+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Cinema Speakers

Blog Entries

Default Home Cinema Speakers

I'm toying with the idea of getting some Home Cinema Speakers to replace the silly Sony ones that I've had for years. I'm planning to keep the Sony Amp that currently runs the speakers, at least in the short to medium term.

Due to space constraints, it looks like everything is going to have to be 'flown' (to use Theatre technical speak) rather than on stands, so I'm looking at one bookshelf speaker per corner of the room on a wall bracket firing towards the listening position, plus the centre somewhere in the vicinity of the TV. What I mean is, that compromises have to be made so I'm currently hunting around for something that will do the job for a modest budget. It may be possible to go with 2 floorstanders and only fly the rears.

A quick look around has thrown up the Monitor Audio Bronze range as a possible early contender in terms of budget and sonic acceptablity. It's not for critical listening, mainly for watching movies etc now that I have a bit more time to enjoy such things.

Basically I'm looking at full range boxes, and not satellites the size of a smartphone.
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Which Bronze range? There are quite a few. I wouldn't discount Q Acoustics.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/...ages/pah012385

Or this one http://www.richersounds.com/product/...diam-220-hcp-b
    Last edited by TIU; 3rd August 2015 at 17:18.

Blog Entries

"It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Can't see much wrong with that package. Anything but Bose.

Blog Entries

Just watched a package go on eBay for 350. which is a good reference point.

I'm tempted to buy a centre and a front pair of BX1s or BX2s at the moment, and then buy rears, and finally a sub to replace the Sony one, but I think I'll sit tight for now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Can't see much wrong with that package. Anything but Bose.
    Funny that. I've currently got the equivalent of the Acoustimass idea in that all the bass is coming from the sub and not any of the other speakers, and honestly I don't like it. I dare say that the Bose implementation is better, but if I'm spending money I want 'proper' boxes.

The BX2 package is the best part of 850 which isn't what I want to spend right now. I'll keep my eyes peeled

I am using a pair of Q Acoustics (1010) as nearfield monitors in my hi fi second system.

For a pair of speakers that cost me less than 50 delivered to my door (2nd hand) they punch well above their weight, and I like them a lot. If I upgrade to maybe the 2010 then these will go on my telly.
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Blog Entries

Looks like a trip to Richer Sounds is in order to see what they've got in stock. Still probably a bit soon for purchasing but I may as well have fun doing some research.

I've got a cracking pair of Heybrook Solos in my 2nd system, which were about the same - 50 from Cloth Ears on the 'wam a number of years ago. My reticence to use something like that is purely down to getting a centre that matches sonically.

I went from a similar Sony setup to the Tannoy Mx series. It was a punchy, weighty combo that actually negated the need for a subwoofer for all but that subterranean bass only a sub can do.

Blog Entries

Sounds interesting. Certainly fits the 'traditional boxes' bill.

I can only seen the Vi range on Tannoy's site so I presume that the Mercury range is now discontinued.

i have my telly through the main rig, even when sound coming to amp via the telly's headphone out the sound is amazing, not missing a centre or rears here, if it were my cash I'd spend the budget on a decent stereo speaker with at least a 6" driver plus maybe a sub, and a cheap av amp, i doubt you'll miss what the other channels bring in terms of effects, but you'll have more grunt.

What type of cable do you use for that Paul?

Aren't a lot of music videos/DVDs/Blurays and SACDs in 5.1 surround? You'd need the extra speakers to get the full benefit.

Cable was a cheapie, reasonably well built, can't remember but less than 20.

I don't have a disc player attached, SKY box, Mac Mini, and Sony TV can go online too, thing is for convinence all these devices are HDMI into TV, sound is TV's line out via 3.5mm, to RCA, does it sound as good as a disc player? I'd say any difference isn't worth bothering with, I can connect the mac direct to amp, but I didn't have another cable, besides all coming through telly stops and sync issues.

For TV, film, sport, telly, radio, music, even games if that's your thing, it's fantastic, perhaps 5.1 etc is desirable, but perhaps better left to a deducated room, if domestic bliss is to ensue.

Suggest two "bigger' speakers either side of the telly, or 5 the size of a large tin of paint strategically placed on the walls, and see await the reply, either is desirable, if Mrs K prefers first option can I suggest Cerein Vega if option two, Quad do some mighty fine little monitors, tiny little things, Chezi has some, with Emos front, sounded stunning, huge screen and projector helped too, one day I'll have a seip like that, but still only in stereo, when you have pictures you don't need the last word in audiophile goodness

Blog Entries

Exactly. I just want something a bit better than the telly speakers and the little useless things that came with the AV amp. But it's for movies and surround so 5.1 it is.

Suggested it and she didn't seem too put off by the idea of me placing them on wall brackets. I suspect cabling concessions will need be made. 3 amp 2 core mains with a white sheath may be all I can get away with.

Don't think Cerwin Vega would be as good as some JBL STX825s. Even then I'd still need a sub.

+ Reply to Thread