+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary's A&R A60.

Blog Entries

Which clown has put an oversize image on here
    Si.

Looking good Si. I will do a photo before and after comparison to see what's been replaced as it's not clear to me, I just see a mass of strange objects, lol.

Is the main transformer in good nick?

Looking great Si. Reminds me of the days when i used to sit in the workshop modding equipment. Still got some nice bits like black gate and elna hifi capacitors sitting up there. Priorities have changed now so i doubt i'll be modding equipment again in a hurry.

Blog Entries

Ta lads. Gary, pic no 2 and no 5 will show you before and after. Transformer looks ok.
    Si.

Yes Si, I copied those two and then opened them side by side to see the changes. Did you try contacting Arcam to see if they have a better diagram(s)? They should have documentation of the various upgrades that were done over its production run.

Blog Entries

I'm only servicing it Gary, no upgrades and I've found some decent diagrams so no need to contact Arcam. As far as I know there were no upgrades anyway to the early models, the big upgrade was to bring out the mk2 version. The pcb is very different.
    Si.

Yes I know it's a service. I picked up a larger and better box at one of the places I work at. I could flatten it and send it up if that would be useful.

Blog Entries

I managed to sit on one cheek for half an hour today and replace the output transistor emitter resistors with good quality wire wounds and replace the bias trimmers also. I'll try and do a bit more tomorrow.
    Si.

Si, all joking aside now, leave it yer daft bugger! I checked with Henry just yesterday and he said his amp is mine for as long as I want it so just leave my A60 until after you've rested up. You'll end up straining something else! I think you do things too soon because you've always been so active. Seriously, no rush to get my amp finished, just leave it m8.

Blog Entries

I know that Gary but just lying here on the bed is getting me nowhere. If I feel up to it I'd rather spend some time doing something. If it's too much for me then I won't do it. Besides it takes my mind off things.
    Si.

You're a martyr to the hi-fi cause.

Any more news on this Si?

Blog Entries

Apologies Gary, I ordered six diodes which I still haven't got and then I got caught up in something else so I put it to one side. Tbh I haven't been up to doing much recently and my son and his family have invited themselves over this weekend. I'll make the effort to finish it next week. I could do with it out of the way to be honest. Anyway it's all your fault, I've spent a lot of time listening to Peter Gabriel this last week. A smashing album Gary, thanks. Even Jean likes some of it so that can't be bad
    Si.

You shouldn't admit to not doing something else while you're listening to music. It gives the opposition more ammunition about us not being able to multi-task.

Blog Entries

I can multi task when I'm listening to a cd but not vinyl. There's something there that just grabs my attention
    Si.

I know exactly what you mean. When I'm concentrating in my 'studio' there's music on but I often don't hear it. I know if a tt was in there I'd get little done.

Just thought I'd cheer you up and say despite Gabriel's album being titled 'Up', the overriding theme is death. He looked at his back catalogue and decided he hadn't really covered that subject.

Any progress Si?

Blog Entries

I've spent a few hours agonising over linking out the mag input so that it works like a line level input. I finally decided that if the internal phono stage is not going to be used then it's no point leaving it powered. Because of the layout I had no option but to pick a good spot and cut the track. I did it here because there's already a soldered joint at this point and if the phono stage is ever reinstated the join will be easier to make and less visible.

I also decided to remove the input and output caps so as to completely divorce the input and output from the internal circuitry. I also lifted a pair of resistors which form part of a potential divider across the output of the internal phono stage as we don't need these. A pair of screened link wires inserted in the holes vacated by the input and output caps completes the job.

Reinstatement of the internal phono stage is straightforward. I've documented what's been done and how to reverse it and the four components will be included with the instructions. Tomorrow I'm going to build the amp back up and with a bit of luck it'll work as intended
    Si.

Great work Si. Using the mag input for my Slee phono amp (or any phono amp) will be very useful. It makes a lot of sense as not many vinyl lovers stay with an internal board and means I'll have an input for my tuner. I'm sure it will sound as sweet as ever. What are you going to link it up to?

+ Reply to Thread