+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My new Love

Default My new Love

I have just had a shock.

I am listening to a pre-amp my 19 year old son John has built as a project for an application to get an apprenticeship, using 4 Russian Nuvista valves, with a PSU designed by a professional friend of mine, for which John etched/made his own PCB at college, all other parts of the Pre-amp are hard wired. My friend safety checked the finished pre-amp.

The pre-amp is playing direct into my Power-amp I have never heard the like, it improves on my excellent modified and tube rolled valve pre-amp, I would not have believed that such an improvement was possible, the Nuvista's are so fast and tune full...

My OTA Quad 57's are playing bass rich John jnr recordings with no stress or struggling and deeper than I thought possible, using my existing exceptional pre-amp I have heard how the Rogue Atlas Magnum power-amp I use drives Quads exceptionally well. Playing Beethoven 9th ode to joy choral section magnificent, we have thrown every genre of music at it only to find all areas of the envelope are improved despite higher highs it remains sweet and oh so clean...

It is so good, after his interviews etc I have asked him to build me one, I am a very proud father.

John

Blog Entries

go for it m8 :P
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Sounds like a talented young man you have there John

Thank you, I'm not going to say anything, I'm biased.

When a home built amp performs this good, it does make me wonder what some manufacturers get away with for the high price. I wish I had the knowledge to build one myself. Is it passive John?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    When a home built amp performs this good, it does make me wonder what some manufacturers get away with for the high price. I wish I had the knowledge to build one myself. Is it passive John?
    No it has gain quite how much I do not know, the only defense of high prices I can think of is the same as plumbers "expertise" ie "the knowledge to build one" and the confidence, John is at the end of 3 years at college, add the time involved, this was not not a 5 minute project, the caps for instance whilst not Black Gates they are nearly all best Panasonic's there is also the middleman/men,tax etc. which all apply to an Ongaku however does it justify tens of thousands???.

+ Reply to Thread