+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another Rush thread...

Blog Entries

Default Another Rush thread...

(Probably one for the Prof, this)

So,

I think I'm becoming a bit of a convert, much to my chagrin

I bought some LPs and some CDs a few years ago in an attempt to get further into Prog - King Crimson, VdGG, Caravan, Camel that sort of thing, as well as some .
    My LPs consist of 2112, Moving pictures, Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres. Initially I was diving into the Ayn Rand concept stuff that takes up one side of an album, because, lets face it, everybody knows that's what Rush is all about. And whilst it was pleasing to have on in the background, it didn't really grab my attention.

Then I started playing Moving Pictures sporadically. A while later I discovered myself humming most of the bloody album. And the lyrics. I had some others on CD - Roll the bones and a couple of others, which I quite enjoyed, although I think that it is a bit of a leap compared to, say Fly by Night. (a bit like listening to some post Woolly Wolstenholme Barclay James Harvest, compared to the first few albums)

So I've recently found on Youtube, some videos - Tom Sawyer, the 'Beyond the Lighted Stage' documentary, and of particular interest was some tech videos of the crew setting up for a concert.

Having done a bit of Wiki research, I've found that there's about 10 live albums.

I've got 'All the World's a Stage' which I find OK, but it doesn't get me fired up in the same way that Iron Maiden's Live After Death, Quo's Live (Apollo 76), AC/DC's If you Want Blood, or Allman Brothers at the Filmore does.

I've just won a copy of Exit... Stage left on't bay, which I hope will be a bit more engaging. I know I'll probably end up buying more of the live stuff as time goes on, so if anyone has any recommendations / must avoids, that would be welcome.

I suspect that, like many bands, they lost their way a bit at times. Any albums I should delay getting (rather than outright avoid) because they're seen to be less accessible/representative? (again I'm drawing comparisons with other bands - BJH, Quo, and countless others)
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

I like Exit a lot.

I have Rush in Rio on DVD and the sound is poor. Far too much crowd noise. I don't know if they overcame this with the music only release.

One of my favourite Rush albums (again ignoring the sound quality as it is horrible) is Hold Your Fire. Great songs although there is a criticism that there are too many keyboards to the detriment of the guitar. I can live with that.

I have Vapor Trails and I can't stand it.

Euan
    20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please God, don't take Kevin Bacon

I have Rush Archives and Hemispheres on vinyl. Not a huge fan but i do like La Villa Strangiato and Tom Sawyer.

I expect Paul will be along soon

Blog Entries

I've heard the song 'Secret Touch' from Vapor Trails on the Documentary and I like it a lot. I've read that there's been a lot of complaints about the sound on Vapor Trails, so much that was completely remixed a couple of years back. I wonder if the remix album is better? or is it the music you don't like, Euan?
    "It's ok your comments are noted, so if you want a war you've got one. Watch your back, ya !!!!...." in an email from Marco 3/4/09

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    I've heard the song 'Secret Touch' from Vapor Trails on the Documentary and I like it a lot. I've read that there's been a lot of complaints about the sound on Vapor Trails, so much that was completely remixed a couple of years back. I wonder if the remix album is better? or is it the music you don't like, Euan?
    don't buy anymore until I have time to group them into 'periods, i don't have time just now, I'll have an hour though later in the evening, I also have an extra vinyl remastered copy of Vapour Trails, i bought in error, you are welcome to it at cost, but it is much better, happy though to let you have them all on CD copies to evaluate, as long as you destroy them once listened all the albums from Kings, to Bones have been redone this year, although not all are published yet, as for live you have the best two concert wise, A show of hands is worthwhile, but has been overproduced and isn't quite as raw as the first two, the other live albums I wouldn't bother with, neither would I bother with the compilations, or the newer ABC 1974 stuff etc.

Ok hope this helps, and it's my opinion, others may disagree (but they will be wrong )
    1 Rush 07/74 Very Zepplin-esque drummer was John Rutsey, he didn't want fame and fortune, if you don't have it, don't rush out and buy it. (See what I Di there)

2 Fly By Night 02/75 Neil Peart joined not a bad song on this one easy touches of the concepts in By-Tor and the Snowdog but more thoughtful songs too, In the End is a fav of mine, but way more powerful on E...SL live album.

