+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 401 Motor Spring Dampers

Default 401 Motor Spring Dampers

Does anyone know if it is better to buy the Perfect Sound Garrard 401 motor spring dampers at 5.99 or cut some rubber tubing myself that I found in the draw?
    I wondered if their rubber was a special compound hand cut to a special damping resonance
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garrard-40.../180667451155?

Also I wondered if anyone knew if this oil costing 7.99 for 10ml was good for the Garrard 401?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Turntable-Oil-Recommended-by-Hi-Fi-World-magazine-/400814360566?ssPageName=ADME:AAQ:GB:1123

Then I noticed this oil costing 11.95 for 950ml
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RED-LINE-5...item3a938d1682

If you buy too much oil does it go off?
    The only way round is through the bend...

Oil hazard a guess it can go gloopy with age (?)

Blog Entries

there will always be people trying to make a quick buck.

If it has a resonance, it can't be damping!!

Mineral oil will not go off, vegetable oil will.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

Default Wot a Nob!

Stir Fry...

Have u heard the latest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-Ef...6_111371890215

It's not just a quick buck in the HiFi World. The Pro world has this to deal with.... Mwahahahahha Mwahahahhahahaa

Quote Originally Posted by cat's squirrel View Post
    Not strictly true Bryan. ie: Conventional Castrol GTX is distilled from crude oil and will age degrade, hence the reason for reasonably frequent oil changes in you car. This oil will age degrade over a long period whether in use or not. Unlike synthetic motor oils such as Mobil 1 / Castrol Edge and the like, which are manufactured from chemicals and do not degrade, hence their changes are necessary because of the work they do in your engine, albeit over a much longer period.

All a bit of a moot point when discussing the lubrication of a turntable, but fully synthetic (0-30 / 5-30) such as the Redline link in the OP or Mobil 1 etc would do the job in the 401 and last forever.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Quote Originally Posted by Audiovista View Post
    Stir Fry...

Have u heard the latest?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-Ef...6_111371890215

It's not just a quick buck in the HiFi World. The Pro world has this to deal with.... Mwahahahahha Mwahahahhahahaa
    Can I put my knob on ebay to raise some cash for crimbo?

So buying 950ml of analogue oil for 11.95 is a false economy unless you are cooking for Kryton?
    Better (non) stick with the 10 ml for 7.99...

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Not strictly true Bryan. ie: Conventional Castrol GTX is distilled from crude oil and will age degrade, hence the reason for reasonably frequent oil changes in you car. This oil will age degrade over a long period whether in use or not. Unlike synthetic motor oils such as Mobil 1 / Castrol Edge and the like, which are manufactured from chemicals and do not degrade, hence their changes are necessary because of the work they do in your engine, albeit over a much longer period.

All a bit of a moot point when discussing the lubrication of a turntable, but fully synthetic (0-30 / 5-30) such as the Redline link in the OP or Mobil 1 etc would do the job in the 401 and last forever.

If you don't do your own car servicing, you must know someone who does (??). An eggcup of fully synthetic is all you require. If you are stuck, let me know and I'll send you some; there's loads in my garage.... Take your pick: Castrol Edge, Mobil 1 or Quantum (Volkswagen/Audi equivalent), all fully synthetic.

Regards,
    Gordon.

I have some of that in a small clothes washing liquid plastic thingy. It's been on a shelf and several small flies took a liking to it. They're now not doing much flying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post

maybe I should have said in normal turntable use. Any lube oil will work, some better than others, so it is said. But, synthetic oil, being of smaller molecular size, will leak before the mineral lube oil will.

BTW, you change the oil in your car for reasons other than oil degradation, although that may be partly the reason. For turntables, thermal degradation effects are not considered.
    cheers.....Bryan

maybe I should have said in normal turntable use. Any lube oil will work, some better than others, so it is said. But, synthetic oil, being of smaller molecular size, will leak before the mineral lube oil will. WHY? It doesn't leak out of my car and certainly doesn't leak from my TT!

