+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ittok azimut ajustement

Default Ittok azimut ajustement

This spring (Febuary 2015) I had a problem when I replace phono cartridge. I notice distortion or bad tracking. These were noticable because of the more resolution of the new cartrige and a recent turntable set up...Rechecked everything and concluded that the tonearm was the problem. Could be bearings....I send it out ot Johnny to check the bearings and all was fine and took the opportunuity to replace the tonearm wire. The tonearm came back and all looked great....I reinstalled everything this november and I still have the same problem....I have rechecked everything all is leveled, cartridge is align but I notice the headshell is not level. The armboard is level, the platter is level, the tonearm is level at the flat part on top of pivot at the bearing.....but the headshell needs to be moved counter clockwise.....how do I do this....to bad that wasn't check when Johnny went over it....

Blog Entries

can you post any pictures of the headshell when the arm is on a record?

and how are you checking the headshell with a small spirit level?
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

And visit my face book page--- check out Audio Origami

http://www.facebook.com/AudioOrigamiTonearms

Default great service and help from Johnny at origami

I have tried without success to unglue the headshell. I didn't want to put to much force. Even with heat it wouldn't move....Anyway, I notice when the screws removed that there was no play . The headshell is already toss to the side and cannot go further counter clockwise.... I would have had to drill holes a bit larger....The Ittok is mailed to Johnny who accepted to cover shipping charge but I will cover my part as I know the Ittok will come back in better shape....I had this problem from day one ....I always notice a bit of channel unbalance and sometimes distortion on certain frequencies.....the more I improved on the turntable this became more noticable....I thought it was the bearing or the cartridge....I was using a old used Troika and a new AT33....upgraded to Cirkus Kit then Hercules/Moses....trampoline 2 and a nice wall shelf. All that made Linn more revealing the the tracking/distortion became more evident,,,,,had the bearing checked and all were fine , new internal wire plus a new SoundSmith retipped....when I reinstalle the whole thing it was evident of the problem.....I guess that's what happen when you upgrade,,,,,I will have to admit Linn quality control is not to thight....my first sub platter was bent....the armboard was not level....so during the upgrade of the lest 10 years and better setup diffrent aspect showed up....

I have to admit the sound is better at all levels of upgrade I have made....and thanks to Johnny for supporting us....

Blog Entries

yea must have been glued incorrectly in the factory ...doesnt happen that often

should be easy for me to fix...ill make the holes 0.5mm bigger and that will allow more than enough movement to get the azimuth perfect
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Blog Entries

headshell removed ...refitted ,...and made adjustable

hope u love the job

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

I have receive the Ittok this morning and I installed it this afternoon....had no problem ajusting azimuth....and now the AT33 is tracking properly...and distortion is nil...at first listening all seems Ok! Johnnie was super in helping me out to solve this problem. The tonearm was return ....all cleaned up and ready (loose screws, loose headshell, enlarge screws hole) for azimuth ajustement....I had always notice some distortion and mistracking throughout the 30 years of ownind the Ittok when installing higher end cartridge...I always return to the Denon because I felt i was more tame and balance...and was happy with it...During the last setup of my Linn I notice the headshell was out of level when all else was level, That light up my concern about the problem I had perceived. After informing myself I realized that the Denon was not showing any problem because of it's shape (conical) and other cartridge being fine nude, microline etc are more revealing and contact the grooves differently and that explained the occasionnal distortion and mistracking. Would like to thanks Johnnie for fixing my problem. My Ittok now sound excellent with the AT33 and looking foward to hearing other cartridges when the opportunuity present....This problem with Ittok seems to be quite rare and not documented....check you Ittok!

Being Mr Pedant, the azimuth is the tilt of the cart and isn't adjusted via the headshell holes. How has making those slightly larger helped with the azimuth?