3 Caress Of Steel 09/75 other than, 'I Think I'm Going Bald this is a standout album and contains their first real epic 'The Necromancer' this track alone had one member on here go straight home and order the new pressing a few months ago, Lakeside Park is a cracking song about the lazy hazy summers of youth, and Fountain of Lamneth is acoustic and quite beautiful in places.

4 2112 04/76 this you already know, forget the screaming on the first side, it's great but it's what most think of when you mention Rush to them, the second side has some crackers too, Lessons is a standout rock track and the end song Something for Nothing just RAWKS.

5 All The World's A Stage [live] 09/76 A raw culmination of all that's gone before and the end of an era as they followed with The Cygnus X-1 pair

6 A Farewell To Kings 09/77 a very underrated album, but totally amazing, overshadowed by Hemispheres in most people's eyes, but it' sexually accomplished, it also has Rush crown anthem, Closr to the Heart, and here we see Pearts lyrical prowess come right to the fore, the structure of the verses and how each part of the verse counters what went before, amazing song, it also has the first part of Hemispheres in Cynus X-1 where our hero embarks on his journey to the stars in his spaceship Rocinante

7 Hemispheres 10/78 Or Cygnus X-1 Book 2 Hemispheres to give the first side (and the album) its title, the first album by Rush I heard aged 11 hooked from the first 30 seconds, the political Trees (Canada's independence) and of course probably the best Rush track ever, La Villa Strangiato, to hear it live is amazing, so tight, so interesting, and each get their show off bits, doubt many other 3 guys could play it so well, never mind write the bloody thing.

8 Permanent Waves 01/80

9 Moving Pictures 02/81

10 Exit...Stage Left [live] 10/81

11 Signals 09/82

12 Grace Under Pressure 04/84

13 Power Windows 10/85

14 Hold Your Fire 09/87

15 A Show Of Hands [live] 01/89

16 Presto 11/89

17 Roll The Bones 09/91

18 Counterparts 10/93

19 Test For Echo 09/96

20 Different Stages [live] 11/98

21 Vapor Trails 05/02

22 Rush In Rio [live] 10/03

23 Feedback [EP] 06/04

24 Snakes & Arrows 05/07

25 Clockwork Angels 06/12

Gonna come back to this over time, so I will be editing.
    Last edited by The Professor; 30th September 2015 at 21:19.

I have a soft spot for Permanent Waves. So much so I'd chose that one over Moving Pictures. I also like Signals and Power Windows. The synths add an extra dimension - very powerful and emotive music.

Blog Entries

I'll be refreshing this one to get more of your thoughts, Paul. Yeah, I'll take you up on the Vapor Trails vinyl, cheers!

Every time I've listened to All the world's a Stage, I've found 'Lakeside Park' to be a very weak and bland song. particularly when you compare the quality of other later 'ballad' numbers like 'Closer to the Heart'. I know that Caress of Steel almost finished the band recording contract-wise, and it's still very much a misunderstood album. the fact that Bastille day and Lakeside park are the only songs representing the album on All the World's a Stage is a bit perplexing to me as again Bastille Day also seems a bit underwhelming.
    Most of the other numbers on the the Live album are good so I think that the artistic decisions of 1976 regarding 'high points' might be with hindsight a bit blinkered regarding Caress of Steel.

I saw the South Park "Li'll Rush" Tom Sawyer intro on YouTube earlier. Clearly the guys have a great sense of humour.

Neil is quiet, introspective, some say he's aloof, but when people approach him with awe, as some fans do, then he gets embarrassed, he says, I'm just a musician, nothing more.

Geddy is a bit wacky, instead of stacks of Marshall amps like the used to have, it's all in the main pa now, he has hot dog roasting ovens and washing machines behind him.

Alex is a complete loon and is always joking around, total screwball, there's a video on YouTube where he pops into a guitar store in Australia and signs one of his 'signature' endorsed guitars that the shop stocks, nice thing for him to do while on holiday, he was arrested a few years ago for being drunk and disorderly (he was complaining about poor service or something) and he got locked up, was all over the news in N America, funny thing is it's not like him.

Gene Symonds once remarked while Rush in their early days supported Kiss, Gene says after the gig all the crew and the Kiss guys had a party, while the 3 Rush guys had some tea and an early night

Blog Entries

I read the story about Alex's arrest. Apparently he was at the Ritz Carlton for New Year in Florida and his son tried to join the house band on stage and a fracas ensued. Alex intervened and got his nose broken along the way. he might have been tasered by the police too. His release video is on Youtube. Tux covered in blood, that sort of thing. Yeah seems uncharacteristic.

