+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Complete Jazz Newbie

forgotten how great this album is, I bet it would also sound fantastic on the few of the systems up hear in Scotland, you know who you are the big as fridge speakers brigade,

so I got a rather modest system, but spinning Wynton Marsalis the maricia suite a fantastic thing all round, modern old and all inbetween , the last 3 or 4 tracks, especially the bottom end and the clarity of the simple recording is on my old boxes very good,. on another note, I have been listening tonight on another 2nd set of big old sonys I brought a while ago and I am bold over at the way things sound on a good recording, these things are old things, model sony ss S51 another set of three ways, I seem to have gotten on the upgrade budd again , shirleys going to change the locks I suspect some time, soon , but these have a 12 inch bass , the magnets aint as big as the other sonys , but plenty of volume for loud listening , I mean playalong with the bass volume, in my little rocking wood shed. would be interested to hear any one elses opinion of ht esynton cd if you get it, . its part of a set I have a few of them, ,

jb .

Top 20 Jazz Albums (a purely personal choice). In lumps of five: first batch absolutely essential, next five fairly essential, etc:

Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong - Ella and Louis
    The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out
    Charles Mingus - Ah Um
    John Coltrane - Blue Train
    Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

Horace Silver - Song For My Father
    Art Pepper - meets the Rhythm Section
    Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder
    Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage
    Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

Stan Getz & Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto
    Sonny Rollins - Saxophone Colossus
    Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
    Grant Green - Matador
    Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth

Wes Montgomery - The incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery
    Bill Evans Trio - Waltz For Debby
    Weather Report – Heavy Weather
    Thelonious Monk - Brilliant Corners
    John Coltrane – A Love Supreme

Thanks Theo I am not a Jazzer (Profs description ) but I actually own most of those, and the ones I don't I will investigate further.

From a personal perspective I find Jazz up to about 1965 I like and enjoy, and its pleasant to listen too. Once the new wave, avant-guard fusion type stuff comes in it leaves me a bit cold and I find it all a bit tuneless. I have a mate who thinks Miles is god, but again for me anything recorded after 65 is just a tuneless noise......I will get my coat
    -
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Like you, Jazz from early 50's to the mid-60s is my favourite period, but I tend to follow certain artists and see where that leads me, e.g. the drummer Elvin Jones and the pianist McCoy Tyner. Their late-60s Blue Note output, and the labels they moved to in the early 70s, are fabulous. Same with Herbie Hancock (before he went down the electro route) and Wayne Shorter (right up to and including Weather Report). Freddie Hubbard did some great stuff on the CTI label in the early 70s (check out 'Red Clay' and 'First Light'). Indeed, the CTI roster did some great albums if you like your jazz on the 'less challenging' side.

I love Miles' output from the mid-60s on, but it obviously leaves you cold.

Don't forget to check out some British Jazz too: find the compilation 'Impressed Vol.2', compiled by Gilles Peterson, for a splendid introduction to British jazz 65-74.

+ Reply to Thread