+ Reply to Thread

Thread: great jazz cd , to my ears

Default great jazz cd , to my ears

been playing a good cd today stanly clark trio jazz in the garden sounds very good to me in the tunes dept and also seems well recorded, drums sound like drums etc, even the piano is in tune, and properly recorded, with in the confines of close miking etc, .

on another subject I am still surprised at how pleasant a 15 year old Marantz 6000 ose cd player can sound it was only about 150 new, mind you that was a good wedge of money then , I have been having some fun listening to my modest system, well its modest compared to many in hear, so I have for the moment got a nice big set of sony G4 I SUPPOSE YOU WAOULD CALL EM VIINTAGE, big 10 inch bass midrange and a nice little sweet treble unit, in a big cabinet nice brown plastic rap , the cabs are stand mounts 64 cm tall 37 cm wide and nice and deep 32cm ,

a old kenwood 2030 se very basic amp but has enough power to go loud enough , cables that just a pound a metre sort of stuff, and one other thing apprt from 20 cables one of russ Andrews little balsa wood shelfs but with a set of three soft sorbothane feet under the cd player, not really sure if its helping much , got it cranked up and it sounds ok to my ears , and plenty of volume in the system , lovely, regards jb ,

I might describe it as a poor mans Yamaha ns monitor sort of thing , but more fake than real ,

I have had a few good cds recently by chance more than choice, also a terrible nigel kennedy does jazz !!! its a shocker on all fronts, I do like nigels playing but oh dear too many beers I fear. regrards jb .

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbass View Post
    been playing a good cd today stanly clark trio jazz in the garden sounds very good to me in the tunes dept and also seems well recorded, drums sound like drums etc, even the piano is in tune, and properly recorded, with in the confines of close miking etc, .
    I have this on vinyl.

Very nice as you say. A bit twee and noodly for my tastes though.
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

jesus your up early ,

sounds like you have also got a new amp in the place, hope you are all well and you cat, I cannot rember if you had one or two , but didn't you get a bonkers dog as well ?

I know what you mean about the noodles on the cd, but its thankfully played properly and the cd sounds ok , I wonder if the record has any more dynamics, I am not sure if modern records would be produced from anything other than the master finished for cd files, the cd seems to have dynamics in part so that's possative, .

I am still when I can listening to tunes on my usal bonkers mix up of random collected bits of hifi , sadly not set up for records at he moment , just a cd player plonked on a olg G plan hifi unit and loads of stuff plugged in ,

funny a lot of musos don't seem to have a half decent or even a system for tunes, and of those many seem to have labels and marks for the volume control its seems to be a musician thing,

I was reminded by a visiting friend that my system still doesent have any remote control she thought it was strange but I mean how difficult is it walking two paces and twiddling the volume control!!!!,

did you replace the big speakers for another set or change brand etc, I had a loan of a nice set of the art orgnal big with built in legs for a very decent price , they sounded fantastic , but at the time I was also very much enjoying my martinlogan panels, with the nice little bass speakersin the bottom , also even though I was give a very good price it was still more than I payed for is often helps doesent it ?

my car out side !!

I think that set went to johnny in Glasgow in the end, they had a very love me or hate me sort of finish on them also , didn't bother me but Shirley wasent convinced , I would love to re speaker my own cheap sonys G4 WITH A ALTOGETHER MORE quicker bass speaker or perhaps get the systemdeck brothers to fettle these crossovers to speed things up , mind you I am driving them with a old kendwood 2030 se thing but it seems to do amplifier duties ok , quiet heavey little amp and seems to have some bigger chunky bits in side of the thing ,

regards

rich

+ Reply to Thread