+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scam?

Blog Entries

Thanks qube, I've now disabled JS on both iPads and I'll do the G5 next time I boot it up.

What's the actual purpose of JS. Is it only of benefit to them rather than us?
    Si.

it's for dynamic websites, running videos or apps that appear inside your browser.

Can be used for all kinds of cool things such as this in-browser Atari 2600 emulator http://www.virtualatari.org/

But it can be used for dodgy things. I work for an Internet Service Provider, we often see customer sites get hacked and the hacker embeds dodgy code into the site that is used for root-kits and whatnot. If you're all patched then generally everything is OK, I've been running Macs for a long time and never encountered anything harmful but it is out there.

I've had JS enabled since 1992 and not had a single problem. With it turned off some web content will not display correctly but try it off and see how it goes. Why you need to disable it on newer ipads I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    ,I've been running Macs for a long time and never encountered anything harmful but it is out there.
    Precisely qubey, stop scaring the guy.

Blog Entries

I'll see what happens with JS turned off and if problems arise I'll turn it back on.
    Si.

JavaScript enables sites to run code via a website, it's notoriously insecure as hackers are always finding ways to exploit it, the latest one I've seen is this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/04..._of_net_users/

So whilst if you're running a current OS and browser and everything is patched up to date then you're generally OK (until the next thing comes along) but if you're running an old computer with old software then I would ensure JS is disabled as it would add some protection.
    Word
    The only way round is through the bend...

If you have a current browser / operating system then the risk is low, but if you have an old one then whether you decide to enable is for you to decide.

This article is a couple of years old but is still good advice: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/disable-...ews-18042.html
    and http://disablejava.com/

Oh dear, I thought I'd try JavaScript off for a while to see what happened. I tried to open my ebay summary page, which I look at every day and this happened:
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    Yes I thought that Warren but two pop ups came up on my screen one on top of the other and froze the screen. I couldn't get anything to work and when I knocked off the computer and rebooted it the screen came up just the same. Eventually I knocked the computer off and disconnected it from the router. When I started it up again I was able to clear everything. I've had it up and running connected to the net since and it's been fine but the thing freezing gave me the jitters at the time. I'm not very computer savvy tbh.
    Sounds like a freaky one that Si. Hope the Java Off helps.

I give my Mac's a good rake out every 18 months when things get sluggish. I have been using a software called SuperDuper which clones the System onto a separate Hard Disk. Rather than re-install everything from scratch which takes all day (though better), I can wipe the Mac and put the clone back on in under an hour. This Clone also acts as an emergency Mac I can boot up from just in case something bad happens to the OS. It's a bit of a faff but makes good squirrel in the long run.

Occasionally I'll upgrade to next OS if it's proven stable. Currently stuck on 10.8.5 which is annoying enough. They got rid of "Save As". WTF??? It makes saving versions more awkward than ever.
    I get the feeling things will get more annoying in the latest OS.

Have you heard about the new Macbook?
    http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...g-guy-downfall

A computer with only 1 hole and less powerful than an Air.... Available in Gold!

The Mac OS have never been as prone to viruses, etc as Windoze. Every system is not infallible and hackers will always find a way. Backing up now and again is useful if you have stuff you don't want to lose. As for JavaScript, I'm leaving mine on.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Oh dear, I thought I'd try JavaScript off for a while to see what happened. I tried to open my ebay summary page, which I look at every day and this happened:
    Crumbs!

Yes, I dropped my sandwich!

Blog Entries

2010 Mac Mini on it's way
    Si.

yay, you should be able to use 'Migration Assistant' to port all your data from your old machine to the new one, just make sure they're both switched on at the same time.

yay, you should be able to use 'Migration Assistant' to port all your data from your old machine to the new one, just make sure they're both switched on at the same time.
    Will that need a firewire cable Matt? The PPC Simon has doesn't have a wireless facility afaik. Well mine doesn't anyway.

Blog Entries

Thanks qube. I only mentioned it in passing and one of my daughters decided to help her poor old dad out
    Si.

no, just connected to your router / internet.

Plug in old Mac as normal, when you power up the new mac and create your user account for the first time it'll spot the other mac on the network and ask if you if you've just bought a new machine and want to copy the stuff over from the old one..

Failing that if you have a backup (time machine) hard drive for the old machine if you plug that into the new one it will do the same thing.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the info qube. I've never attempted anything like this before so expect some shouts for help lol. Computers scare the living daylights out of me and I'm very good at messing things up Do I need an iTunes account or anything?
    Si.

Hi, how far away are you from Leeds? I can help walk you though it.

You can create an account, that will help, doesn't cost anything.

Worry not Chops, as with most things from Cupertino it just works, if unsure hook up an outboard drive, bigger than your internal one ideally and do a time machine backup. Then hook new outer to Hard drive and restore from backup, slightly longer that way but will mean you can use the old mac while the new one is restoring. It's a doddle, and Warren of I can help, even your desktop pics and icons are in same place. Very clever. Enjoy your new mini, and plan on adding as much ram as it. as it can take and a solid state drive, will be a flying machine.

+ Reply to Thread