The headshell on the Ittok is held by 3 screws and glue to the tube. Johnny unglued it and made the hole a tiny bit larger so I can move or tilt the headshell(left or right to rotate) so the cartridge can be tilted and the stylus be perpendicular to the record surface, Usealy, the headshell when it is fixed or glue is correct but it was not the case with my Ittok, This is said to be rare thought.

Blog Entries

yea it came out the factory badly adjusted

who would have thought that about a linn arm ??
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Blog Entries

G

your are the Only guy to spot they are all not perfect

i hope u feel godlike..because u have one of the best arms linn now ...that linn ever NEVER made

ohh and happy christmas

bw
    j7
    Last edited by j7; 26th December 2015 at 00:58.
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Blog Entries

its my arm now...
    so call it the J6 almost a pu7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

I knew or notice something not perfect in the sound from my Ittok since I got it in 1985. Every time I tried a higher end cartrige I would notice some distortion at certain parts on some records on some voice and some instrument like trumpet and trombone, cello even if the cartridge was perfectly aligned. Never bothered with azimuth becase headshell was fixed and had not much knowledge about that....I just tought the higher end cartridge were not for the Ittok so I stayed with the entry level Denon as I felt the sound more balance....When I upgrade My LP12 with Cirkus, New motor and Hercules -Moses and a new at33 the problem was more evident...that is why I send out the tone arm for a bearing check and took the opportunuity for a new cable job. Knowing the tonearm was OK and still had the same problem I suspected the cartridge....and yes it was the cartridge ...it was not perpendicular with the record groove...found out by checking all surfaceare level, from arm board to platter, to plinth all was level and I had a small bubble level that I put on the headshell and bingo...out of level and quite a bit. Never checked that before and I should have but never in my mind thought Linn would miss that...now I have a more revealing cartridge than my Denon with a nice clear detailed sound with no mistracking and distortion, well none I can hear....but then I,m not used to the new amount of details that I hear and I'm not certain I like that more but it is nice to know it can be obtainable with my Ittok. Will now have to get use to more detail and enter a new level of perception .

Johnnie was a real help and support and I thank him....Johnnie are you serious when you say I'm the only one to have spot a badly align headshell on a Ittok.....there should be a few that came out of this bad batch....would like to compare mine with an Ekos to see where it fit soundwise....

Hope this will help some Ittok Owners....

Would like to add that my AT33 is not broken in yet. I'm only at 10-15 hours of used. That does have an effect of my liking of the cartridge.

Blog Entries

hi G

bear in mind your old arm may have damaged some of your well played LPs

when u try with new vinyl your wee face will light up with a massive smile

best wishes of the season

bw
    j7
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

Question

Quote Originally Posted by j7 View Post
    hi G

bear in mind your old arm may have damaged some of your well played LPs

when u try with new vinyl your wee face will light up with a massive smile

best wishes of the season

bw
    j7
    Most likely, but I have played a few old favorite and so far none showed any groove damage.

Should I reglue headshell now that my cartridge is all setup. Would this make a difference as per Linn rigidity statement. If I reglue what glue should I use and can it be unglued if I change cartridge....

Well done J7! Another one chalked up for your superiority over what Linn can do with arms.

Gary, personally I'd leave the adjustabilty there, an Ittok with azimuth adjustment is a rare beast indeed.

And on another note, J7 the Akito you repaired the sticky bearings on is now performing faultlessly, rarely have I heard an Akito 1 perform so well, tis a Godlike one now - Top Man!!!

Quote Originally Posted by John R View Post
    Well done J7! Another one chalked up for your superiority over what Linn can do with arms.

Gary, personally I'd leave the adjustabilty there, an Ittok with azimuth adjustment is a rare beast indeed.
    Will not glue it as will probably need ajustement If I replace cartridge....mine is 1,5 degree off set ....I also notice if i get the cart body square the cantilever is not parralle ..I have to twist the cart ...what is best a square body or a lined cantilever on the grid...

Blog Entries

cantilever is the thing to measure
    www.audioorigami.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread