+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Russian PIO output capacitor OKBG-MH 1.0uF 600V Muse Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS

Default Russian PIO output capacitor OKBG-MH 1.0uF 600V Muse Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS

Some time ago I bought from a member of another forum a Muse Mini Dac TDA1543 X 4 NOS Optical input from the TV & Coaxial input from CD player. The Muse had been modified as shown on a long thread on Head Fi. It has had the output caps removed then the PCB holes were bridged it also had the small bypass capacitors removed.

These mods worked well great bass, mids, the treble after some industrial tube rolling in the preamp & power-amp which has increased resolution incredibly across the board I detected a hint of harshness/grain, I read on the same thread about using fleabay sourced Russian PIO 5% capacitors OKBG-MH 1.0uF 600V @ 1.50 each they arrived Friday , they are enormous.

My son who after making his Nuvista pre-amp now has the soldering iron bragging rights in our household has removed the bridges; He then soldered lengths of cat 5 wire to the PCB I made a polycarbonate base with wood off-cuts to support the Muse on top of capacitors.

Now the Bass is full and articulate , mids lush? Treble airy and sweet no hint of grain...

My input the demon Dremel work to alow the wires to exit the case.

Mental. I did a similar thing to a XLPS-V3 phono stage and replaced the output caps with big polyprops (clarity caps IIRC). They were huge but luckily they fitted in the case. Kudos to your bravery for drilling the holes in the box

Quote Originally Posted by eddie spaghetti View Post
    Mental. I did a similar thing to a XLPS-V3 phono stage and replaced the output caps with big polyprops (clarity caps IIRC). They were huge but luckily they fitted in the case. Kudos to your bravery for drilling the holes in the box
    These caps are oil & paper they must have cost a fortune to make; no bravery involved, the case is in 2 halves, top & bottom extruded aluminium with plastic end plates, cutting disc on Dremel, only had to cut 1/8" x 1/8" square out of the bottom edge of the top section. did 2 sets in case I needed bypass caps, now ventilation as I don't think I need bypass caps.

The leads are not acting as aerials no discernible RF.

I'm still trying to understand the thread title.

I stated I had no desire to bypass the caps on the Muse.

A friend of mine who designs/sells sound equipment ie just about everything except speakers, was in town on business, he was listening for the first time to music on my system via the turntable; he was I believe amazed at what he heard he said he would have my Quad 57's in a heartbeat he could not believe their bass output; surprising as he uses various transmission line speakers.

I then played some CD's he suggested I bypassed the P10 caps on the Muse DAC with 5000- 10000 pf silver mica caps.

I thought for 3 and 5 minutes work ok. The pair of 5420 pf 350v 2% Russian silver mica caps arrived today.

My soldering iron wielding son is away, as I did not need to open the case I stuck them to the giant P10 Russian caps with double sided tape used cat 5 twisted copper pairs to solder across the P10 caps (bypass).

Still smooth but much more detail shimmering treble with natural ambiance, bass deeper & better defined. midd's more natural and they are still burning/bedding in.

Will buy my friend a pint when time permits

+ Reply to Thread