+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls (4 Sept 2015) - 3LP

Default Iron Maiden - The Book of Souls (4 Sept 2015) - 3LP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Souls

About to be released and, as far as I can tell, will be the first Maiden album released on ordinary
    vinyl since 1998's Virtual XI. The subsequent albums were spewed out on double-picture discs.

The Book of Souls will be a triple LP and will include, on side 6, Maidens longest ever song, the
    18m 01s "Empire of the Clouds".

The Maya-themed cover artwork is created by Mark Wilkinson, formally involved most famously
    with Marillion and then Fish.

James H
    Last edited by james73; 30th August 2015 at 00:14.

Smashing artwork but I've never liked Iron Maiden.

I like the first album and the double live one.

They must be confident of this one to stick it on 6 sides!
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Smashing artwork but I've never liked Iron Maiden.
    i like Run to the Hills and Number of the Beast, but thats about it, shame really as any articles and interviews I've seen they seem like a real good bunch of guys. We flew back from Egypt one year into Manchester, on an Astraeus flight, and Bruce Dickinson was the Pilot, think he did this part time to get his hours up.
    Last edited by The Professor; 1st September 2015 at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by ESK View Post
    I like the first album and the double live one.

They must be confident of this one to stick it on 6 sides!

The first (two) album(s) was with Paul Di'Anno as the vocalist, bet he's sorry he's not with them now Eddie the mascot was a lot better on the first two albums too (Iron Maiden and Killers)
    Last edited by The Professor; 1st September 2015 at 19:53.

I have had a listen to some of the tracks on the album

No matter how good the music is, I just cannot get over Bruce Dickinson's shouting. In my opinion with someone with a bit of melody in his voice they could have been much more accessible. Its a no buy from me.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

I've been listening to Maiden since the 80s so I'm used to Dickinsons "singing".

But I totally get it when folk cant get beyond the way a certain singer sounds. I've never managed to
    get into Rush despite having a lot of their LPs and it's all down to Geddy Lees voice. I've never given
    Elvis Costello a chance either as I find his voice boring as hell.

Got the Maiden album on order...

James H
    Last edited by james73; 9th September 2015 at 21:13.

I'm the same with bucks fizz, s club 7 and the sugar babes.

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    I'm the same with bucks fizz, s club 7 and the sugar babes.
    I dunno, 'Land of Make Believe' and 'Reach for the Stars' were good songs...

James H

Nah, push the button is where it's at.

My copy of this turned up at 7.10pm tonight. Yes, 10 past 7 at night. Damn feckin delivery companies.

Spinning it now...

James H
    Last edited by james73; 11th September 2015 at 20:42.

I remember when Number of the Beast came out, it was really like nothing else. Hearing 'The Prisoner' and 'Run to the Hills' on day time radio was odd.

My elder brother bought the LP and played the crap out of it on his Amstrad tower system!

The first album I bought was their debut on cassette, I kinda lost interest in them after 7th Son but they will always be a special band to me.

Bruce's voice isn't what it was but they can still nail it better than anyone.

Recommeded album

Quote Originally Posted by qube View Post
    I remember when Number of the Beast came out, it was really like nothing else. Hearing 'The Prisoner' and 'Run to the Hills' on day time radio was odd.

My elder brother bought the LP and played the crap out of it on his Amstrad tower system!

The first album I bought was their debut on cassette, I kinda lost interest in them after 7th Son but they will always be a special band to me.

Bruce's voice isn't what it was but they can still nail it better than anyone.

Recommeded album
    I know what you mean. I bought 'No Prayer for the Dying' when it came out but what a
    disappointment it was compared to the previous two stellar LPs. No wonder Adrian Smith left.

After that, I didn't even bother buying 'Fear of the Dark' (big mistake given how rare the vinyl
    version of that one is now) and frankly I thought they were done when Dickinson left, although
    I do have 'Virtual XI' on double LP. This now goes for a fortune on Discogs! I saw them live at
    The Barrowlands in 1998 with Blaze Bayley and it was a cracking gig.

Next thing I heard they'd sacked him and got Dickinson and Smith back in the band. I bought
    'Brave New World'
    and 'Dance of Death' on CD but I think they're fairly ordinary, so I didn't even
    bother with the next two they released. I was also disappointed that they went to the trouble
    of releasing all the new-era Dickinson albums on double picture disc but not proper vinyl. What's
    the point in that?

I have to say, as I've just finished listen to it, this new one is really excellent. Plenty of good stuff
    on it. And side 6 finishes with an 18 minute song - that appeals to my prog side and then some.

James H

They never bettered Wrathchild in my irrelevant opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by james73 View Post
    I know what you mean. I bought 'No Prayer for the Dying' when it came out but what a
    disappointment it was compared to the previous two stellar LPs. No wonder Adrian Smith left.

After that, I didn't even bother buying 'Fear of the Dark' (big mistake given how rare the vinyl
    version of that one is now) and frankly I thought they were done when Dickinson left, although
    I do have 'Virtual XI' on double LP. This now goes for a fortune on Discogs! I saw them live at
    The Barrowlands in 1998 with Blaze Bayley and it was a cracking gig.

Next thing I heard they'd sacked him and got Dickinson and Smith back in the band. I bought
    'Brave New World'
    and 'Dance of Death' on CD but I think they're fairly ordinary, so I didn't even
    bother with the next two they released. I was also disappointed that they went to the trouble
    of releasing all the new-era Dickinson albums on double picture disc but not proper vinyl. What's
    the point in that?

I have to say, as I've just finished listen to it, this new one is really excellent. Plenty of good stuff
    on it. And side 6 finishes with an 18 minute song - that appeals to my prog side and then some.

James H
    I read that Dickinson didn't like the big shiny productions they did for SiT and 7Soa7S and wanted to get back to their roots, this was causing a rift and Smith (who created the shiny productions and introduced synths) quit. The raw sounding albums that followed didn't work for me, Dickinson did some solo stuff and the whole thing started to unravel. Maiden were playing to small venues and it was all looking a bit tired. Harris got in touch with Dickinson to try and get him to come back, he agreed as long as Smith returned, this started the dialogue between them all and they got back together and sacked Blaze without much warning.

Around Seventh Son I was going off metal anyway and getting into all kinds of other types of music, I've never really gotten back into it but there are times when nothing else will do, live they're something special. Not played the new one yet, will have a blast this weekend.

You might be right, but I'm not sure how much sway Dickinson had in the matter. Maiden has always been 'Arry Harris' band.
    And it always will be! That said, the title track of 'No Prayer for the Dying' is, to me, still one of the best songs they ever did.

James H

Same with The Police. Most people think it was Sting's band but it was really Copeland's baby and those two never really got on because of it.

Internal conflicts are important, if you're in a band and don't argue the music will suck. You need to fight your corner, you may end up hating each other but the music will be better for it. Take Floyd or Fleetwood Mac, biblical arguments but look what they achieved and why their solo efforts were never really as good.

Blog Entries

Internal conflicts are important, if you're in a band and don't argue the music will suck. You need to fight your corner, you may end up hating each other but the music will be better for it. Take Floyd or Fleetwood Mac, biblical arguments but look what they achieved and why their solo efforts were never really as good.

And at the other end of the scale... Status Quo's Marguerita Time
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Blog Entries

And at the other end of the scale... Status Quo's Marguerita Time
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

+ Reply to Thread