+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cheapo audio set up.

Default Cheapo audio set up.

Scored a 1978 NAD 3020 for free, it just needed the pots cleaning and general internal clean, Picked up the Luxman for free a few years back and added a free Acos Lustre. Headshell cost me a fiver. Hung a loaned Goldring G910 on it and playing through my 50 quid Monitor Audio 'Monitor One' speakers.

I must say that after a fettle with the TT settings it sounds very nice indeed.

Happy little vegemite I am.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

Is that the Lustre GST 1? Those arms have great reviews on vinylengine. What's the Nad like? I've never owned a Nad amp. Luxman can be a peculiar brand. I recently saw an old luxman integrated amp that only had one 5-pin DIN input at the back marked 'Tape 2 Connect'. Yet it had two sets of speaker outputs.

Here it is:

It has three input selector buttons so how does that work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUXMAN-STU...item35e907eb3c
    Last edited by TIU; 22nd May 2015 at 00:02.

Yes it's a GST 1, missing the base plate though, it is in good condition with bearings being still as new. The NAD is a little worse for wear, the front panel has been broken at some stage and glued back together and it could probably do with a recap due to it's age. Sound wise it is a little muddy at the bottom end when compared to the Copland, for a budget amp it is pretty darn good, I can see why they sold in their millions. The luxman is a pd264, not high end by any stretch of the imagination, the base was warped and flimsy so I fabricated a new one from 6mm MDF, this has transformed it a fair bit as it is now more rigit and the detail seems to have improved. It is a DD TT and all the electronics are working fine and motor is stable.
    I have a Rock and I'm not afraid to use it.

+ Reply to Thread