+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: How's the new knee pal?

Default How's the new knee pal?

I buzzed past a week ago last Monday but there was no Disco outside so wondered if you had gone down to your lads for a few days.

Anyway you have been quite recently, just hope the knee's getting better mate?
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

yeah, Si hope the knee is healing nicely.

Blog Entries

Hi lads,

I had to go to casualty last Tuesday to get it checked out as something gave way and it felt really odd. After a lot of buggering around they said it was ok and no X ray was needed. I had to go for physio on Friday and decided to make an appointment for the clinic as well. They both said I was doing fine but I'll admit that I don't feel fine right now. Never mind, I'll just have to put up with it until I see the surgeon a week this coming Friday.

I was up at my workshop last Monday Andy. Attempted break in but luckily they didn't do my unit. They did several others though and whilst I was on crutches I went up to see if I could give my mate some assistance to replace the smashed in fire door and repair the gate. It's a bastard when the scum drag you out of your sick bed and I think it was spending too much time on my feet that day that sent my knee wonky
    Si.

Argh Right mate that explains it. Never mind I will call and have a look at you soon Pal.

Andy
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

Cheers Andy. I don't mind a drive over to yours either. A change of scenery would be quite welcome.
    Si.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    Cheers Andy. I don't mind a drive over to yours either. A change of scenery would be quite welcome.

Ok mate, I have seen a sudden upturn in work, which has left me busy, however I am not sure if its just for a few weeks or if its a trend with the healing economy, but I will fit an afternoon in, just let me get Easter out of the way and I will give you a shout.

Andy

Blog Entries

A bit of an update chaps. When I said a few weeks ago that my knee didn't feel right, well it's worse now. I've been to see another Physio in Accrington and she says I've suffered some tendon or ligament damage possibly due to overdoing the exercises. The upshot now is that I can barely bend my knee without suffering severe pain at the back of my knee and it was so bad the day before yesterday that I've been off my feet since. I haven't been able to drive for the last week because I can't comfortably get in my car so that's me bolloxed. I'm back on the morphine too so I'm asleep all the bloody time but I suppose it doesn't hurt then aye? I must admit I'm getting a bit concerned. I've had my knee moving nicely and everything was just about there but it must have regular exercise until it's fully healed or it'll stiffen back up and I don't fancy the consequences. I can only bend my knee maybe 20 degrees before the pain is that bad I have to give up. Anyway I'm back at Wrightington where I had the op done for more physio tomorrow so we'll see what they have to say. On a better note the Physio at Accrington said the surgeon had done a first class job on my knee and that apart from the ligament issues (which is not down to the surgery I might add) I was well in front of where I should be for seven weeks after the op. Shame I'm still bedridden though
    Si.

Sorry to hear of your woes Si, I did think you seemed to be up and around a bit soon, you need to take it easy, ie six months of light duties, take it easy mate, a knee replacement is a major trauma to the body, you need lots of time to recuperate, it's probably hard for a grafter like yourself, but you really need to stop and let nature take it's course. It' spoor Jean we should feel sorry for, you getting around her feet all day take it easy and get well soon

Blog Entries

Aye cheers Paul. Jean goes to work Monday to Thursday so she does get a good break She came home today and got straight on the settee and she's been there ever since. I hope she can get her lazy carcass into the kitchen sometime soon lol. I did the housework this morning and Sarah came in like she always does and made my dinner and took the dog out for a walk. As for doing too much, the registrar said my muscles were soft and flabby and I needed more physio so I did more and it's just made things worse. The thing is when I saw the Physio at the Accrington clinic last Tuesday she said my muscle condition was fine with good strength and I'd done everything required of me which is at odds with his diagnosis. Anyway she's going to take over my treatment after my final session at the hospital tomorrow but I'll be pushing for a better diagnosis of what's going on. I'm convinced that I have a trapped nerve or something and it's not uncommon for soft tissue to get trapped in the new joint. We'll see what happens tomorrow
    Last edited by Chops54; 1st May 2014 at 18:59. Reason: Speling
    Si.

My muscles are soft and flabby as well Si....... sorry, i meant my stomach

Hope the knee gets better soon. Take it easy m8.

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    As for doing too much, the registrar said my muscles were soft and flabby and I needed more physio so I did more and it's just made things worse.
    Sorry to read this Si, hope things improve for you soon. Keep your spirits up mate.

Oh shit Si that's not good mate, was expecting you to be almost better by now and ready to get the other one done. Ah well I suppose these things are always 3 steps forward and two back again. Good luck for tomorrow, and speak soon

Andy

Blog Entries

My hospital visit was pretty inconclusive tbh. The physio wasn't too sure what was damaged but suggested more physio but don't work through the pain barrier. He gave me his number if things don't improve as I'll be under the clinic at Accrington from now on. However I did manage to bend my knee on my own this morning after a bit of trial and error and some swearing lol. I found that if I stand up straight with both feet together at the side of the bed and gently lower myself into a sitting position I can get the knee to bend to roughly 90 degrees without much pain. This is important as I can maintain flexibility of the knee joint and lack of flexibility was what was causing me concern. I have no idea why this works but it does and hopefully with a bit of rest the tendons or ligaments will heal themselves. I also managed to get in and out of the passenger side of the car which I haven't been able to do for a while so I'm going in the right direction.
    I have to make an admission here. I sold my big IMFs last week and though I was very careful I think getting them out of the back bedroom and down the stairs had a deleterious effect on my knee It's a fact of life I'm afraid that I still feel the need to do something and feel like I'm putting bread on the table but I'm going to have to grin and bear it and rest up a bit for a while.
    Thanks for kind comments guys, I never thought this was going to be so difficult
    Si.

Moving those f'in speakers is probably what did for ya, you great lummox

I'm guessing that keeping both legs together is acting a bit like a splint and stopping your knee from rotating slightly, that's perhaps why you can bend it that way, and your other leg will be taking more of the strain, probably.

Blog Entries

The ligament was tweaked two weeks before I moved the speakers. I thought I'd done it turning over in my sleep and twisting my knee but the physio reckoned it was over exercising. I've no doubt that moving the speakers didn't help my recovery but they moved real easy sliding on the carpet without much effort at all. I didn't do any lifting, my daughter and a neighbour did that. I'm just thinking that I could have seriously hurt myself considering how easy it was to pull a ligament in the first place. I was going to go to my workshop this weekend and replace the driver's side sill on my old Disco but I'm going to put it on hold for a couple of weeks. I realise I can't afford any more set backs.
    Si.

I'm surprised you've sold the IMFs Si, you loved those speakers. Are you now using the floorstanders from upstairs (TDLs?).

Blog Entries

I had two pairs of IMFs as well as the TDLs Gary. The TDLs were part of my main system for years but I always wanted IMFs so I bought the Professional Monitor IIIs and put the TDLs into my upstairs system. Some time after that I was offered a pair of TLS80s which my beloved deemed more domestically acceptable so I put the IIIs to one side for a project but needs must so I decided to sell them. I must say it certainly freed up a fair bit of space in my man cave
    Si.

Ah, that's not so bad, I thought your main beloved speakers had gone. I know the situation of feeling like you have to part with things when you're not earning, not nice.

Blog Entries

Yes it hurts to sell off your gear sometimes especially when it's not out of choice but if I'm going to be laid up a while I'm going to have give it some thought. I'm a bit of a hoarder I suppose and I've got shed loads of stuff that I don't use that much. I still have the first proper integrated amp and tuner I bought nearly thirty five years ago
    Si.

If you need these Avondales and pre just let me know, I'll bring them up.

+ Reply to Thread