+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nostaligic project

Default Nostaligic project

Just completed my latest project (they're not usually hi-fi orientated), but had this nostalgic desire to build a Garrard 401 plinth system.

Designed to accept a 9" or a 12" arm with built-in accurate tolerance adjustment to attain perfect spindle to pivot distance. Top section is isolated from bottom section with rubber mounts to reduce motor board transmission to the arm board.

Currently fitted with a 12" Jelco and a Shelter 501 MkII.

Dead chuffed, cause it sounds spectacular.

IMG_0881.b.jpg

IMG_0882.b.jpg

G.
    You can only be young once, but you can be immature for ever.....

Very nice Job
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Looks great Gordon.

Top job Gordon, very nice mate.
    Elitist scum vinyl owner

That looks the business Gordon. I bet it sounds very special. What's the plinth made from and what type of paint finish is it?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    That looks the business Gordon. I bet it sounds very special. What's the plinth made from and what type of paint finish is it?
    Hi Gary,

Plinth is made entirely from Scandinavian birch ply (three 24mm layers for the top and two 24mm layers for the base. The arm board and pillar are made from Delrin (who says you can't polish Delrin? - well most web-sites actually!! - they lie.. ha ha). The paint is a 4-coat system of car paint applied after the base wood was sealed, primed and filled where necessary before rubbing down with very fine wet & dry. The paint is Mazda Soul Red metallic......Some more photos:
    Attached Images

Very impressive work. So what facilities do you have or have access to? How many hours work do you reckon? I know with labours of love the hours somehow don't matter.

Thanks for the compliments guys. A wee bit of history:

I've had a desire to build my own TT for quite a long time now and after VERY much thought I had to admit defeat to some extent, as although I may possess the knowledge and the skills (?), I don't have access to all the necessary tools and tooling in order to produce a quality product when it came down to accurate components such as bearings, spindles, and pulleys etc. Good ideas and dreams, eh?

Tied in with this desire was always the memory of using a Garrard 401 on board an RN frigate, way back in the early seventies when I was already interested in hi-fi and a 401 was the 'weapon of choice'. It was a strange assembly with the TT mounted in a steel 'drawer' that slid out of a huge rack containing a stowage for records and a pre-amp / switching unit and the most enormous tuner (big valves!) that could receive virtually anything from anywhere in the world. The arm on this unit only moved laterally, with no vertical movement at all and the cart was a Sonotone (IIRC) ceramic job in a head shell that rotated vertically around a pivot pin that allowed the cart to be lowered and lifted on and off the record. It had to be seen to be believed! But it did work perfectly well, even when the ship was at sea . . . . .unless it was really rough!!

Anyway, that's the background and having decided to manufacture a painted plinth from birch ply, I set about a design that minimised transmission of motor vibrations to the arm and cartridge, but still allowed the versatility of fitting a 9" or a 12" arm, with a built in tolerance to allow fine tuning of the spindle to pivot distance.

Bugger me, isn't good quality birch ply expensive these days? But while it was on order I got down to some drawings and dimensions and got on with the prep's.

It's taken a while to get it done, but the end result is worth the effort and the sound is amazing.

G

You should do that sort of thing for a living!
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Very impressive work. So what facilities do you have or have access to? How many hours work do you reckon? I know with labours of love the hours somehow don't matter.
    I've got a garage full of all sorts of stuff..... Pillar drill, power sanding disc, numerous hand tools and everything I needed to manufacture this thing (including a compressor and spray painting kit). The only thing I don't have is a lathe and Si was going to do the pillar for the arm board for me before a pal up the road declared he had a lathe I could use, so I've done the whole thing in total, myself.

As for the hours... I haven't a clue, but quite few, to say the least. LOL. I've got shed loads more photos if you are interested in any particular part of the build. ie:
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    You should do that sort of thing for a living!
    LOL.... No, really .. LOL

I'd never make a penny, as I take so long to get the thing produced.... ha ha.

You should see my cooker extractor hood!!!! Took me nearly three months in my spare time.:
    Attached Images

Gordon I hope you don't mind but I have pinched your thread and posted it over on PFM as there was discussions going on about various ply and ply finished plinths for 401

Link to thread http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...85#post2673585
    Garrard 301 with SME 3012, Garrard 401 with PU7 both in slate plinths, Puresound P10, Highphonics SUT, Glasshouse TVC Passive Pre, Bel Canto Set 40 (845 power amp), Tannoy GRF Memory`s

Quote Originally Posted by Andy831 View Post
    Gordon I hope you don't mind but I have pinched your thread and posted it over on PFM as there was discussions going on about various ply and ply finished plinths for 401

Link to thread http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...85#post2673585
    No sweat Andy. These things always open up a host of questions and answers from so many knowledgeable individuals.....who may then influence my next design / build.

I've already seen the pics as you know, but you still deserve a pat on the back mate, well done. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh too though.

I was commissioned ages ago to build the most cost effective 401 plinth I could, with the smallest dimensions possible to accommodate a 401 and a 9" arm.

Came up with 18mm MDF for the carcase and 18mm ply for the motor board. I used a similar design to my current one by using rubber mounts to 'isolate' the motor board and used Makassar Ebony real wood veneer to achieve an aesthetically pleasing turntable. The result was very successful, but I think the birch ply plinth probably leads in the sound stakes:
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Professor View Post
    I've already seen the pics as you know, but you still deserve a pat on the back mate, well done. I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh too though.
    Yeah, you know you're always welcome....... but you'll now have to wait for a short while until I get my Primo back from its MF service...!!! LOL.

What's the timescale?

Dunno yet.

Malcolm sent it off yesterday and (of course!!) it's a bank holiday weekend, so they won't even get it till Tuesday I suspect. And you'll probably have a better idea than me as to how long MF takes to carry out these jobs..... until such time as someone gives me a call(?). Can hardly wait tho.

Quote Originally Posted by WullieD20 View Post
    Dunno yet.

Malcolm sent it off yesterday and (of course!!) it's a bank holiday weekend, so they won't even get it till Tuesday I suspect. And you'll probably have a better idea than me as to how long MF takes to carry out these jobs..... until such time as someone gives me a call(?). Can hardly wait tho.
    Didn't he give you a loaner?

Hmmmmmm! nice. it took you long enough.
    When are you getting that mono cart then?
    If Malcolm has'nt loaned you a phono stage, I have a dirt cheap MF stage you are welcome to borrow for a week or two, just let me know.
    Anthony.

+ Reply to Thread