+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Philips CD 104 CD Player resurected

Default Philips CD 104 CD Player resurected

Recently I drove to Malvern where Mark the Ming (Ming da UK) aka Mark Mainwaring White added Bluetooth to my son's DIY Nuvista pre-amp. freeing up a couple of inputs.

I have a 1984 Philips CD104 CD player replaced in the 1990's when it persistently malfunctioned.
    I did some research on the internet, it appears that most problems with this CD player result from "Griplets" a type of hollow rivet that goes through the double sided PCB joining the ground planes.
    The "Griplets" fail simply re-soldering does not work even if a meter shows continuity! as strongly suggested using a fine drill the "Griplets" identifiable as blobs of solder were drilled through then wires were pushed through and soldered on each side. This player has fixed signal/phono leads so a pair of my DIY leads were soldered in place, though we had chassis RCA sockets to hand this saved on soldered joints.

The result was even better than I remembered & functioned flawlessly.

The CD104 uses a TDA1540 DAC chip which is 14 bit when Philips discovered that Sony and others were coming to the market with 16 bit Players Philips pushed it's engineers into adding oversampling in the guise of a SAA7030 error correction chip. My reading indicates a Non Oversampling (NOS) mod which involves desoldering & removing the SAA7030 chip and adding a 1k resistor to an isolated leg on another chip to provide 5v to enable 14 bit's to be read, the result is worth the effort and will come next.

Below is a photo from the internet showing the cross wiring replacing the SAA7030 chip and resistor together with a few of the "Griplets".

Last edited by Big John; 7th June 2015 at 16:18. Reason: Photo added

Ik heb een 1984 Philips CD104 CD-speler vervangen in de jaren 1990 toen het aanhoudend defect.
    Ik deed wat onderzoek op het internet, blijkt dat de meeste problemen met deze CD-speler resultaat van "Griplets" een soort van holle klinknagel die gaat door de dubbelzijdige PCB toetreding tot de grond vliegtuigen.
    De "Griplets" ontbreek gewoon opnieuw solderen niet werken, zelfs als een meter toont continu´teit! zo sterk gesuggereerd met een fijne boor de "Griplets" herkenbaar blobs soldeer werden geboord door vervolgens draden werden geduwd door en gesoldeerd aan elke kant. Deze speler heeft een vaste signaal / phono leidt dus een paar van mijn DIY leads werden gesoldeerd op zijn plaats, al hadden we het chassis RCA-aansluitingen op deze opgeslagen op soldeerverbindingen overhandigen.

Het resultaat was zelfs beter dan ik me herinnerde en functioneerde feilloos.

De CD104 gebruikt een TDA1540 DAC chip, die is 14-bits als Philips ontdekte dat Sony en anderen op de markt kwamen met 16 bit spelers Philips duwde het is ingenieurs in het toevoegen van oversampling in de gedaante van een SAA7030 foutcorrectie chip. Mijn lezen geeft een Non Oversampling (NOS) mod die desoldering & verwijderen van de SAA7030 chip en het toevoegen van een 1k weerstand om een ​​ge´soleerde been op een andere chip 5v leveren aan te kunnen lezen 14 bit's gaat, het resultaat is de moeite waard en zal komen volgende.

This Dutch makes as much sense to me lol. Good job John, whatever you did.

. . . Should you not have printed that twice??? (double).......
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Probably Gordon but overkill perhaps.

I think cd players were better made in the 80s, it's just the resolution that improved over time (?) Affordable players anyway, not the hi-end machines. Wasn't Philips one of the better manufactures of this technology?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Probably Gordon but overkill perhaps.
    LOL.....

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I think cd players were better made in the 80s, it's just the resolution that improved over time (?) Affordable players anyway, not the hi-end machines. Wasn't Philips one of the better manufactures of this technology?
    IIRC Philips set the ball rolling and the new technology grabbed everyone's attention, with few other manufacturers offering anything much in the first instance. I remember being very impressed with the first generation Meridian two box player that IMHO moved the goalposts significantly at their first attempt. Quad's first attempt was also quite impressive at a reasonable price, but a lot of players (from various manufacturers) suffered the early problems of 'jumping' and 'sticking' etc, of which we've probably all heard an example at some time or another.

I remember going to the Bristol show in those days and having the piss takin' out of us by the Quad rep. for driving all the way to Bristol for a hi-fi show. (It was a good excuse for a weekend away, a few beers, a good dinner and a decent show). However, we got our own back after he waxed lyrical about digital performance (over vinyl) and his player started to jump and skip!!! "We all have a cross to bare!"
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Unsoldering the SAA7030 Over-sampling chip & fitting a 24 pin IC socket, then plugging in the No Overall Sampling PCB with flip/flop IC reclocking the CD104 the results of which are beyond belief gone from 16 bit to 14 bit now have more detail better bass; sounds so natural best thing I have bought off Ebay.

More for TIU to coment on this is Bulgarian not DD.

Some observations on the modified Philips CD104

This CD104 is in my son's system comprising my phono leads, John jnr built TNT PreAmble Nuvista preamp + bluetooth a 150 WPC @ 8 ohms dual mono mosfet poweramp with enormous power supply's, 1.5m Ubyte speaker cables, Professionally modded TDL studio 10 speakers (crossovers upgraded & ports moved to the front) courtesy of Mark the Ming, this is not one of the" TDL transmission line" designs more a front ported box as John jnr is sensitive to the bass time delay/smeer of a transmission line

Quite different to the quads & all valves in my system, however I have listened to a couple of my Chesky HQ CD's before and after,

Slightly less overall gain. Small hint of harshness gone treble sweeter with more detail, mids more open again more detail better balanced, bass deeper not bloated better defined, John jnr listening to a Deadmause track which he knows well said he was hearing effects & notes he had not heard before, this is not a small difference; all in all it sounds natural/right in John's system.

John jnr is an electronics & engineering student he de-soldered the 24 pin SAA7030 despite working on alternate ends/sides to avoid heat soak there was still a little crisping of this 30+ year old PCB hence the IC socket had it gone wrong it would have enabled reinstatement of the SAA7030 without more soldering.

I still have the replacement for the CD104 a John Westlake designed Cambridge CD4 se and he rates it as one of his best. This modded CD104 probably edges it, John Westlake said a few years ago that the first up grade for the CD4se should be a discreet output, I feel some valves coming on...

The CD104 with SAA7030 removed & non oversampling/reclock circuit in place is so good despite being only 14 bit now, after listening to it in my system I am retiring my Cambridge CD4 se.

I bought a pristine CD104 off eBay, this CD104 even arrived in it's original cardboard box & it works though sold as having an intermittent fault ie. not reading CD's

Having already modded the Philips CD104 in his own system, with my latest purchase John jnr. took about an hour to drill & wire through the "griplets" dismount the SAA7030 soldering in a 24 pin chip socket then plugging in the "non oversampling/reclock circuit" off eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200842336715? ... EBIDX%3AIT) cut PCB link solder on resistor to enable chip to read 14 bit then reasemble.

I must add that I have no connection with the seller in Bulgaria.it has been noted regarding the first CD104 NOS/reclock circuit that the wiring than on the eBay chip was messy the wiring on this one was less neat than the first, however it works equally well which is brilliantly.
    Last edited by Big John; 3rd August 2015 at 12:38. Reason: spelling

+ Reply to Thread