+ Reply to Thread

Thread: the dark side... (may contain pips!)

Blog Entries

Talking the dark side... (may contain pips!)

Well. I recently got myself an M-Audio MBox off eBay for £25. for doing some recording, mixing etc on protools. it isn't compatible with windows 7, so I tried a fresh XP installation. every time I started ProTools 7 on XP the computer rebooted.
    So a new approach was needed.

I got myself a Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66 with 1GB ram off eBay for around £80. Running Tiger, but that's perfect for what I want. However there's an issue with the CD/DVD drive in that it spits the discs back out after 5 seconds. I've managed to work around that with a spare internal IDE DVD drive and an IDE-USB connector.
    Anyone any ideas what might be causing the Mac drive to spit the discs out? I'm planning on getting a super drive, a ram and processor upgrade for the Mini so I can get into some ambient/trance music making. But the existing setup works fine.

So, My first Mac.
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

What discs is it rejecting, all of them? Is it an Intel based Mac? Tiger is out of date now but the early Intel Macs will run it as well as the PPC Macs. Obviously there's a conflict somewhere. You may need at least Leopard (10.5.8).
    Last edited by TIU; 15th June 2014 at 09:17.

It's a common fault with some of the slot drives, they do it when they are goosed, most replace them or use an outboard drive.

Blog Entries

Yeah, suspected as much. Using an external at the moment. dont want to upgrade to leopard as it may cause issues with ProTools/M-Box. I may upgrade the processor/memory at some point, and chuck in an SSD. but so far no real issues. Even with an old USB keyboard and cheap optical mouse from the pound shop!
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Upgrade the ram if you can, crucial runs a little app to tell you exactly what type you need. And they are competiveky priced. I wouldn't bother with a proc upgrade and ssds are still pricey if you want one that lasts. I have held off on ssd for my mbp for exactly that reason.

Blog Entries

yeah, knew about the crucial app. The ICT tech at school is Mac daft so he'll point me in the right direction of a bargain...
    put an SSD in one of my main machines and it's been great so far. I'm only using it for the OS. my plan is to keep a backup image of the OS and re-image if things go wrong.

Yeah, my MacMate® thinks it's a faulty disc drive. Of course Apple won't thank you for treating it like a PC. The new macs are even harder to get into. They keep trying.

+ Reply to Thread