Blog Entries

Who are they?

Quote Originally Posted by TIU View Post
    Who are they?
    Early Rush

Blog Entries

I dunno, 'turds of misery' has a certain Ring* to it

*probaby Stings as well. describes my 'Curry Aftermath' quite succinctly....

Blimey. So the person in the middle must be their original drummer. That photo must have been taken when they were mainly doing Led Zep covers.

Blog Entries

so...

Vapor Trails. bit of a conundrum. I really don't know what to make of it. I mean, I really like it a lot. There's a lot going on. Mamas and Papas type harmonies on a number of the songs. the track ' How it is' sounds a bit like Cast. There also seems to be a bit of a similar feel to the Red Days of the New album in places - the juxtaposition of the Heavy guitars and the acoustics, and the angst as well . I love Alex Lifeson's use of a Nashville tuned guitar all over the album too. (that's the high strings off a 12 string guitar)

I'm in two minds about the mastering - and the wide criticism of it. Yes it's brickwalled, and heavily compressed, But I think it adds to the angst of the album. but it can be fatiguing on the ears. I'll compare it to the remix when I get it.

But musically and lyrically this is a belter of an album. Knowing the circumstances surrounding it makes it all the more of a triumph as well.

The Stars Look Down and Secret Touch are currently my stand-out tracks, followed by Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, Earthshine and Ghost Rider.

Regardless of being a Rush album, it stands as being a really great album. Rarely do I come across an album that I 'get' almost immediately from start to finish. But this goes in my pile with a few select others. Moving Pictures may or may not be in that pile too...

Slippery slope mate, just about all the Rush albums get to you in the end, you'll have more in that pile by the time you are finished, as for lyrics, Peart is a bit of a wordsmith, check out Anagram on Presto, a song with the verses made up of anagrams. Stunning.

As for Vapor Trails the remix still has the angst, but not the harshness. And to think you said Peart lacked soul, Rush have soul in spades, get by Geddy's falsetto and his voice is full of feeling, Lifeson has a sound all his own too, not too often do you find a guitarist who plays lead and rythym in equal accomplishment, your only regret now is why did it take you so long, still like my 14yo daughter you have all that back catalogue to get your teeth into.

Blog Entries

I think a lot of the criticism of Peart is that he's very accurate. To the point that if you loaded a machine with his drum samples, and programmed it, probably a large number of listeners would struggle to identify which is which... :P
    Anyway, he's reinvented his drumming, and recently got so far as 'busking' it rather than having something worked out completely from start to end as he normally does. I think his soul manifests more in in his written words. But the interplay between the three of them works because Peart's a machine Even in 7/4 which is just as well because they do that a lot

So, arrived today, a copy of "Feedback" which I'd forgotten I'd ordered. Now this really is is a corker. it's three guys simply having fun making good music together. Play anyone 'The Seeker' and they'd not believe it's the same guys that did 2112. Shame the album's a bit short. It's brickwalled as well which is a shame, but it's got a similar sound to Vapor trails. Same studio I suppose.

Blog Entries

Vapor Trails Remixed arrived today. Much better.

Lot more 'space' in this version. But I *think* I'm hearing a lot more reverb on the vocals. I'm going to have to rip both to the computer and run them both side by side in Audacity to do a bit of a comparison.
    Listening to Ceiling Unlimited right now and the Toms sound really beefy. The drums overall have more energy. The snare is still a little too 'wet' (reverb) for my own personal preference but that's the way it goes. The guitar sounded a bit thin at the start, but it fills out nicely towards the middle. And there's a new guitar solo at the 4 minute mark. I wonder why they opted to leave it out of the original mix. I can only guess that during the remixing it had long been forgotten, then they found it on a spare track and grinned at each other before deciding to put it back in.

I may struggle to listen to the original again. it's a bit like walking into a room that normally has net curtains up, but they're down and you're amazed at the extra light

Blog Entries

just found the induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of fame on Youtube. Alex's 'Blah Blah Blah' is one of the funniest things I've seen. Fun to see the Foo Fighters doing 2112 in wigs and kimonos too.

Nearly bought the Blu-ray box set of all their live stuff on Amazon, but resisted...

...so far

+ Reply to Thread