+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are there any decent example of a crossover w. adjustable levels for the drivers?

Default Are there any decent example of a crossover w. adjustable levels for the drivers?

This local brand has this X change system
    Any idea how they went about designing it, seeing that raising or lowering the tweeter would inevitably mess with the crossover point?

that would just eq the sound in a weird way. If you had a tweeter and woofer you could just bi-amp them without a crossover, split the source input into both amps but via an audio mixer, you could play to your hearts content then with setting crossover points and adjusting the sound.

Don't see the point obviously, if you're building your own speaker you'd want to be able to alter it whilst you get it right but then it'll never need altering again.

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    that would just eq the sound in a weird way. If you had a tweeter and woofer you could just bi-amp them without a crossover, split the source input into both amps but via an audio mixer, you could play to your hearts content then with setting crossover points and adjusting the sound.

Don't see the point obviously, if you're building your own speaker you'd want to be able to alter it whilst you get it right but then it'll never need altering again.
    Cheers, mate! Well, you see: I've basically been bombarding the Internet recently in my trying to figure out the workings of these Boston HS speakers of mine and why they seem to put out more lows than mids and highs. Some kind of balance has to be way off with them, even with these calibration methods that measure their responses and automatically tries to compensate the dips and peaks with a graphic EQ.

These run in a home theatre setup which means there are 6 of them in total. The amp does allow for the fronts to be bi-amped (if opting not to use the back surr speaker) but would still require EQ-ing to balance the stages. Then I'd still be four channels short to bi-amp the lot of them, so would require two stereo amps or a second surround amp. As you can tell that's bound to be costy, complex and quite hot.

I think what I do for starters is bypassing the resistor for the woofer which I believe would make it less sensitive by a couple of dBs - correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption.

+ Reply to Thread