+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pre-cirkus bearing magic

Blog Entries

I tried making some a few years ago for my other deck John but I couldn't make them as accurate as I wanted and ended up with oilite bushed instead. More practice needed but I'm laid up at the moment with my knee and I've had to take my car off the road. The mot has expired and I'm not fit enough to do the work it needs so I can't get to my workshop anyway. Priorities suggest it might be easier to get someone else to make them who knows how to machine plastic whilst I get on with other things.
    Si.

Sorry to hear about all your issues Si - I feel for you mate.

There's nothing worse than having a prolific mind when ones body prevents you from getting on with it all. I among others tend to take that for granted..

Anyhow, here's hoping your lay up doesn't take too long.

If you want and when you can, just pop your bearing assy down to me and I'll take a look at getting it back to health.

Kind regards

John R.

Well our Linn LP12 bearing repair for pre-cirkus bearings has proven to be utterly superb. Yes folks it trounces the Cirkus bearing by offering a far quieter background and a much larger soundstage. The quieter background allows even more detail through leading to me having to use the old cliche' .... I'm hearing additional musical detail I've not heard before.

I've been using this bearing for a number of months now (alongside one of our previous Sole customers who's helped provide feedback from his POV and he's posted about his amazement of the repair on the Linn forum. It's certainly an effective repair and also an valid upgrade for pre Cirkus LP12 beraring users.

Repair depends very much on the condition of the housing and spindle but we can provide the assessment and repair for circa 70 - 85 dependent on time taken .

Regards

John R.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Well our Linn LP12 bearing repair for pre-cirkus bearings has proven to be utterly superb. Yes folks it trounces the Cirkus bearing by offering a far quieter background and a much larger soundstage. The quieter background allows even more detail through leading to me having to use the old cliche' .... I'm hearing additional musical detail I've not heard before.

I've been using this bearing for a number of months now (alongside one of our previous Sole customers who's helped provide feedback from his POV and he's posted about his amazement of the repair on the Linn forum. It's certainly an effective repair and also an valid upgrade for pre Cirkus LP12 beraring users.

Repair depends very much on the condition of the housing and spindle but we can provide the assessment and repair for circa 70 - 85 dependent on time taken .

Regards

John R.
    John would you say whether you think the PEEK thrust pad is as resilient as the original steel i.e. how many years before it also conks out (I realize this depends on amount of usage), and also - since the PEEK has some thickness, do you trim the length of the spindle to not have the platter ride too high?

If it is a trade secret please say that you are not willing to disclose...

Hi ahabek.

Ketron Peek is extremely resilient and self lubricating, as such it is used as wear/thrust pads in industrial applications. I have been running an pre Cirkus housing thus modified for a number of years averaging 2 .5hrs per evening and the ride height has not altered suggesting minimal if any wear over this period.

Ride height will be affected if one is repairing any version of Linn bearing but the beauty of this option is users of pre Cirkus bearings who wish to purchase Sole VII or else use a standard Linn steel Cirkus chassis and do not wish to go to the expense of a new Cirkus housing and new platter can do so with hardly noticeable ride height issues.

I cannot go into any further detail for commercial reasons.

Regards.

John.

This is quite interesting John, I do have a couple of the pre-Cirkus bearings that I am interested in sending them in for a good old check up and the new upgrade. I also have a few Cirkus bearings as my intentions were to have 4 different variations of the LP12 with different plinths, motors and top plates etc.

Could the Cirkus bearing be improved too?

Regards
    Jag

Yes indeed, but it will give an issue of raising ride height with the platter and arm board. I get over this by repairing the pre Cirkus bearing for use with the Sole Chassis, or repairing a pre Cirkus housing to be used with a Cirkus chassis plate.

Okay this seems a good way forward if the improvements in sound quality are to be made, I might then buy a Sole Cirkus chassis too.

Will PM you tomorrow and at least get 2 pre Cirkus bearings upgraded.

Jag.

Just to be clear on this, we make no claim that our the bearing repair option improves sound quality above that of a new Linn bearing. What we do claim is that we are able to repair a worn pre Cirkus bearing so that sound quality is restored.

Some music enthusiasts prefer the pre Cirkus bearing over the later Cirkus version.

Kind regards

John R.

In a nutshell, what are the different types of bearing and what is important about them in a tonearm? I'm genuinely curious and ignorant about them.

You need to ask J7 about tonearm bearings m8. I just fix worn LP12 main bearings and also MRM Source, Voyd, Systemdek etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Jag.

Just to be clear on this, we make no claim that our the bearing repair option improves sound quality above that of a new Linn bearing. What we do claim is that we are able to repair a worn pre Cirkus bearing so that sound quality is restored.

Some music enthusiasts prefer the pre Cirkus bearing over the later Cirkus version.

Kind regards

John R.

John

Thanks for clarifying that, still interested so best if I send the 2 pre Cirkus bearings and see what you think of their condition. The Cirkus bearings are okay and were not used very much so might hold them back for now whilst you inspect the others.

Will talk to you about the Sole sub chassis and the armboards, just been refurbishing a few Linn plinths as well as a Henk plinth so getting there now and deciding on the types of motors to use as I have some Airpax Linn motors but thought DC motors might be an alternative too.

Best regards

Jag

+ Reply to Thread