+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Audio Detail solid state rectifier for Ming Da MC7R

Default Audio Detail solid state rectifier for Ming Da MC7R

Since the beginning of the year I have been "Tube Rolling" some unusual tubes/valves in my all valve system. I have put Russian tubes in all my equipment mostly using valve socket savers converted by me into adapters because the available adapters do not "earth/ground" the screen (pin 9) of most Russian valves allowing hum, these run on @ 6.3v only.

I have even put 6CG7 (TV) tubes in my Rogue Atlas Magnum as driver tubes I had contacted Rogue who told me the that 6CG7's @ 600mA twice the draw of a 12AU7 (ECC82) could not sensibly be used.

It occurred to me that as I would have needed to make an adapter to use the 6CG7, why not add 2 wires ie + & - to pins 4 & 5 removing the external pins. I connected via a switch a small lead acid 6v 12Ah alarm battery (6.3v).

All of these swaps worked spectacularly well, I thought the icing on the cake was visiting Mark (The Ming) Manwaring-White in Malvern; Mark is Ming Da UK he converted my Ming Da MC7R valve compliment to fully regulated DC, and tested it for some hours running a pair of valves each drawing 750-800mA to make sure there was no overheating there was not. There is now no discernible hum or valve noise.

Mark had a new toy a valve tester all my valves tested NOS except the 274b rectifier which was about 20% down. I said I had read & been PM'd on another forum about the successful use of a Weber Copper Cap solid state rectifier. Mark told me he would see what he could do.

Since the Malvern visit some weeks ago I have been enjoying the best sounds I have ever had until today, a parcel arrived post marked Malvern inside was an Audio Detail (I belive Mark is also Audio Detail) solid state rectifier, I put it in and powered up, the bass slightly deeper but less "flabby" with more detail mids more detail at the same time more natural as was the treble more detail but sweeter, I believe it is the best 20 + postage I have ever spent on my sound system, I have been listening all day album after album from "Wish you were here" to Brubeck, Mahler & Beethoven.

I have no financial connection to M Manwaring-White only as a very satisfied customer.

Nice one. It's nice when a tweak works better than expected. Being a bit of a "tweaker" myself, I know that some tweaks can be disappointing like the time i replaced the smoothing caps on the power supply of an Arcam Alpha CD player. Had to desolder them and take them back out (only to put them back in again to let them "bed in"... i was a bit premature)

Its probably completely different - I normally these things wrong.

When I built my tube phono stage I set it to use the tube rectifier. It sounded a bit soft and uninspiring. However, with a change of a couple of wires I switched it to use the solid state rectifier. Bam! What a difference that made - pretty much as you describe. Paul still thinks it sounds too soft!!

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

I have no idea what a rectifier is or does. (Goes off to google it.)

Hint , its got nowt to do with your arse.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

Well, if it was it would be a loose state rectifier. I googled it and looked at some pretty pictures. That's as far as I'll go.

See what level you've brought this down to in a few words.

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    Its probably completely different - I normally these things wrong.

When I built my tube phono stage I set it to use the tube rectifier. It sounded a bit soft and uninspiring. However, with a change of a couple of wires I switched it to use the solid state rectifier. Bam! What a difference that made - pretty much as you describe. Paul still thinks it sounds too soft!!

Euan
    Last time I heard it at yours with CJ pre it was anything but soft, in fact it was extremely nice indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Well, if it was it would be a loose state rectifier. I googled it and looked at some pretty pictures. That's as far as I'll go.

See what level you've brought this down to in a few words.
    Look on it as care in the community, it was easy for you to stoop down to that level, but think the effort Keef had to go to to climb up so high.

Lol. .
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

double lol,

+ Reply to Thread