BTW, you change the oil in your car for reasons other than oil degradation, (What reasons? If it doesn't "degrade" through age, temperature, carbon deposits etc, why would you want to change it? That how synthetics came about - in order to extend service intervals!) although that may be partly the reason. For turntables, thermal degradation effects are not considered.
    G.

Blog Entries

as stated, synthetic oil has smaller molecules, and therefore will find their way through orifices that larger lube oils will not. When the oil does leak from your car/turntable, it will be the synthetic leaking before the lube oil. Although Mobil stated that oil changes could be as long as 25000 miles apart, I don't think they say that now!

The hydrocarbons in the lube oil do not chemically degrade, although they will be sheared by mechanical means. Degradation will occur when subjected to heat and pressure as found in a combustion engine. And it is the additives that degrade, not the hydrocarbon oil. That is why we take our spent oil to the re-cycler and not the incinerator, although in Scotland, YMMV.

So, if mineral oil is left on the shelf, the shelf will fall down before any changes to the oil.
    cheers.....Bryan

My 401 leaks. Maybe I should use Lard..?

Regarding that expensive knob. Is the bane of my HiFi bro's life. He hires out PA gear and the latest DVDJ Pioneery thingies are made to a domestic quality. The knobs fall apart after 6 months use on the road then they have the gall to charge 19 squid each!! Needle's to say it wind him up a touch. The clients insist on the latest players even though they are allegedly pants in comparison to the older ones.

I need to see one of these nobs to check if it's a standard fitting. When you think of how little (Panasonic) Technics sold the SL1210 mk2 for so many years. 20 of these plastic/rubbered nobs would pay for a bomb proof Direct Drive metal turntable...

It's topsy turvy to put it mildly...
    Last edited by Audiovista; 18th December 2014 at 16:06. Reason: oops

there will always be people trying to make a quick buck.

If it has a resonance, it can't be damping!!

A body of water can resonate
    A body of water can damp
    A body of water can be damp

Cheers Gordon.
    I use 3 in 1 but it does leak out. Got one of them CTC trust bearings with a rubber ring insert that is not supposed to leak. Has a steel Knife edge instead of the bronze pad. I dare not open it up to see if it has eaten the spindle. They seem like they know what they're on about so I trusted them to try one out.
    Them so called "non damaging" bronze ball thrust pads sold on eBay for 27 ruin the spindle in no time. There was more damage caused to my spindle in 6 months using the Xact Audio Design thrust pad than the 40 odd years of the original pad. Got the Macro photo's to prove it somewhere.

It's really good the way feedback works eBay works. By the time I discover that XAD's product has irreparably damaged my 401 spindle 6 moths later, I have lost my opportunity to warn other people of my bad experience. XAD blissfully carry on carving up the old 301's and 401's with their "soft" bronze balls... Maybe they work for a greedy HiFi company that thinks the are better than everyone else and are out to eliminate the competition... Mwahahahahah Mwahahahahaha

Both Classic Turntable Company and Lorricraft said do not use the XAD because of the damage...
    Just in case anyone was thinking of trying one don't say you were not warned...

Guess which tt won this year's HFW best turntable. The Technics SL-1200 with the Mk2/Timestep T-01 DD Controller. Price: 3,680.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Guess which tt won this year's HFW best turntable. The Technics SL-1200 with the Mk2/Timestep T-01 DD Controller. Price: 3,680.
    Blimey!
    I want to hear one of these Timesteps. One went on the bay with a 1210 for a song. Shoulda snapped it up for RnD.
    They sound like they know what they are doing. They'll fix everything that can possibly be done on an SP10 for a Sky High Fee.

Their services are better than anyone else's because they know what they are doing and have lots of measurement equipment etc and you can't trust anyone else who just blindly recaps the PSU etc etc..

Great if your pockets sound like a cave, cave, cave, cave......

I don't get it. All it does is give you the ability to play a record at any speed. Why would you want to play a record at an incorrect speed?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I don't get it. All it does is give you the ability to play a record at any speed. Why would you want to play a record at an incorrect speed?
    Do you never have fast days and slow days?

+ Reply to Thread