+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Phono stage recommendations

Cracking write up Brenton.

Thanks Paul. At the expense of revealing my inner "girlie man" side. But I'd be short changing AudioNote not to tell the truth of my experience. It was a real surprise.

Now, if only I had an unlimited budget, I'll tell you, Michelle is completely sold on this hobby now. She'd be in there helping me spend spend spend. "Sell him the one that provokes more emotion! Make him cry -- that's what I want!" Yes, I can see her becoming something of an audiophile sadist. And masochist.

Sounds like you're really enjoying it Brenton. Shame i don't have a workshop any more or i would consider building it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tube Nube View Post
    Thanks Paul. At the expense of revealing my inner "girlie man" side. But I'd be short changing AudioNote not to tell the truth of my experience. It was a real surprise.

Now, if only I had an unlimited budget, I'll tell you, Michelle is completely sold on this hobby now. She'd be in there helping me spend spend spend. "Sell him the one that provokes more emotion! Make him cry -- that's what I want!" Yes, I can see her becoming something of an audiophile sadist. And masochist.
    What I liked of your write up was the total absence of jargon and hyperbole, you described how it made you and Michelle feel, that's what listening to good music should be about.

Thanks Paul. Yes, it's a funny thing about the mind set of published reviews. There's a need to talk about this quantified aspect or other (with technical tests), and quasi-quantified attributes on the experiential side -- all those adjectives we know so well . . . but the thing that I've been enjoying about hi fi has always been the subjective experience of it, how it makes me feel, gets my toes tapping, or singing along (so long as no ones there to hear it, including me, when the volume is way up).

I bet that's one really satisfying aspect of working in the industry at the level you're at -- people are hearing and feeling things that just can't be got at with every day mass market consumer products.

Say Eddie, would it help if I told you I built it atop a two-drawer roll-away type filing cabinet? It was great, cause I could rotate it in place on its casters for better access with the soldering iron. Of course, my Michelle and I are not yet co habitational, so my mess is my own. As I noted before, the kit sat on my kitchen table for 3 years or so just taunting me. Really silly, now that I look back. I should have just got on with it. I don't think this was even 8 hours in the building.

Tracks that always gets to me are This Woman's Work by Kate Bush and Landslide by Fleetwood Mac.

I think I've got that Fleetwood Mac record handy. Not sure if I have that Kate Bush album. She's always been a sentimental flavorite of mine, too.

When I saw her performance on Saturday Night Live, back in, what, 1978? I was in love.

Ms Krall is too jazzy / MOR for me but I can hear the attraction.

This Woman's Work from The Sensual World album, 1989.
    Last edited by TIU; 1st May 2016 at 19:55.

How can it be? I've had the Sensual World all these 25 years, and never listened to it through to get to This Woman's Work. That's a lovely tune, and I think this record deserves some careful listening.

Say Eddie, would it help if I told you I built it atop a two-drawer roll-away type filing cabinet? It was great, cause I could rotate it in place on its casters for better access with the soldering iron. Of course, my Michelle and I are not yet co habitational, so my mess is my own. As I noted before, the kit sat on my kitchen table for 3 years or so just taunting me. Really silly, now that I look back. I should have just got on with it. I don't think this was even 8 hours in the building.
    I live in a one bedroom flat so hardly enough room to swing a cat. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron and I miss the workshop a little but I don't have the space or the time these days. Pity as value for money is the main concern as well as satisfaction of doing a job yourself and these kits represent excellent VFM and can sound excellent as you have discovered.

How can it be? I've had the Sensual World all these 25 years, and never listened to it through to get to This Woman's Work. That's a lovely tune, and I think this record deserves some careful listening.
    I'm sure she did a 'director's cut' of that album and the red shoes. Will have to buy it.

I bet that's one really satisfying aspect of working in the industry at the level you're at -- people are hearing and feeling things that just can't be got at with every day mass market consumer products.
    It was satisfying, left in mar 2013, various reasons and now back to medical sales, Key Account Manager with a company selling Wound Management products covering whole of Scotland. Loving it, leaves me back to hifi and music as relaxing pastimes, not every day drudgery.

That's an interesting change up for you, Paul. Or maybe it isn't -- maybe it's the same thing, to be selling products to help cure what ails people!

It's good when doing something professionally doesn't spoil the intrinsic joy in it, so the best part is preserved -- the personal hobby and satisfactions that brings. I hope you won't lose track of things in the world of cartridges, cause when this Axia of mine finally grinds itself down to nothing, you know who I'll be calling for more advice. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    It was satisfying, left in mar 2013, various reasons and now back to medical sales, Key Account Manager with a company selling Wound Management products covering whole of Scotland. Loving it, leaves me back to hifi and music as relaxing pastimes, not every day drudgery.
    That's great to hear Paul.

Thanks guys.

Incidentally Brenton, not so strange, I was in Pharmaceuticals before hifi. Hifi was fun, didn't feel like work, but pharma is far more lucrative.

Maybe I should get into the pharma biz.. . Just I think I already pretty much made my bed. Can't blame you for looking after your own best you can, and also looking out for the future. It's a tad uncertain at best.

Say Eddie, I totally agree with you on value for money. When I was in a spendy mood, I still held myself back to look for value, and I think I found it in the kit side of the hobby. Maybe I kid myself, but I don't think so. Hope not. Just don't have any local audio phile friends for comparison.

But if you were to decide you wanted this particular phono, I'm confident I can build it, so I'd do it for you no charge. Well, no charge for the build. You'd have to buy the kit. ;-)

I'd be happy to do it.

+ Reply to Thread