+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello

Default Hello

I am Gorehamster..

I like listening to music and playing music n various forms..I've been fiddling with turntables around 25 years now,,but still very much a complete amateur compared to many,,so many experienced and knowledgeable folk out there..My soldering is awful,,but has advanced from deplorable..I have played vinyl for longer than 25 years,,there was no CD when I was a young Hamster..I bought an Aiwa CD player in 1990 from Richer Sounds and a Garrard AP76 from a charity shop for a fiver a few months later as I still had vinyl...After putting an AT95e on it,, in retrospect I should have used a spherical,,but it blew away my new CD player..I ended up with a Thorens TD150 not long after..Then have went through a series of turntables since then,,some I regret parting with,,a few like an idiot at the time I butchered,,only a couple and nothing drastic..lol

Welcome Gorehamster. I think we all started off with more modest systems than we have today. I had an Arcam Alpha CD player and a Systemdek turntable 25 years ago. Good players in their day.

I have butchered a number of pieces of HiFi equipment also

I had a Systemdek IIX it sounded great,,although it came to me second hand with a very nasty lid,,the bearing tip didn't look healthy either,,it is a captured bearing,,the tip may actually be built into the bearing,,the sound was still good surprisingly though,,I still have it sans arm in the cupboard,,it didn't want to play on 45 and threw the belt on 33 ever so often too..I still use an Arcam Alpha 7se CD player still,,sounds quite good for CD's..I also use AT95e cartridges,,as well as a Denon DL110 and Shure V15 III with a Jico SAS...The AT95e still gets a lot of action,,it's less fussy and well balanced in my system...

Welcome GH, that's a solid CV you have. What music are you into?

I am into a lot of different Music,,genuinely eclectic..It is more what don't I like..I'm not a fan of modern Hip Hop,,irritating and repetitive to me or manufactured pop,,although a lot of 1960s manufactured Pop was classic I reckon Bacharach and David etc..I mean I dislike Stock Aitken and Waterman type stuff,,eurghhh..I dislike Oasis...not too keen on a lot of 80s Pop,,I rebelled against that..Not really into House/Rave and all that type of thing,,nothing against it though..Just not my scene..I am sure there is stuff amongst it I would love though..

I Like Classical,,some Jazz,,Blues,,Some Country,,Some Metal,,Punk,,but hate modern so called Pop Punk,,I like most Prog,,Classic Rock..A lot of Funk,,even some Disco,,60s and early 70s Soul..Some Ska and Reggae..Some Folk,,Some Indie/Alternative..Also a what I call cheese...I like a bit of cheese..In many ways because of the age I am,,the tail end of the first wave of British Punk was what opened the world of music to me..

I have over 2000 albums on vinyl..not all mint,,lol,,most in pretty good nick though.. Also around 1000 cds I think.. CD has it's uses,,some stuff on vinyl is very rare,,plus the long album sides of 70s prog rock meant lower volume levels,, so higher surface noise a lot of the time,,then the represses were usually even worse..I'm not rich or not boasting by the way,,just in love with music..The takeover of CDs in the 90s enabled me to get a lot of vinyl really cheap,,I got to listen to so much undiscovered music and sell on anything collectible I didn't like to record shops,,but usually trade in for even more vinyl..I usually got a deal,,30 quid cash or 45 quid trade etc..... CD again had it's uses..

Welcome on board GH
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

welcome m8ty!!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

We'll have to have a bad soldering competition. You won't believe what I attempted to solder on my Lenco.

You must have a few prized albums in your collection. What do you play them on these days? Welcome to the quiet, civilised music and hifi forum.

An early 80s Sondek and a rewired and re stubbed RB250,,with an AT95e...Nirvana,but not Valhalla..It sounds great though,,I have the bottom removed and the felt mat double sided sticky taped onto the outer platter..Both made a big difference...

A Re plinthed Thorens TD160 b mk 2 with an SME series IIIs with Shure V15 III and a Jico sas

A Kenwood 7010 direct drive with a Denon DL110

I have a Michell Mycro with RB250 not in action at the minute..No room and not enough inputs free on amp..lol

I have recently acquired a Logic DM 101 and Syrinx PU3...I am saving just now and would like to send the Syrinx to Audio Origami soon,,to get the bearings done and a rewire....It has a few problems,,The Logic is the later one with the built in electronic power supply,,so it plays 45s easily,,the Sondek is 33 only.. So once done up,,it would possibly take the place of the Kenwood..If there was a simpler way of posting pictures of them I would...

Oh I have a Dual CS 505 2 deluxe out on loan to a friend..A Hadcock GH220 SS not on a turntable at the minute,,I will never part with that because I used to send it back to old George to get rewired a lot..lol...He was a lovely old guy though..That and the SME seem to go on and of the Thorens..lol...

I also have a RB250 that the vertical bearings slant on one side,,it developed worse over time that one,it was an Ebay purchase,,it never took a whack from me..... It was the first RB250 I bought and I thought it was a height issue,,that was causing the slight slant,,it seemed to track ok at first..By the time I got my second one..I realised it wasn't a height issue at all and I'd possibly been sold a duffer...lol

Blog Entries

you could open a shop with all that lot !!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Quote Originally Posted by gorehamster View Post

If there was a simpler way of posting pictures of them I would...
    Without the kerfuffle of uploading photos to Flickr or Photobucket and then copying links from there, you can attach images stored on your computer/device to your post. Click on the 'Go Advanced' tab below the Quick Reply box, then click on 'Manage Attachments'. You can add files and upload them from there.

I wouldn't part with any of it though..lol..I love turntables,,these ones especially,. Photobucket,,groan..Maybe at some point....

I said you don't have to use photobucket and the like.

Sorry..I understand now,,was just doing other stuff beforehand,,brain a bit fried..I would have to re size the images and find the app to do that,,I'm not great on computers..I did have paint,,but can't find it on Windows 8..

Yes, you don't want to post pics too large. I use a Mac so not sure on a PC. Maybe then a host site which auto resizes would be best. We like photos, the more the better.

+ Reply to Thread