+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Jean Michel Jarre Album

Default New Jean Michel Jarre Album

There is a new album due out this year.

In the meantime the Vinyl Factory is releasing three collaboration EP's.

Not so keen on the Massive Attack one but the other two are right up my Rue/Strasse!

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/vinyl...on-vinyl-sets/

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

They are limited editions of 1000 copies. I have purchased all three.

Above & Beyond remix - get the glow sticks out!

Would have been good to spell Edgar's surname correctly.
    Last edited by TIU; 14th May 2015 at 15:52.

I've ordered the records also, however from what I've heard so far I find them a little disappointing. Apologies for the moan:

When Oxygene appeared it was unique, no-one had ever made an album consisting purely of electronic instruments that sounded like that, before everything was either discordant drones or twee classical covers. This French bloke totally changed the landscape of what was possible (even Tangerine Dream had to re-evaluate their whole sound), electronic music could now have a melody, a theme, chords, actually sound like music! The production on that record remains head and shoulders above pretty music anything else, the follow up albums, Equinoxe, Magnetic Fields, Zoolook etc all showed a level of creativity and inventiveness that few could match. Tangerine Dream again made loads of killer albums (Rubycon, Stratosfear, Force majeure, tangram, Logos, Poland, Exit, Le Parc etc) that featured sounds and textures no-one has ever been able to replicate (well other than Perge perhaps ;P ).
    The hardware available today is infinitely more powerful than what was available back then but despite all of that these old albums remain the benchmark of electronic music production, I've been playing with Synths for nearly 25 years and would struggle to make an Oxygene for sure! However jarre's management team are quick to point out that he is a 'pioneer', they'll mention his past successes and show photos of the massive collection of synths and music hardware he has at his disposal, several hundred Ęk worth. He also is a full time musician, so can spend as long as he likes in the studio working and developing new music, he's fairly famous too so can pick and choose who he wants to work with also, he's had a good life (he also had a Charlotte Rampling too so a really good life!!), so when he comes forward with new music and a new album after a 15 year break I expect greatness, it didn't take that long for him to make any of his classic records, and he has all that new technology to help now also, this should be spectacular. He got to work with Edgar Froese whom also pegged himself as a pioneer and a master of electronic music, look at all those great albums he helped make!
    Yet whilst these clips are OK, there's nothing wrong with them, there's nothing that special about them either, it's music anyone could have made, the JMJ/EF track would take me a couple of days to knock together, I'm just a hobbyist that fiddles with keyboards in my spare time, I've loads of muso friends who could do something similar or better without much effort as well. But because none of them are Jean-Michel Jarre no-one really cares what they do, that's fine we're all 40 years too late we just do it for fun. But if you bill yourself as a master, a pioneer, or a genius then make something that knocks socks off, play something brilliant, if you can't do it any more, that's cool, just let it go.

There is an argument that having paid his dues, he is then entitled to the exposure he gets that others probably would not. Either way, if the records sell well he has been justified, if not he probably won't be signed again. That is just the way the industry works.

Hmm. I am a big JMJ fan and i admit i probably wouldn't have bothered buying them if i wasn't. I agree with you about losing some of the "magic" but a lot of artist do that as they get older. I think it's a combination of complacency and arthritis .

Some vocalists also claim that their voices change over time.

This isn't a label putting them out, it's all self funded.

vocalists voices get lower as they age, songs have to be down-tuned to accommodate them

I like parts of Oxygene but the rest of his output is bland and uninspiring to me. I recently gave a mint condition Rendez-Vous LP to Oxfam. And I did the same with Equinoxe I think.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I like parts of Oxygene but the rest of his output is bland and uninspiring to me. I recently gave a mint condition Rendez-Vous LP to Oxfam. And I did the same with Equinoxe I think.
    I think you sold me a combined gatefold copy of Oxygene and Equinox a while back.

I quite like the Massive Attack one, but the TD one is like them both together, but it does;t work for me, both artists best kept apart, the other one i don;t really like, but the price is fair, i might order the MA one.

I've tried to order the MA but when I click the add to cart nowt happens....I guess it's gone already

Looks to be the case Steve. The other two add to basket ok.

+ Reply to Thread