+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Another Rush thread...

Quote Originally Posted by cartridgemangler View Post
    so...

Vapor Trails. bit of a conundrum. I really don't know what to make of it. I mean, I really like it a lot. There's a lot going on. Mamas and Papas type harmonies on a number of the songs. the track ' How it is' sounds a bit like Cast. There also seems to be a bit of a similar feel to the Red Days of the New album in places - the juxtaposition of the Heavy guitars and the acoustics, and the angst as well . I love Alex Lifeson's use of a Nashville tuned guitar all over the album too. (that's the high strings off a 12 string guitar)

I'm in two minds about the mastering - and the wide criticism of it. Yes it's brickwalled, and heavily compressed, But I think it adds to the angst of the album. but it can be fatiguing on the ears. I'll compare it to the remix when I get it.

But musically and lyrically this is a belter of an album. Knowing the circumstances surrounding it makes it all the more of a triumph as well.

The Stars Look Down and Secret Touch are currently my stand-out tracks, followed by Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom, Earthshine and Ghost Rider.

Regardless of being a Rush album, it stands as being a really great album. Rarely do I come across an album that I 'get' almost immediately from start to finish. But this goes in my pile with a few select others. Moving Pictures may or may not be in that pile too...
    Had a listen again to the original album in the car and it's not as bad production-wise as I remember. The bass and kick drum have good weight and I can easily distinguish the various instruments. It is a very strong album and one of the better Rush albums IMO. I have two of the remixed/tarted up tracks on a best of comp and they sound great too.
    Last edited by TIU; 22nd December 2016 at 16:45.

+ Reply to Thread