+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AI top plate ?

Default AI top plate ?

Hi John ,
    Did i see a mention on the Linn forum regarding a new top plate ? I hope so,Its some thing i`ve thought about but the other third party plates are too expensine.

regards

Steve
    Steve1ooo
    LINN LP12/CIRCUS/Sole MK VI /LINGO/ A/O PU7/Audio Ortofon Cadaenza Bronze
    Trichord Diablo+NCPS, Icon Audio stereo 40 MK 111 , Acoustic Energy radiance two.

Hi Steve.

You certainly did m8 ! I have a number of options on the go but I'm no longer going to be posting on the Linn forums as most their peeps are lost cause with generally closed minds to what I can and have achieved. Plus a particular dealer based in the Midlands is quite hostile, frankly I don't trust the individual.

That said the options I plan may not suit you at all and will generally be dissed by Linnie's even though to my ears they really bear fruit so here goes...

Top plate option 1 is going to be 2mm thick 316 brushed stainless steel with motor position at 07:30 as this certainly provides to my ears better stability.

Top plate option 2 is same as option 1 but with a different suspension bolt connection, which is currently showing great promise but is yet to be perfected for commercial offerings. I may be persuaded to offer this top plate option with the motor in the original 10:30 location. We'll see?

The next option involves a complete kit of parts of new sub-chassis, arm board, new top plate, completely different suspension geometry and possibly a completely new and different bearing, as my bearing repair for pre Cirkus bearing is superb and has shown me that the Linn bearing in standard form really can be improved.

In effect this will totally transform the LP12's performance in as much that it will no longer be considered an LP12 but it will be worth it for those who have older Sondeks. Aesthetically it will virtually resemble the LP12 but in performance and presentation terms it will be in another league, basically then an LP12 converted to an Analogue innovation TT.

Guide price that I am aiming for including the transfer of parts to your current LP12 plinth will be circa 2.5k - well, I hope.

The suspension design I am currently employing will allow for any arm including the SME 309/VI and V and set up will be a doddle.

Our test bed LP12 configuration right now is as follows..

Top plate as option 2 above with the alternative suspension bolt connection, plus Sole VII, PU7/Denon DL301, pre Cirkus bearing with our nifty bearing repair and some other bit and bobs that are further mods on trial and powered by a Norton Airpower - it is performing beyond all expectations.. Better than I had hoped for in all reality, I'd certainly be very happy to pit this work in progress deck against Linn flagship LP12.

Watch this space !!

Kind regards.

John.

Wow sounds exciting John ! I would be interested in a top plate with the motor in the 7.30 as the arguments in its favour make perfect sense to me .
    I swapped my platter mat for the Linn felt mat last night So much detail and impact was lost I swapped them straight back. So i`m no Linn only man.
    If i can improve things without spending a fortune so much the better.
    Good luck with your efforts and keep us informed.

regards
    Steve1ooo
    LINN LP12/CIRCUS/Sole MK VI /LINGO/ A/O PU7/Audio Ortofon Cadaenza Bronze
    Trichord Diablo+NCPS, Icon Audio stereo 40 MK 111 , Acoustic Energy radiance two.

Quote Originally Posted by steve1ooo View Post
    Wow sounds exciting John ! I would be interested in a top plate with the motor in the 7.30 as the arguments in its favour make perfect sense to me .
    I swapped my platter mat for the Linn felt mat last night So much detail and impact was lost I swapped them straight back. So i`m no Linn only man.
    If i can improve things without spending a fortune so much the better.
    Good luck with your efforts and keep us informed.

regards
    Thanks for your interest Steve and good to hear the Plattamat is still better for you than the Linn felt rag.

We certainly will keep you informed on how things pan out.

Kind regards.

John

Blog Entries

need any plinths/surrounds to drop that top plate into?
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Thanks Brian, what do you have?

Kind regards

John R

Blog Entries

nothing to hand, John, as I'm not into the dark side, but a surround can't be that difficult to make, even for megabucks.

I don't know what influence the surround has on a Linn (maybe it's the source of the colouration!) but if your products are doing wondrous things, maybe a scientific approach to surround building materials would be warranted.
    cheers.....Bryan

That's OK Bryan, no worries I have numerous plinths here anyhow.

The thing with the LP12 that I've come to learn over the years is that many of its components have a profound effect on its "sound" as folk refer to it, perhaps "coloration" as you suggest. Though I prefer to use the term transcription performance - how it handles the conversion of mech energy at the transducer which sends the minute electrical signal whilst resisting vibrational influences from the environment in which it's placed in our listening rooms.

Our current set up has us transfixed but all this needs tidying before it's turned into a commercial possibility.. The end of this week will be very interesting.

Kind regards.

John R.

Blog Entries

sounding very good, John. Let me know if I can be of any help.
    cheers.....Bryan

Thank you Bryan.

Please check your PM inbox.

Kind regards.

John.

Blog Entries

replied to PM, 13:30
    cheers.....Bryan

Well I'm both sorry and also glad I waited for the latest and greatest from your drafting board John, as these developments are beyond exciting!

Me thinks you are on the verge, in the not too distant future, of launching your own break away interpretation of the (suggest generic title here), replete with a Linn-inspired upgrade path to bring over any and all who hear the call, and feel themselves chosen! (Pardon the religious allusion to those who despise it, but I was indoctrinated early. ;-). ) As they say in some quarters, many are called but few are chosen. ( I always thought that made better sense the other way round)

Those called and chosen to take the path less travelled appear in for a treat (now I'm mixing up my authors, It seems), judging from your preliminary findings!

As to your preliminary findings, if I may, I might add that your penchant for understatement is admirable, but potential customers should be warned that they need not temper your reports the way they would the shamelessly self serving boasts that are the standard these days.

I can say this, of course, because as the best psychologist in the world, I have measured you with precision and certainty even from a distance, and one and all should be reassured, since I am also the smartest person in the world . . . .

(I hope you detect my attempt to be funny here...)

Seriously, though, I think it's well worth noting you are very restrained in the self praise department, and if you offer a "noticeable improvement", then the customer will very likely say something like "wow! He should have charged more for this."

So I think this should be the year I invest in what's new since my last Sole conversion experience. Praise be to (fill in the blank with the inspiration of your choosing)!
    Last edited by Tube Nube; 19th November 2014 at 03:24.

Blog Entries

wooh, where did all this come from, have I missed a page or three?
    cheers.....Bryan

Just me ranting again.

+ Reply to Thread