+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A&R Cambridge A60 amp

Well maybe I wasn't buying vinyl at the age of ten lol.

At ten I got my first lp, Rush - Rush. By the time I turned eleven I had an auto changer dropped into an old hard wood drawer, fitted perfectly too. An old amp board I ripped from a discarded music centre was driving a pair of Maplin speakers. Think I had 7 or 8 lp's and about 20 singles.

If I left it turned on at night with nothing playing, the unshielded amp board picked up Radio Moscow

You were lucky. I had to endure vinyl in the form of Dean Martin, Perry Como, Val Doonican, et al. Oh, and my dad's brass bands.

Doon Valium and Perry Coma were very popular when I was a kid (among people I generally avoided)

Mind you so was Mantovani

I had to endure Scottish accordion ceilidh music (shite like Jimmy Shand) that dad insisted on playing, drove me radio rental for years but it was a dam good incentive to get my own stuff.

Val Hooligan was popular when i were a lad. My mum and dad bought Mantovani boxsets which, strangely enough, were not some of the records i took with me when i left home.

Si, here are the pics I took when I first got it. Do the sides/ends look the same now?
    Attached Images

Blog Entries

That's ok. You see the damage on the left hand side where the wood has broken away from the edge of the sleeve. That's what I was referring too. It happens when the chassis moves inside the sleeve and is probably the result of previous shipping etc. I'll have a good look at it when I take the sleeve off. It doesn't look to hard to put right.
    Si.

OK Si, that's a relief. It's probably changed hands quite a few times and isn't too bad considering its age. Notice the wear on the volume knob? It seems a bit loose as well. I was thinking of restoring the teak case myself. How would you recommend going about it as there are a few deep scratches?

Blog Entries

Yeah do it yourself by all means. I don't mind sticking the edge back together to stop it getting any worse.
    I think you'll have to sand it right back and you might have to re veneer it. It's awkward to do because of the thin returns. If it was mine I'd flat it and fill the scratches then prime it and spray paint it. Same colour as the turntable top plate would be nice and a thick ply base to sit it on to match the plinth.
    Si.

Henry is very kindly loaning me a Sony integrated from today so I can still play some records while the A60 is away. It's been a week since I disconnected it and I'm missing the hifi. TV is rubbish, I keep going through loads of channels and then switching it off!

Blimey, when Henry said he had a spare 30W Sony amp I imagined it was one he bought years ago and one of those old amps you see a lot of on ebay, etc. No it's a pristine 3000ES model in silver finish with a remote, very smart. It sounds as clear as a bell, just listening to The Endless River on CD - sublime. Thanks Henry!

Henry is well impressed with your adapted arm and tt build Si. I mentioned that when fitting the Shure cart I simply moved the outer weight back, which with hindsight was a bit lazy so this afternoon I've had a fiddle and reset the tracking weight by moving the main weight and then fine tuning with the outer weight. I also decided the arm wasn't exactly parallel so I've raised it at the pivot slightly. That's it for now, it sounds magnificent, as usual. I still feel very privileged to own this deck.
    Attached Images

Blog Entries

I'm glad Henry approves. He know good kit when he sees/hears it Yours is the best Lenco BigBoy I've built and I feel the arm is a bit special. When I had it playing here it was magical I'm building another arm very similar to yours to go on my own BigBoy.
    Si.

Did you get a moment to blow the dust out of the A60 interior?

If there are no pics of your new Lenco build it aint happening.
    Last edited by TIU; 15th February 2015 at 23:25.

Blog Entries

Haven't had time to pull the sleeve yet Gary. Anyway what do you mean "pics or it never happened"

Si.

Sorry mate, did you post that pic before? It's my age lol.

Blog Entries

No need to apologise Gary. I don't think I've posted that pic before but I put it up just in case you doubted that I'd built another BigBoy. The plinth is built differently to yours, three inch wide strips with each layer at 90 degrees to each other instead of solid layers. I'm going to sell the SME and build another arm for it like yours.
    Si.

I presume this is what I need for the tape deck connection so it only uses the one (Tape) socket.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2816011738...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Blog Entries

Aye that looks ok.
    Si.

+ Reply to Thread