+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tonearm for BigBoy II

Blog Entries

Default Tonearm for BigBoy II

I felt good this morning so I decided to tackle the tonearm for BigBoy II, something I've been putting off for quite a while. BigBoy II is another Lenco turntable I built for myself after having built one for Gary. Mine has my SME 3012 mounted on it but someone has expressed an interest in the turntable but doesn't want the 3012.

The chap has asked for a modified Jelco like the one I built for Gary but after borrowing my Lenco he also wants it adjustable ie on a sliding bed. So the fun begins. I had another old LAD tonearm ( built by Jelco) which had seen better days so I stripped it down into its component parts and spent some time cleaning them whilst I decided how I was going to do this. The first thing was to acquire an SME bedplate and I bought one for the SME III, the one with the titanium armtube. I like these bedplates because they'te better made than the earlier ones, they have a ptfe liner so they slide nicely and they clamp the arm pillar with a long bolt which is just so much easier. There's no SME label either.

One issue with this plate is that the slider is only clamped with one bolt on one side. the other side is used for the bias. I ditched that but couldn't get another nut and bolt so I made a pair from two M4s. I'm using chrome dome nuts and I think they look ok.

Here they are fitted,

The next step was to match the arm pillar to the bedplate. There's a bit of difference in diameter between the two so I machined a sleeve out of aluminium to take up the slack,

I've machined a brass plug for the bottom of the tube for the arm wires to exit. I much prefer my arms to have fixed wiring.

So that's it for today, more later
    Si.

Excellent Si. Great work.

The sliding arm could be useful. Nicely thought out and made as per usual. Is the guy local been as he borrowed the tt?

I was stewarding an exhibition today at the local art centre (mac). The current exhibits would appeal to you Si, he's a designer/crafstman who pays homage to the old crafts by building mobile work stations that can be used to make goods anywhere and by collecting and recycling locally found materials. In his video that accompanies the exhibition, he talks about all the skilled people that work in their sheds and homes up and down the country. http://www.willshannon.co.uk/

Blog Entries

The chap lives near Stafford Gary. I've known him a long time. Come to think of it he's nearer to you than me. He'll be coming over next week to pick his preamp up and inspect the work so far

Stewarding a show aye Gary. That sounds interesting. We're you exhibiting any stuff? Found that Will Shannon website quite interesting too.
    Si.

No Si, my work will be on show at the Rugby School next month and then in Hinckley. Anyway, enough about me, get on with the arm.

Blog Entries

After a long lay off I managed to get a bit done to the tonearm. I made a new counterweight out of brass but decided to turn down the original counterweight and make it into an insert which is then glued and pressed into the new brass counterweight. It's too heavy at this stage but I'll machine it down when the arm's finally assembled.

I decided to spray paint the metal parts of the arm as they're made of something unsuitable for anodising. These parts show the workings of the lower bearing and anti skate. The aluminium sleeve is glued and pressed onto the original arm pillar,

A couple of pics of the arm assembled to make sure it all goes back together ok before wiring and final assembly.

Just the headshell to finish and we should be good to go.
    Si.

looking good Si. Do you think you'll experiment with some damping oil in the reservoir? I didn't detect any difference with mine.

Blog Entries

I will try some silicone oil Gary. After the result you had I'm going to try some Michell oil. It's thick like treacle and will pretty much damp anything. It might be too thick but it'll be a good starting point.
    Si.

I have the bottle here to show you when you visit. Actually I'd forgotten all about it and didn't do much experimenting with it tbh. I think it's still in there.

It's really good news to hear you are so active again. I hope problems don't return, you've had your share I would have thought.
    Last edited by TIU; 22nd May 2015 at 20:35.

Blog Entries

Thanks Gary. I seem to have gone from bedridden to hyper active in a week. I spent this afternoon with an industrial machine designer and I start work for him next week. It all looks very interesting and I think I'm going to enjoy getting back to work.
    Si.

So that is different to the short-term light fitting work you mentioned? Great news!

Blog Entries

Aye just a bit. The light fittings are for the same company. Things just escalated slightly lol but I've told them I'm semi retired now and I'm only willing to work two or three days a week. That seems to suit them fine as they don't have enough work to take someone on full time.....yet
    Si.

Glad to see this moving again. I loved the example on Gary's deck.

Blog Entries

Thanks Henry. I'm just glad to be back on my feet again and able to carry on where I left off. I decided to get stuck into my lad's amps this morning as they've been here well over six months so the headshell is on tomorrows agenda.
    Gary's arm was done on a tight budget of more or less zero. I just used what I had lying around and I was more than happy with the result
    Si.

Blog Entries

nice work there Si !!
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Blog Entries

Thank you kindly John. No state of the art jobbie I'm afraid but it'll sound nice and make someone happy
    Si.

+ Reply to Thread