cobblers , don't remember any apologies when they were proved distressingly wrong.

Even the Monarch is evolving god bless her...

I have seen photos of the work John R does, it is superb & from grateful recipient's testimonials the sound is excellent. I would not care who did the mods if it made the sound more believable & didn't turn it into a CD player.

Thumbs up Many thanks Big John

Very kind of you to post positive comments regarding the work I do

Kind regards.

John R

Blog Entries

Interesting thread. John, I have a Mission 775 Heavy and the plastic bearing sleeves are worn. Would you be able to make me a new pair?
    Si.

Thanks Si.

That's a seldom seen beastie!

I am certainly up for the challenge of refurbishing this, but you'll have to send the housing and spindle down to me for an appraisal and quotation.. However, knowing your excellent engineering skills I would have thought you are more than capable of renewing the liners of this yourself ?

Kind regards.

John R.

+ Reply to Thread