+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dynakill

Default Dynakill

Just picked up this Dynakit 70 from ehboi. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DYNACO-DYN...p2047675.l2557
    Thought I could tidy it up wit fresher wires etc.

Anywaze upon instant inspection I noticed rattly Condensers.
    Opened lid to find 2 of them completely loose.
    Turned her upside down to make a dent in each knee only to see that the only thing holding the condensers in place were the wires. The case had been hacked and the cans were brittle glued in and running wild.

Bearing in mind the case is not earthed meaning with a jolt I could have enjoyed a full cap discharge for breakfast.

Postman PAT had not tested this.

Here's a video:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxg...ew?usp=sharing

Does anyone know how dangerous these voltages could be?

I decided not to plug it in before contacting seller.
    A hearty reply only too willing to remedy the situation

"Hello , thank you for checking it before usage and restoration if this was the case , yes indeed I did use it sat still without problems but did not know they were not secure otherwise would have mentioned this , and secured them , best regards"

Somebody coulda got hurt...
    Attached Images
    The only way round is through the bend...

Blog Entries

I reckon the seller was a bit economic with the truth and will have known about this Warren but covered himself with the "spares or restoration" bit. Still, it was a pretty good buy for the brass. Should be fairly easy to sort out and will make a nice amp. I don't suppose you can do anything with that 110 volt transformer?
    Si.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Chops54 View Post
    I reckon the seller was a bit economic with the truth and will have known about this Warren but covered himself with the "spares or restoration" bit. Still, it was a pretty good buy for the brass. Should be fairly easy to sort out and will make a nice amp. I don't suppose you can do anything with that 110 volt transformer?
    He didn't show much accountability for putting a customers life at risk.

Read some Dynakit forums. Don't think the tranny has split input 120+120 taps as they sell a separate 240v Tranny for other markets.
    I glued the condensers back on with more superglue, added an earth and used a chunky step down tranny to test it.

Sound:
    Pretty pleasant. Compared to an EAR 859: Bit harsher mid trebble (2-3k) and lighter on bass. Slight hum. Read that might be Cap leakage???
    Helluva lot cheaper than an 859

Speaking of Death Sentences:
    Yesterday we installed a few PA's into Whitebottom Farm in Etherow Country Park for the Blackthorn Music Festival. Our Mains Feed was 32Amp 3 Phase. They gave us a Male end of a cable and said it is best to take the other end out when plugging it in because its Dodgy....

We later noticed that the other end of this cable was also a Male Plug going into a live Socket.
    We were to plug the Male into a board to change gender. This live feed just sat on the farm floor.
    I picked it up thinking should I test it with my electrical screwdriver. Cripes

Hi I'm Live 32Amp 3 Phase
    Hi I'm LIVE 32Amp 3phase.jpg
    Big Point Source Stacks. Just how we like it
    Wee Stack.jpg
    Baaaaah
    Baaah.jpg
    The only way round is through the bend...

Blog Entries

That socket is a plug! Utter madness mate. I don't know how some of them get away with it.
    Si.

Sorry I've stumbled in late to enjoy this thread, about a year after the fact.

I wonder where the project is now? When I initially thought this was a new post, I was going to eagerly recommend tubes4hifi.com as a source of upgrading this to stunningly contemporary status, and the attached forum for friendly and expert support and guidance.

+ Reply to Thread