+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: G4 Mac blog

Default G4 Mac blog

Following my G4 hdd woes (not starting up), I have received another hdd with OS 10.5.8 installed. I installed it in the same cage as the hdd from my old G3 and the new hdd didn't mount, so I realised it was a clash of jumpers. You can set the jumpers to master, slave or cable. This G4 can run up to four hard drives on the cable setting but I'll reconfigure it all later so the new one is the master.

I disconnected the G3 hdd, restarted and the new 123 GB hdd mounted, phew. It was great to have the mac started up again. The faulty 80 GB drive did not appear on the desktop so I thought the worst. After a few minutes and without attempting to access the faulty hdd, a message appeared informing me that MDD (the 80 GB hdd) is unrepairable by this Mac and only has limited availability. Best to salvage what I can then.

I phoned the sender of the hdd (the ebay seller who has always been incredibly helpful over the years) to ask her about the jumper setup and she quickly realised I had installed the new hdd in the wrong cage. There are two - one contains the main hdd I hadn't disturbed. I had installed the G3 hdd in the second cage so installed the new drive in the same cage and connected the ribbon and power cables. She advised I take out the faulty hdd from the main cage for now and install the new hdd in its place. There is a diagram on hard drives to show the jumper variations and that first space (the first connectors on the internal hdd installation cables) is what the Mac looks at first when starting up.

So I'll swap the drives around and see if I can copy some wanted files over to the new hdd. I tried to copy an application over (the MDD did appear on the Desktop) but it reported there wasn't sufficient space despite the new hdd having 91 GB free. This happens sometimes and it should be ok once I've got the new hdd in the correct place. I can't thank the seller enough, she is so knowledgeable and helpful and enjoys keeping these older Macs going.

Ah glad you've got it going, as I thought it was a faulty H/D, do you have access to a copy of disk warrior Gary, as that can help recover files from a faulty drive, it is also good to have it installed as it will warn you if something like this is happening in the future, often before the drive goes completely tits up.

No, but the ebay seller said she could send me a copy. At the moment, after re-installing the three drives in different locations, it started up from the new hdd without holding the alt key but the faulty hdd didn't come up and after a few minutes the mac froze. It looked as if it was trying the mount it. It may be the jumper configuration so will try a different setting. If not I'll uninstall it and send it to Michael Craig-Martin to draw (you'll have to google his work).

The 80 gig hdd is no more, it has left this mortal coil; it is bereft of life; it is now a door stop.

Oh well, I've lost all my bookmarks collected over the years and all my work contacts in the address book but worse things happen at sea I guess.

I am back on my Mac and have shut down the incredibly slow Dell PC. Windozzzze is pants. Have also realised I've lost all of my music files, mostly free downloads from LP purchases. Is it worth trying to recover them off a knackered hdd? May as well just start again, less hassle.

You might be able to recover them Gary if you could access the drive. If not then you could try a data retrieval company but they are usually extortionate. Probably not worth it m8.

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    You might be able to recover them Gary if you could access the drive. If not then you could try a data retrieval company but they are usually extortionate. Probably not worth it m8.
    yep, think of a very large number and double it, then double it again, only really viable for large companies with very expensive/important data, i enquired about this for a friend with a small business years ago, they wanted 500 up front just to test the drive to see if data could be retrieved.

I may get hold of a copy of disc warrior just to try it. It would be good to get those files back.

Disk warrior will only work if you can get the drive powered up. If drive is really goosed it may not work.

OK, the last couple of times I tried it with different jumper settings, the mac reported a disc cannot be recognised, so I presumed it was the faulty one. I'm not going to pursue it, it's had it, but it's strange how it went tits up so quickly.

It might be a bad sector on the disk, but it may be the disc controller chip, etc

Re Disk warrior, I ponied up and purchased it a while ago when our oldest iMac had a disk failure, but since then I've had it running in the background, it monitors the disks and will give a warning of a problem or impending failure, it also has a much better defrag system than OSX, although macs don't need defrag as often as a windows disk.

Do you use a mac now Paul? I'm not sure how to set up MobileMe (a cloud backup). it should run on this G4.

Yeah Gary, 2 iMacs, mac book pro, various iPads and iPhones, not sure exactly how you go about iCloud, as I have had a .me addy for about 6 years. Think you can go on iCloud site and register for one. Then add it into your mail program it works really well over multiple osx/iOS devices. I don't store many docents on iCloud but I keep my phone and iPad backups there, and pertinent to you all my contacts bookmarks etc.

Blog Entries

I'm reading this with great interest and I'm glad you're up and running again Gary. I have an old G5 which I really like and despite it being a big lump of a thing I don't want to part with it. It's only running 10.4 so what's the newest OS I could install? I ask because I can't sync my iPhone 4 or my iPad or get into the apple store. Maybe I'll never be able to get into the apple store with my processor? Maybe your ebay contact could help Gary or do I just by another later Mac?.
    Si.

I'll ask her Si, I get very confused over which mac can run what and Apple haven't helped over the years. Perhaps you need a copy of Alley Cat instead of Tiger or Leopard.

Blog Entries

Haha yes. I'm still thinking of buying a Hackintosh. My daughter used her old Asus to transfer the data from my 3G to my 4 with no probs. I'm pissed of to think that her old Windose machine can do what my Mac can't.
    Si.

You can use a FireWire cable to connect macs and transfer files across. Obviously not the really old Macs that don't support firewire. You can also change one mac to 'Target Disc Mode' in the system prefs, connect it with a firewire cable to another mac and use it as a hard drive, maybe for backup. There are several ways of transferring data. Copying files to a memory stick, CDR or DVD are a few. I found the easiest way was to install the hard drive from my previous G3 into the G4, so all the files are there and there's space left. I have now copied the documents onto the new hdd and may reformat the G3 hdd and use it as back up.

With your G5, even though it's a newer model than mine, it has an older OS installed. You may have to upgrade it to 10.5.8, which I think is the highest it will go. I haven't been in contact with my mate yet to check.

An update on this. I tried using Disc Warrior on the knackered hdd after installing it again (I'm getting a dab hand at doing that). It rebuilds the file directory first and it was incredibly slow so I cancelled the process. There was a message saying it was slow because of a disc malfunction and my mate suggested I run it overnight. Anyway, the disc warrior CDR is bootable and that's the way to run it but I tried restarting with the new hdd as normal to open disc warrior afterwards. It wouldn't open from the CD (something to do with permissions) and all of a sudden the faulty hdd appeared on the desktop, along with a message to say it was unreadable but had limited access. I was able to copy all the files I needed off it and then shut down the mac. I took the hdd out, went to start up the mac and it wouldn't power up. So then I thought the psu had gone. What next? My mate told me what the problem was - I had to use the reset button inside the mac but only with the mains disconnected, wait 10 seconds then reconnect the mains lead. It started up but I've had to order a new pram battery - it's dead so not keeping the date and time info when the mains is disconnected. I'm relieved to finally have all the settings I was missing (there were more important documents than I remembered) and now have the G4 set up as it was before the problems.

Disk warrior, voodoo it is, yes.

Glad you've got your files back.

It wasn't warrior that gave me access. I was trying to open it from the CDR and sort out the permissions thing when the hdd appeared. I could run warrior all night as it does take a long time but it was hardly moving, if at all. It's not worth bothering with the hard drive any longer.

You said something about warrior can run in the background and detect any problems. I'm not sure how to install it as there isn't an installer, just a lot of folders with files and folder aliases. It's best run as a bootable disc so I'll keep it to hand.
    Last edited by TIU; 29th May 2014 at 23:34.

+ Reply to Thread