+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A&R Cambridge A60 amp

Default A&R Cambridge A60 amp

I'll document what happens with this old integrated here. It's an early model with 0070 serial number so DIN-type 'speaker sockets and source inputs, of which there are four. Not sure yet what phono stage capabilities it has as there was an optional MC60 board. Chances are it only has MM but that's fine. I prefer an external phono amp anyway.

Alison baulked at the 80.00 price and then declared, 'It doesn't match!' I had to show her the site of a well known budget hifi retailer to put the A60 into context.

I forgot it has a headphone socket so using the DIN to female phono adapter I have I can now listen to music. Listening to Back in Black remastered CD after the excellent tribute band gig last night.

A couple of these arrived today. Good quality plugs and neatly made but weird having to buy interconnects again when I have quite a few of them. So now I can listen to records, CDs and tapes on headphones. All inputs filled now (except for the 'mag-P.U.') - I'll have to get a switching box.
    Attached Images

How f*@kin difficult is it to post two din plugs? Not received in five days so still can't listen through the speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    How f*@kin difficult is it to post two din plugs? Not received in five days so still can't listen through the speakers.
    They comin' from China?????
    I recently ordered three sizes of Jubilee clips from Amazin' and one size appeared the next day. Only when the others never arrived and I did some investigation I discovered they were coming from Hong Kong. Nae bother to me, but a strange way to do business for small insignificant goods. They eventually arrived in about ten days.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    They eventually arrived in about ten days.
    You have a way with cheering peeps up
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Quote Originally Posted by KB1 View Post
    You have a way with cheering peeps up
    LOL..... I could possibly have a couple of these in my tool box (but would have to check), if Gary wants them. I'd be happy to stick them in the post.

I'm missing something here tho Gary.
    You've already posted that you got new DIN / RCA cables and you can listen through headphones. The pics I can find on Google Images show the rear of an A60 to have DINs for the inputs and banana plugs for the speakers. What do you need the two other DINs for?
    G
    Last edited by WullieD20; 13th November 2014 at 19:56.

The early models had DIN sockets for the speakers too. We are talking 1976 lol. They were used for car radios too. They tweaked the design over a few years, which included changing to the modern speaker sockets.

The ebay seller is a UK based company so the package should have arrived by now.

The early models had DIN sockets for the speakers too. We are talking 1976 lol. They were used for car radios too. They tweaked the design over a few years, which included changing to the modern speaker sockets.

The ebay seller is a UK based company so the package should have arrived by now.
    Got it all now mate. Cheers.

Yep, always disappointing when stuff takes longer than 3 or 4 days when sourced in the UK.

Plugs still not arrived. The order details say estimated delivery 19 - 20 Nov yet ebay say 12 -13 Nov. Why 19 to 20th, they are in Alfreton not Australia!

Plugs still not arrived. The order details say estimated delivery 19 - 20 Nov yet ebay say 12 -13 Nov. Why 19 to 20th, they are in Alfreton not Australia!
    I wouldn't have the balls to even put a fiver on THAT!!!! Sounding just like my wee story above....

Still without a speaker connection. I picked it up on 6th November, still haven't heard it properly. Hopefully tomorrow evening as ordered plugs from a different seller. Surely it won't go wrong twice!

BTW, is it best to plug the speakers into switched or direct?

The audio obsessive compulsive disorder peeps would probably say use direct. Try both and see if you can hear any difference.

I think the difference is to do with the headphone circuit, not the SQ. Switched will cut the speakers, direct will not?

Also, the DIN plugs have arrived today (from the second order, not the first). Does it matter which way round I connect the wires to the two screw terminals in the plugs?

S'ok, got it off t'internet.
    Last edited by TIU; 18th November 2014 at 18:40.

I'm assuming one terminal will be + and the other will be -. Is one coloured red and the other black? If so red will be + and black will b -. As long as you connect both sets of cables the same way + on amp to + on speakers and - on amp to - on speakers it should be fine. If they are not colour coded then you will have to experiment. if your system lacks bass then the connections are probably reversed on one speaker.

Got it now and it's working fine. One screw connection (they look the same and aren't colour coded) lines up with the round pin, which is positive and the other connection is for the flat pin - negative.

Early days with this amp but I think we'll get along fine. My speakers aren't the last word in sensitivity but there's ample volume for this room and my neighbours both sides. So far it performs very well; nicely balanced; I haven't managed to trip it up yet. The Division Bell remaster sounds superb, the best I've heard the album. Gilmour's guitar is beautifully recorded and fills the room. Classical piano sounds very good too but these standmounts do excel in the treble especially. You'll have to come and hear them Si. It feels good to be able to listen to records knowing all the system is my own - nothing on loan.
    Attached Images

din plugs!

tis the very deeevils work I tell ye

Seriously though glad you got it working Gary. I often think vinyl sounds more pleasant through an old fashioned amp with tone controls. Unless of course you only have recent releases in your collection

I was buying vinyl when you were a twinkle in yer dad's thingy m'lad.

lol I didnay realise you were that old Garry. I'm still a kid at 44 - NEVER grow up, I tried, it's boring as hell!

+ Reply to Thread