+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 401 Motor Spring Dampers

Default Big Doe

It's not just the Audio world that is costing us this Christmas.
    Some of Lidl's Deluxe Range is Big Doe
    Attached Images
    The only way round is through the bend...

That's a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Audiovista View Post
    Them so called "non damaging" bronze ball thrust pads sold on eBay for 27 ruin the spindle in no time. There was more damage caused to my spindle in 6 months using the Xact Audio Design thrust pad than the 40 odd years of the original pad. Got the Macro photo's to prove it somewhere.

It's really good the way feedback works eBay works. By the time I discover that XAD's product has irreparably damaged my 401 spindle 6 moths later, I have lost my opportunity to warn other people of my bad experience. XAD blissfully carry on carving up the old 301's and 401's with their "soft" bronze balls... Maybe they work for a greedy HiFi company that thinks the are better than everyone else and are out to eliminate the competition... Mwahahahahah Mwahahahahaha

Both Classic Turntable Company and Lorricraft said do not use the XAD because of the damage...
    Just in case anyone was thinking of trying one don't say you were not warned...
    Hi - first post.

Interesting. I bought an XAD for the same reasons as you, only to have Loricraft confirm the exact same occurrence. It has really annoyed me but they have lapped the spindle again and done their best to eradicate the 0.5mm dimple.

Are the CTC bearings worthwhile? Do they cause damage?

Default Aftermarket 401 Thrust Pad Spindle Damage

Quote Originally Posted by jusbe View Post
    Hi - first post.

Interesting. I bought an XAD for the same reasons as you, only to have Loricraft confirm the exact same occurrence. It has really annoyed me but they have lapped the spindle again and done their best to eradicate the 0.5mm dimple.

Are the CTC bearings worthwhile? Do they cause damage?
    Hi,
    I can confirm that the CTC knife edge bearing had it's own wicked way of wearing my spindle. It polished out a lot of damage caused by the XAD but definitely caused another wider footprint of wear and left an ugly black staining steel powder deposit coating the spindle. I polished that out with Brasso.

I don't recommend either thrust pad. However CTC seem to have come up with a new bronze thrust pad alternative which may be more polite.
    The only way round is through the bend...

Quote Originally Posted by Audiovista View Post
    Hi,
    I can confirm that the CTC knife edge bearing had it's own wicked way of wearing my spindle. It polished out a lot of damage caused by the XAD but definitely caused another wider footprint of wear and left an ugly black staining steel powder deposit coating the spindle. I polished that out with Brasso.

I don't recommend either thrust pad. However CTC seem to have come up with a new bronze thrust pad alternative which may be more polite.
    Thanks for the info. Fortunately, Loricraft have found an original replacement for me to use for now.

Looking at the new CTC bronze device, it still seems to have a point. I'm not sure the Gerrard spindles are sufficiently hard to accommodate new materials. Perhaps I should seek a modern spindle?

Blog Entries

can't say I agree, Wullie. The lube oil from crude has been in the ground for millions of years, without degradation. What degrades in the mineral oil are the additives, the rate of degradation influenced by temperature and friction of the engine parts. If the oil in your car could be effectively filtered, and the degraded additives removed, one could recycle it for (nearly) ever. Some long chain hydrocarbons would reduce in length, but for turntable bearings, this would not be a bad thing.
    cheers.....Bryan

http://qualia.webs.com/

+ Reply to Thread